Old May 7, 2019, 2:03 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by glennhaak
You are kidding right? This is an illegal practice -at least in the EU-
not sure it is illegal. It's simply marketing imho :-(
Old May 7, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Indeed, golden advice here. Prices go up by about 10 euros every time you look at a flight on an identifiable browser. Utterly despicable, yet effective, practice.

ALWAYS go stealth.
While this might be true for some OTAs, I never saw such practice on AF/KL websites, quite often I would run the search multiple times in a span of few days before finally booking my flight, always using the same computer/browser and often even logged in to my FB account.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
This happened to me on kl.com this year.
Was eyeing a flight at £168.
Checked a bit too often.
Went to £190.
Though "oh sh**t" and bought it.
Thought "wait a minute" and looked it up again the next day.
Flight was £168
Hated myself and said never again.

Should I have complained instead???
Old May 7, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Checked a bit too often.
Went to £190.
Flight was £168

Maybe someone cancelled which opened up the cheaper farebucket again, there are many reasons why this can happen and there is no conspiracy. It was plain bad luck.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
My guess is it is not about checking too often, it is about waiting and then the seats in a fare bucket are bought by others and the price then goes up. But then if competitors keep on having lower prices, the yield management system at some point may reduce the price again. I have seen this quite a few times, lately with Aeroflot AMS-BKK return that initially was 575, then jumped over 600, and later on went back to 575 when I decided to go for it. Dynamic pricing systems.......I check sometimes prices more than once a day but usually they stay stable, suggesting price checking is not an issue...
irishguy28 and glennhaak like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by atflyer
My guess is it is not about checking too often, it is about waiting and then the seats in a fare bucket are bought by others and the price then goes up. But then if competitors keep on having lower prices, the yield management system at some point may reduce the price again. I have seen this quite a few times, lately with Aeroflot AMS-BKK return that initially was 575, then jumped over 600, and later on went back to 575 when I decided to go for it. Dynamic pricing systems.......I check sometimes prices more than once a day but usually they stay stable, suggesting price checking is not an issue...
This exactly... I got rid of my tinfoil hat years ago when I read a bit about airline yield management and pricing
Old May 9, 2019, 1:03 am

Checked a bit too often.
Went to £190.
Flight was £168

This is a conspiracy theory.

No European airline is doing this, it's EU law and penalties are high plus the damage to the brand will be irreparable.

What could have happened to you that a certain fare class was not available at the moment of booking, but later it was available.

Some airlines (KLM fx) have an option to reserve a ticket for free (or fee) for 24 hrs. In that period that fare is not available but will get released after the 24 hours are expired.
That might have happened with your fare.
glennhaak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.