Sudden Jump In Prices

Old Mar 15, 19, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Sudden Jump In Prices

Hi all,

I've been looking at LON->BRU flights over the past week and the prices have been creeping daily as I would have expected. I was looking to fly out end of next week and return for Easter.

Looking today and the prices have literally double (at least) from where they were yesterday.

Any idea if this is a glitch or simply a timing issue?

I wasn't able to book because I was waiting on a work contract to be finalised.
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hotels.com Silver,
Not sure if this is the same issue but I have noticed the KLM prices really went up over the last weeks on the short routes, for short trips (one, two nights) during the week, booked around a month in advance.. Aberdeen the cheapest option being 894 Euro, Norwich for 500Euro, Warsaw 600Euro. Normally those flights would be around 300E. Has it been demand driven?
Old Mar 15, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott PPE, KL/AF FB Plat

Nice example for Easter: 600 euro 3 days ago, 976 today.
Old Mar 15, 19, 12:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
All sorts of reasons can cause this, but it's pretty likely the load is just higher. Once cheaper fare buckets get filled, prices get pretty high as the last seats go on sale.
Old Mar 15, 19, 2:57 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Also, keep in mind that many fares have a advance purchase requirement. After that date only the more expensive fares will remain.
Old Mar 17, 19, 12:47 pm

By the way, I would rather take the train from LON to BRU or a direct flight for this short distance - KL doesn't have any direct flights so you'll have to take fly via AMS, pass trough immigration there (you're arriving from non-Schengen), immigration lines can be pretty long in AMS and there's no skypriority there.
Old Mar 18, 19, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by snoopy1664 View Post
I was looking to fly out end of next week and return for Easter.

Looking today and the prices have literally double (at least) from where they were yesterday.

Any idea if this is a glitch or simply a timing issue?
many of the cheaper fares have advance purchase requirements.

14 days is one fairly frequent one; it sounds like that may be part of what has happened here.

(Easter is always a busy time, so booking this late for travel that involves Easter was always going to be pricey. I always book my Easter travel as soon as the flights go on sale!)
Old Mar 18, 19, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
By the way, I would rather take the train from LON to BRU or a direct flight for this short distance - KL doesn't have any direct flights so you'll have to take fly via AMS, pass trough immigration there (you're arriving from non-Schengen), immigration lines can be pretty long in AMS and there's no skypriority there.
Plus the train would give you less vliegschaamte!
Thysk and glennhaak like this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Railertalk.com is available if you want to start a movement
Carel1, Thysk and glennhaak like this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 5:36 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
Isn't uttering that word of 'vliegschaamte' alone heresy here? Let me perform a little bit of AFKL exorcism to please the spirit of the frequent flying god

Thysk likes this.
Old Mar 19, 19, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always book my Easter travel as soon as the flights go on sale
I prefer a different approach: unless I absolutely have to, I do not travel during Easter, or any other very busy period.

I certainly make sure to schedule all leisure trips to avoid travel peaks. Flying is enough of a hassle as is, and tourism has become a worldwide scourge of epic dimensions.

Johan
fifty_two likes this.
Old May 5, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum
If you are looking at prices a lot, I have the feeling they go up, the more you do your research. It might be a good idea to use different computers/IP adresses, or use a browser on private settings. Also, do not log in with you your member details before searching on an airlines website.
Old May 5, 19, 8:44 am

Show us your research with some screenshots.
glennhaak likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 4:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Originally Posted by Travelshootaz View Post
If you are looking at prices a lot, I have the feeling they go up, the more you do your research. It might be a good idea to use different computers/IP adresses, or use a browser on private settings. Also, do not log in with you your member details before searching on an airlines website.
Indeed, golden advice here. Prices go up by about 10 euros every time you look at a flight on an identifiable browser. Utterly despicable, yet effective, practice.

ALWAYS go stealth.
Old May 7, 19, 1:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
Indeed, golden advice here. Prices go up by about 10 euros every time you look at a flight on an identifiable browser. Utterly despicable, yet effective, practice.

ALWAYS go stealth.
You are kidding right? This is an illegal practice -at least in the EU-

Search this Thread