Sudden Jump In Prices

Old Mar 15, 19, 7:03 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 37
Sudden Jump In Prices

Hi all,

I've been looking at LON->BRU flights over the past week and the prices have been creeping daily as I would have expected. I was looking to fly out end of next week and return for Easter.

Looking today and the prices have literally double (at least) from where they were yesterday.

Any idea if this is a glitch or simply a timing issue?

I wasn't able to book because I was waiting on a work contract to be finalised.
snoopy1664 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:12 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hotels.com Silver,
Posts: 47
Not sure if this is the same issue but I have noticed the KLM prices really went up over the last weeks on the short routes, for short trips (one, two nights) during the week, booked around a month in advance.. Aberdeen the cheapest option being 894 Euro, Norwich for 500Euro, Warsaw 600Euro. Normally those flights would be around 300E. Has it been demand driven?
DukeOfSilesia is offline  
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:44 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Brussels
Programs: SPG/Marriott PPE, KL/AF FB Plat
Posts: 245

Nice example for Easter: 600 euro 3 days ago, 976 today.
arjen05 is offline  
Old Mar 15, 19, 12:05 pm
  #4  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Posts: 1,571
All sorts of reasons can cause this, but it's pretty likely the load is just higher. Once cheaper fare buckets get filled, prices get pretty high as the last seats go on sale.
caliform is offline  
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: AMS / ATH
Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Posts: 4,843
Also, keep in mind that many fares have a advance purchase requirement. After that date only the more expensive fares will remain.
Xandrios is offline  
Old Mar 17, 19, 12:47 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Brussels
Programs: SPG/Marriott PPE, KL/AF FB Plat
Posts: 245
By the way, I would rather take the train from LON to BRU or a direct flight for this short distance - KL doesn't have any direct flights so you'll have to take fly via AMS, pass trough immigration there (you're arriving from non-Schengen), immigration lines can be pretty long in AMS and there's no skypriority there.
arjen05 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 10:35 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 23,951
Originally Posted by snoopy1664 View Post
I was looking to fly out end of next week and return for Easter.

Looking today and the prices have literally double (at least) from where they were yesterday.

Any idea if this is a glitch or simply a timing issue?
many of the cheaper fares have advance purchase requirements.

14 days is one fairly frequent one; it sounds like that may be part of what has happened here.




(Easter is always a busy time, so booking this late for travel that involves Easter was always going to be pricey. I always book my Easter travel as soon as the flights go on sale!)
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 10:43 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 23,951
Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
By the way, I would rather take the train from LON to BRU or a direct flight for this short distance - KL doesn't have any direct flights so you'll have to take fly via AMS, pass trough immigration there (you're arriving from non-Schengen), immigration lines can be pretty long in AMS and there's no skypriority there.
Plus the train would give you less vliegschaamte!
Thysk and glennhaak like this.
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 11:23 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 259
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Plus the train would give you less vliegschaamte!
Railertalk.com is available if you want to start a movement
Carel1, Thysk and glennhaak like this.
CosmicGirl is offline  
Old Mar 18, 19, 5:36 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: OTP, CHQ, EIN and beyond
Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
Posts: 1,060
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Plus the train would give you less vliegschaamte!
Isn't uttering that word of 'vliegschaamte' alone heresy here? Let me perform a little bit of AFKL exorcism to please the spirit of the frequent flying god

Thysk likes this.
Romanianflyer is online now  
Old Mar 19, 19, 2:02 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,564
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I always book my Easter travel as soon as the flights go on sale
I prefer a different approach: unless I absolutely have to, I do not travel during Easter, or any other very busy period.

I certainly make sure to schedule all leisure trips to avoid travel peaks. Flying is enough of a hassle as is, and tourism has become a worldwide scourge of epic dimensions.

Johan
fifty_two likes this.
johan rebel is offline  
Old May 5, 19, 8:39 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Germany, France
Programs: FB Platinum
Posts: 14
If you are looking at prices a lot, I have the feeling they go up, the more you do your research. It might be a good idea to use different computers/IP adresses, or use a browser on private settings. Also, do not log in with you your member details before searching on an airlines website.
Travelshootaz is offline  
Old May 5, 19, 8:44 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Brussels
Programs: SPG/Marriott PPE, KL/AF FB Plat
Posts: 245
Show us your research with some screenshots.
glennhaak likes this.
arjen05 is offline  
Old May 6, 19, 4:56 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Posts: 294
Originally Posted by Travelshootaz View Post
If you are looking at prices a lot, I have the feeling they go up, the more you do your research. It might be a good idea to use different computers/IP adresses, or use a browser on private settings. Also, do not log in with you your member details before searching on an airlines website.
Indeed, golden advice here. Prices go up by about 10 euros every time you look at a flight on an identifiable browser. Utterly despicable, yet effective, practice.

ALWAYS go stealth.
Maestro Ramen is offline  
Old May 7, 19, 1:54 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: AMS
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
Indeed, golden advice here. Prices go up by about 10 euros every time you look at a flight on an identifiable browser. Utterly despicable, yet effective, practice.

ALWAYS go stealth.
You are kidding right? This is an illegal practice -at least in the EU-
glennhaak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread