AMS caps a.m. Widebody Flights at 41

Old Mar 8, 19, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AMS caps a.m. Widebody Flights at 41

From S19, only 41 widebodies will be permitted to land at AMS between 7h20 and 10h30 a.m.

Due to the lack of slots, airlines have been substituting widebody aircraft for narrowbodies, leading to a shortage of suitable gates. Up to ten widebodies are parked at at remote stands every day.

The opening of the A concourse later this year will provide only partial relief, so widebody restrictions will be implemented in W19 as well.

Source: Luchtvaartnieuws.nl

Johan
Old Mar 8, 19, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Due to the lack of slots, airlines have been substituting widebody aircraft for narrowbodies
Is that not weird ? If you lack slost, you usually substitute narrowbodies by widebodies.
Old Mar 8, 19, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Is that not weird?
No, 'cause it perfectly clear.

You can substitute for and substitute with, but not substitute by.

See here for elucidation.

Johan
nancypants and florin like this.
Old Mar 9, 19, 3:21 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
The issue is gates. AMS only has, exactly, 41 gates that suit widebodies (as per the comments on the quoted article).

Basically they do not want to rely as much (or at all) on remote stands for widebody aircraft, as that negatively impacts the user experience. They quote security concerns, of course, but we all know that is BS. It may very well be some kind of political play to get something done with Lelystad airport.

Though on the other hand one could argue that Schiphol has prepared insufficiently for the capacity limit; they should have seen this situation coming and convert more gates into wide-body suitable ones.
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
The issue is gates. AMS only has, exactly, 41 gates that suit widebodies (as per the comments on the quoted article).
But surely a wide-body that lands at 7h20 is out long before 10h30, so that limit sounds too artificial if compared to the number of gates
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
But surely a wide-body that lands at 7h20 is out long before 10h30, so that limit sounds too artificial if compared to the number of gates
That sounds quite quick for a turnaround of a wide body...

Delta's N801NW landed this morning at 07:22 (an hour early) and didn't leave again until 2.5 hours later (admittedly, it was only scheduled to be on the ground for 130 minutes)
Old Mar 9, 19, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wonder how they will allocate those 41 slots.

They are not likely to inconvenience KL at its home base, so who are they going to pick on?If other airlines have to bear the full brunt, it may be construed as anticompetitive.

And yes, Schiphol has brought this upon itself. The airport has spent the past several years shooting itself in the foot again and again.

Johan
Old Mar 10, 19, 11:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
They should build a small terminal at the polderbaan and have all the low cost airlines use that and the runway. Much more room at Schiphol for the big boys and Haarlem can name itís own airport.
Old Mar 11, 19, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
That sounds quite quick for a turnaround of a wide body...

Delta's N801NW landed this morning at 07:22 (an hour early) and didn't leave again until 2.5 hours later (admittedly, it was only scheduled to be on the ground for 130 minutes)
I checked a couple of wide bodies turnarounds, they are all ~2hrs, while the limit applies during 3h10...
Old Mar 11, 19, 3:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer View Post
They should build a small terminal at the polderbaan and have all the low cost airlines use that and the runway. Much more room at Schiphol for the big boys and Haarlem can name itís own airport.
The polderbaan can only be used for Northbound TO and Southbound LD afaik, so you can't hope to restrict it to low-cost only, otherwise you will have days lowcosts can only land but not take-off and vice versa

However, an additional terminal in that area doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. Make good use of all those kilometers of taxiway networks!
Old Mar 12, 19, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
otherwise you will have days lowcosts can only land but not take-off and vice versa
Not to mention all those days when it cannot be used at all due to its perfect alignment with the prevailing winds.

Johan
Old Mar 12, 19, 4:21 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
The polderbaan can only be used for Northbound TO and Southbound LD afaik, so you can't hope to restrict it to low-cost only, otherwise you will have days lowcosts can only land but not take-off and vice versa

However, an additional terminal in that area doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. Make good use of all those kilometers of taxiway networks!
I believe that limitation is due to the way taxiways are built, and could be changed relatively easily if needed.

I'm afraid that the bewoners of Hoofdorp would block it though.
Old Mar 12, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory
I believe I SOMEWHERE have a book (from the early 90's, I estimate) in which there is a sketch drawing of the future Schiphol with such terminal visible indeed. And the plans still comes up once every few years, IIRC.
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by KL895 View Post
I believe I SOMEWHERE have a book (from the early 90's, I estimate) in which there is a sketch drawing of the future Schiphol with such terminal visible indeed. And the plans still comes up once every few years, IIRC.
I believe you are right, late 90's there were plans for such a terminal, I think including monorail or such.
Old Aug 1, 19, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MS is the latest airline to replace narrowbody aircraft with widebodies on flights to AMS, starting W19.

Taxiing past the F, E and D concourses at lunchtime the other day, all the gates that could accomodate widebodies were occupied, as were the remote E stands. At one of the latter they were just preparing to board in pouring rain.

Oh, the joys of flying from AMS!

Johan

Search this Thread