Upgrade with miles on KLM

Old Apr 2, 19, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Question Upgrade with miles on KLM

I have some KLM miles that are set to expire in a couple months and I would like to use them to upgrade a trip from economy to business class. What is the process to do this? Do I buy the economy ticket online, and then at some point I will be able to access this trip reservation and request a miles upgrade? When I went through the ticket purchase process (which I did not yet complete), I was never prompted to apply miles to an upgrade. Do I need to call customer service to upgrade? Does KLM post a chart anywhere showing the cost in miles to upgrade various types of trips?
Old Apr 2, 19, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
If an upgrade is available, it will be offered to you when viewing your booking on the KLM website while logged in to your Flying Blue account.

You cannot upgrade using miles as part of the purchase process of buying a ticket on the KLM website.

Flying Blue now operates variable pricing; you won't know exactly how much they will ask until you actually have a booking and look it up.

I would, however, advise you find a better way of getting rid of your miles - upgrade pricing is terrible.

(You can donate miles to charity before they expire)

As you see here, it is frequently as expensive, or even more expensive, to upgrade with miles than to redeem into the Business cabin outright using miles...
Attached Images    

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 2, 19 at 12:22 pm
Old Apr 2, 19, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post

I would, however, advise you find a better way of getting rid of your miles - upgrade pricing is terrible.

(You can donate miles to charity before they expire)

As you see here, it is frequently as expensive, or even more expensive, to upgrade with miles than to redeem into the Business cabin outright using miles...
This is great information, thanks! I will now likely use the miles to purchase shorter inter-Europe flights as opposed to upgrading transatlantic flights.
Old Apr 3, 19, 2:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Strange that we're seeing the WA (KLM cityhopper) code in the itinerary above. Is that being used for cityhopper flights from now?

I sort of gave up even thinking about upgrading with miles years ago. It's either an appalling use of miles or not possible at all. The only program where I managed it from any booking class was the Air Berlin Topbonus one.
Old Apr 3, 19, 3:16 am

Programs: KL Platinum, LA Black, A3 Gold, BA Silver, IB Oro
Well, I have experienced upgrade for about 33k miles + 80€ on HKG-AMS flight, done at check in counter. Noticed a few people in March trying to buy upd at JFK gate, also mix cash+miles but that is too risky because the space simply may not be there. April promo awards suck but you can always hope for better in May
Old Apr 4, 19, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Strange that we're seeing the WA (KLM cityhopper) code in the itinerary above. Is that being used for cityhopper flights from now?
They show up as WA on the upgrade page, and have done for a long time now.
Old Apr 4, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Guess I never buy those upgrades then! I think on most of the short flights, it's just not worth it unless you need the lounge access.

Search this Thread