Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF/KLM upgrade L to J ?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

AF/KLM upgrade L to J ?

Hi all. I’m flying GVA-AMS-SFO on May 12th. I’ve been trying to upgrade my AMS-SFO Eco (L fare) flight to J via the website very often on but it always says all eligible seats are taken. Setting up an alert on ExpertFlyer for O didn’t bring any positive either. Tried calling FB hotline, they say the upgrade would eventually be possible and cost 25k miles but confirm there is no availability but I should keep trying.

We’re 6 days from take off and I need your advice: what do you think my chances are of having availability via the platform before take off ? Or at check in ? Or even after boarding ? I have no elite status. I’m mostly asking this because I need to transfer my miles from Amex to FB before departing but want to avoid if my chances are close to zero.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited by ftee; May 6, 2019 at 1:12 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can we assume that you have. KLM ticket for a KLM operated and marketed nonstop from AMS to SFO?

I'd be pessimistic, although it could depend somewhat on what day of the week you're traveling, which I am deliberately not bothering to check myself. Also, how can July 12th be "six days from takeoff"?

AFAIK you cannot be upgraded on board, nor would there be a mechanism to pay with miles for the upgrade on board.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can we assume that you have. KLM ticket for a KLM operated and marketed nonstop from AMS to SFO?

I'd be pessimistic, although it could depend somewhat on what day of the week you're traveling, which I am deliberately not bothering to check myself. Also, how can July 12th be "six days from takeoff"?

AFAIK you cannot be upgraded on board, nor would there be a mechanism to pay with miles for the upgrade on board.
Thanks for the answer.
Yes, KLM issued AMS-SFO.
Sorry, I didn't mean July 12th but may 12th. Corrected in the post. Flight is on a sunday.
You can actually be upgraded on board, with cash or miles with AF/KLM. Many posts on FT about it (e.g. Buy upgrade on board - really ?)
Old May 9, 2019, 7:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Your best bet would be a day of departure upgrade. These can be processed at the airport or if you’re really nice and a Plat Elite, by phone. Check as soon as you can the day-of to acquire a leftover seat.

That being said, SFO-AMS is a premium heavy route. I always fly it in business and I’ve never seen an empty seat or free seats a few days out. good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.