Canít book multi city online

Old Jan 10, 19, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Canít book multi city online

So Iím thinking of booking this itinerary:
02/22 CPH-PDX (via AMS)
03/08 BKK-CPH (via AMS)

KLM operates both of these legs but they canít be booked together? Any idea why? Booking them as two one-way legs is way too expensive.

For fun I tried selecting different departure cities instead of BKK, like KUL or HKG but no dice. It works fine if the departure city is in, say, the US or South America.

Would it be bookable via phone?
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: FB plat for life
sorry - messed up
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:50 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
You can book open jaws on the same continent, but not if destination outbound and city from where you fly inbound are on different continents. KL will see this itinerary as 2 one way flights.

Last edited by atflyer; Jan 10, 19 at 9:13 pm
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
You can book open jaws on the same continent, but not of destiation outbound and city from where you fly inbound are on different continents. KL will see this itinerary as 2 one way flights.
ah, didnít know that. thanks for clearing it up.
Old Jan 10, 19, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by Naboo79 View Post
KLM operates both of these legs
Just FYI, KLM doesn't operate to PDX - that route is operated by Delta.
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:26 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
You can book open jaws on the same continent, but not if destination outbound and city from where you fly inbound are on different continents. KL will see this itinerary as 2 one way flights.
Aren't there many more restrictions? As far as I know you cannot pick two random cities that they fly to (even if on the same continent), they have to be within the same geographical area. And even then I believe it's not always possible..
Old Jan 14, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Plat
I have been able to book open jaws AMS-Latin America, North America-AMS. Are the Americas seen as one continent?
Old Jan 14, 19, 4:26 pm

I suspect the fare rules will highlight what you can combine.
Old Jan 16, 19, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Aren't there many more restrictions? As far as I know you cannot pick two random cities that they fly to (even if on the same continent), they have to be within the same geographical area. And even then I believe it's not always possible..
AMS-Asia or AMS-North America works for very different city pairs on the continent, is my experience. Within Europe, it is within countries or regions - you can have open jaws in France or Germany, but not between a French and German city. Just try out what works...it is fun and often in 10 minutes you find something feasible and cheap.
Old Feb 4, 19, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*
oops, posted in the wrong place

Last edited by DavidDTW; Feb 4, 19 at 7:07 pm
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:26 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well I've been doing quite well booking unusual double openjaw itineraries in Europe, for example DUS-AMS-GVA/LHR-AMS-BRU and BSL-AMS-LHR/DUS-CDG-GVA, where the openjaw at point of destination is represented by a forward slash. These varied from EUR136 (latter) to EUR171 (former). I ended up paying a bit more, because I dithered over dates for a while.

Both were bookable at Expedia and KLM.com. The only thing that worried me with such irregular itineraries is what would happen with irrops (like winter issues). That could have messed up a series of well laid plans!
Old Feb 5, 19, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Well I've been doing quite well booking unusual double openjaw itineraries in Europe, for example DUS-AMS-GVA/LHR-AMS-BRU and BSL-AMS-LHR/DUS-CDG-GVA, where the openjaw at point of destination is represented by a forward slash. These varied from EUR136 (latter) to EUR171 (former). I ended up paying a bit more, because I dithered over dates for a while.

Both were bookable at Expedia and KLM.com. The only thing that worried me with such irregular itineraries is what would happen with irrops (like winter issues). That could have messed up a series of well laid plans!
Interesting. I like to play around with such kind of weird journeys so I am certainly going to try ;-)

Search this Thread