Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM didn't credit my flight to Delta, is this a lost cause?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

KLM didn't credit my flight to Delta, is this a lost cause?

I had a flight from BKK-AMS on KLM that I upgraded with miles. When I checked in, I gave them my Delta Skymiles number and asked them to credit the flight there. It was a pretty frantic check in because we had a dog so there was a lot of other paperwork flying around. When I went to take the return flight a few months ago I noticed that the miles had been credited to my KLM account instead, and I contacted them to transfer them to Delta. They said it wasn't possible, because even though I had added my Delta account, my KLM number was still on the ticket because we had used KLM miles to upgrade. They have acknowledged that I asked to credit the miles to Delta at check-in, but said there's nothing they can do because the miles are already in my KLM account.

Here's their most recent email:

For your future reference, please be advised that once Flying Blue number is registered to your booking, there will be a highly likely possibility that your flight Miles would be credited to Flying Blue, even when you add another program's frequesnt flyer number later on.

As stated in our Terms & Conditions section 1.2.12 and 2.10, we regret to inform you again that we are unable to remove the Miles once credited. Therefore, we would like to kindly advise you to not to utilize your Flying blue number to login when making reservations or managing your booking online, as it will lead to your Flying Blue number to be associated to your reservation automatically. In addition, please note that Flying Blue number can also be added to your reservation if you mention your Flying Blue number at the time of booking, check-in or when you attempt to utilize Flying Blue member benefits such as upgrades.

Does this not seem sort of strange? Is there anything I can do, or is this a lost cause?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Once they're credited, they're credited, there's no way to move them elsewhere.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
Once they're credited, they're credited, there's no way to move them elsewhere.
I'm just surprised they aren't willing to take any responsibility for what was clearly their mistake (and other airlines can move miles elsewhere)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by giblet
I had a flight from BKK-AMS on KLM that I upgraded with miles. When I checked in, I gave them my Delta Skymiles number and asked them to credit the flight there. It was a pretty frantic check in because we had a dog so there was a lot of other paperwork flying around. When I went to take the return flight a few months ago I noticed that the miles had been credited to my KLM account instead, and I contacted them to transfer them to Delta. They said it wasn't possible, because even though I had added my Delta account, my KLM number was still on the ticket because we had used KLM miles to upgrade. They have acknowledged that I asked to credit the miles to Delta at check-in, but said there's nothing they can do because the miles are already in my KLM account.
Did you boarding pass print out with your SM# or FB#?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tbaiyun
Did you boarding pass print out with your SM# or FB#?
I'm not sure. They do not dispute the fact that I asked them to credit my Delta account, rather they are saying because I used KLM miles to upgrade the flight a few months earlier, it was impossible to credit the miles to Delta.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Your posts says you asked them to credit to Dejta but you didn’t t say what the agent’s response was. I assume he or she said no problem we can do that here’s your boarding pass?

And now they’re basically saying the agent screwed up and shouldn’t have told you that? But they can’t compensate you on Delta miles for that error.

What I find odd is them saying it’s “highly likely” the miles will be credited by KLM and not the partner under these circumstances. Should this be either a yes we can credit to the partner or no we can’t situation? Why is there an element of luck or likelihood?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Your posts says you asked them to credit to Dejta but you didn’t t say what the agent’s response was. I assume he or she said no problem we can do that here’s your boarding pass?

Correct. Or at least, they definitely did not say that they could not do it. Because of the dog, there was a lot going on at the check-in counter so I can't testify to exactly what they said, but I walked away believing that my miles would be credited to Delta.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
And now they’re basically saying the agent screwed up and shouldn’t have told you that? But they can’t compensate you on Delta miles for that error

​​​​What I find odd is them saying it’s “highly likely” the miles will be credited by KLM and not the partner under these circumstances. Should this be either a yes we can credit to the partner or no we can’t situation? Why is there an element of luck or likelihood?
I don't think they are suggesting that anyone on their side made any mistake, just that I should have known that even though they added my Skymiles account number to the booking they are not technologically capable of crediting the miles to Delta because I had used my KLM account to upgrade the ticket.

It's a bizarre response overall. They are saying they are not technologically capable of doing things that most middling airlines in the world are capable of doing, and they are Holland's flagship carrier? One should be able to upgrade with one miles program and change it to another for the miles credit. That's pretty standard and I've done it on other airlines. I also don't believe that they can't take miles out of their program and transfer them elsewhere.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think you can use KLM miles to "pay" for an upgrade and then credit the flight to DL. Moreover, if there were earlier flights on the ticket/PNR that you credited to KLM, you should note that DL won't permit you to change the FF number on an itinerary after the first flight has been boarded/flown (or maybe even the cutoff is when you check in?). DL apparently won't permit you to use one FF number for status benefits and a different program's FF number to credit the flight. [Some carriers such as SQ and others in *A are known to permit this and in fact have two FF number fields in their systems.] On the KLM side, once you use KLM miles for the upgrade, the system probably won't permit you to credit the flight to a different program or to change the FF number on the reservation.
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.