Wiki Posts
Search

Name too long for ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Name too long for ticket

I just recently booked a ticket for our newborn via the platinum line. As the little one has three first names and a double (non-hyphenated) last name, the agent informed me that the name was too long for the ticket. He said he could issue the ticket for Firstname1 Lastname1, and following me raising concerns over whether this will be accepted given the passport lists her name as Firstname1 Firstname2 Firstname3 Lastname1 Lastname2, he stated those were standard procedures.

I have three first names myself only ever give the first one, but I'm concerned abut the second last name missing from the ticket. Anyone know whether this will be a problem?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Maybe you should not have given your kid so much names and double last name ;-). Just kidding of course. I have no experience, but there must be loads of people from the South of the Netherlands having say 4 first names (which is a Catholic tradition), and loads of Hispanics that get this double last name from both parents. I hope some people with such background can share their experiences. I further would assume a plat line assistant knows what he/she is doing (but your never know, obviously). And, btw, congrats with the marvel of having your newborn or course.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:29 am

The agent is right and it won't be a problem. There is a maximum number of characters allowed in all booking systems and very long first or last names are cut short as well.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by mfkne
I just recently booked a ticket for our newborn via the platinum line. As the little one has three first names and a double (non-hyphenated) last name, the agent informed me that the name was too long for the ticket. He said he could issue the ticket for Firstname1 Lastname1, and following me raising concerns over whether this will be accepted given the passport lists her name as Firstname1 Firstname2 Firstname3 Lastname1 Lastname2, he stated those were standard procedures.

I have three first names myself only ever give the first one, but I'm concerned abut the second last name missing from the ticket. Anyone know whether this will be a problem?
Three first names or one first name and two middle names? I have three names before my surname but only one is classed as a first name and second and third are classed as middle names.

Anyway, its not really an issue when you fly.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
I technically have 3 first names on my passport but I only use the first one. It has never ever been an issue.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Billyfergus
Three first names or one first name and two middle names?
My passport only distinguishes between surname and given names.

I believe there's a maximum number of characters allowed, so not all given names will necessarily be listed in the passport.

Johan
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mirk
I technically have 3 first names on my passport but I only use the first one.
Depending on who makes the booking, my ticket will either state my first given name, or the first one plus the initial of the second.

Indeed, never ever an issue.

Johan
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Like I said, I'm not concerned that only the first firstname is given in the ticket, but more that only the first half of the lastname.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
My passport only distinguishes between surname and given names.

I believe there's a maximum number of characters allowed, so not all given names will necessarily be listed in the passport.

Johan
The passport is where all given names should be listed!

Even if you have your passport issued under an alias [as some countries still allow] or a shortened name due to the passport character limit (which for UK passports is 30 characters for all surnames and 30 characters for all given names)), the full name as registered at birth or by deed poll should be shown on the accompanying observations page.

Otherwise, it cannot be accounted for why the passport and birth certificate don't match!

[Registering with the Dutch authorities was "fun" because they had no way of accounting for the registration of a person whose passport name and birth certificate name are different, as is the case for me]
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The passport is where all given names should be listed!
I cannot recall the details, but some Dutchman with a very long and fancy aristocratic surname took the goverment to court some years ago because they refused to record his full name in his passport.

Johan
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
the registration of a person whose passport name and birth certificate name are different
I just had to check.

I've got three birth certificates issued by three different countries, and they all list the same given and surnames, which match my passport. Phew!

Johan
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I just had to check.

I've got three birth certificates issued by three different countries, and they all list the same given and surnames, which match my passport. Phew!

Johan
Were you born three times?
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
As all of us know Johan is a (very) frequent flyer. Maybe kid of parents with different nationalities and/or born on a flight from country A to B with a carrier based in C? ;-)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Change the baby's name to John Smith.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atflyer
Maybe kid of parents with different nationalities and/or born on a flight from country A to B with a carrier based in C? ;-)
Almost.

Parents with different nationalities, born in a third country. All three must have been happy to issue the birth certificates I still have in my possession.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.