Route cancelled - rebooking options

Old Dec 27, 18, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold
Route cancelled - rebooking options

Hi everyone, given the ample experience on this board, I'd appreciate your views on the following situation:
for a family member (no FF status), I purchased a ticket AAA-BBB-AMS-SFO (return) - all segments KL-coded; the ticket was KL-issued (purchased through KLM website); but only the TATL segments were KL-operated. The route AAA-BBB (and back) was now cancelled by the operating airline. Therefore, I reached out to KLM. My preference was to change the origin of the ticket to any of the three regional airports to which KLM flies directly (thus, the ticket would become CCC-AMS-SFO, where all segments would be KL-operated and coded), since travel to BBB would be highly impractical (an extra day of travel each way, hotel costs, etc). Importantly, none of the regional airports (or BBB) are in the same country as the original starting point, but all countries are in the EU.

The agent on the phone told me that the only solution is to cancel the whole ticket, get the money back, and then buy a new ticket. But the tickets to SFO are now prohibitively expensive (triple the price paid originally, as the travel dates are drawing near). The agent also refused to remove the AAA-BBB segments and leave the remainder of the ticket untouched (I was willing to pay the extra taxes of approx 20 Eur, but not the fare increase which was over a thousand Eur).

So I am wondering what my options realistically are, and whether I should try to call KLM again and try asking them to change the ticket to CCC-AMS-SFO, or whether I should deliver the family member the disappointing news that their travel to SFO is now impossible.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old Dec 27, 18, 3:47 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Originally Posted by ok986 View Post
Hi everyone, given the ample experience on this board, I'd appreciate your views on the following situation:
for a family member (no FF status), I purchased a ticket AAA-BBB-AMS-SFO (return) - all segments KL-coded; the ticket was KL-issued (purchased through KLM website); but only the TATL segments were KL-operated. The route AAA-BBB (and back) was now cancelled by the operating airline. Therefore, I reached out to KLM. My preference was to change the origin of the ticket to any of the three regional airports to which KLM flies directly (thus, the ticket would become CCC-AMS-SFO, where all segments would be KL-operated and coded), since travel to BBB would be highly impractical (an extra day of travel each way, hotel costs, etc). Importantly, none of the regional airports (or BBB) are in the same country as the original starting point, but all countries are in the EU.

The agent on the phone told me that the only solution is to cancel the whole ticket, get the money back, and then buy a new ticket. But the tickets to SFO are now prohibitively expensive (triple the price paid originally, as the travel dates are drawing near). The agent also refused to remove the AAA-BBB segments and leave the remainder of the ticket untouched (I was willing to pay the extra taxes of approx 20 Eur, but not the fare increase which was over a thousand Eur).

So I am wondering what my options realistically are, and whether I should try to call KLM again and try asking them to change the ticket to CCC-AMS-SFO, or whether I should deliver the family member the disappointing news that their travel to SFO is now impossible.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
For a good advice tell us what AAA, BBB and CCC are. Always wonder why a TO expects a good advice without telling the whole route. Or is it very secret?
irishguy28 and Ditto like this.
Old Dec 27, 18, 4:12 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by tgv2 View Post
For a good advice tell us what AAA, BBB and CCC are. Always wonder why a TO expects a good advice without telling the whole route. Or is it very secret?
Indeed. With clear airport names we can think along, not in this way. I'd say bottom line is the following. If you bought a KLM ticket under a single PNR, KLM now has to figure out how they get you from AAA to SFO and return with their codeshare partner having dropped a flight. That is the problem to be solved and it seems KLM's.
Old Jan 1, 19, 3:45 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
It's gonna be BTS-PRG-AMS-SFO.
@ok986: any chance trying to get OK to put you up on BUD-PRG? or reissue with dropped BTS?
Old Jan 1, 19, 5:30 pm

Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
AAA-BBB-AMS-SFO
in such case it mean they cant provide what you paid for , because the partner cancel this flight and its not below the threshold when they cant avoid paying compensations , so the cheapest and easiest is to offer you full refund

CCC-AMS-SFO
that can be also an option , but if they even said no i would recommend to try again with another agent , if no success then ask to change dates
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The obligations under EC 261/2004 fall on the operating, not the ticketing carrier. While it is the passenger's choice to refund or rebook and I am surprised that KL will not rebook from elsewhere in the locale, you are caught between OK and KL.

I would start by calling OK and determinging whether it will reroute. Chances are that it will not, but it is worth a call. As leverage, it is worth noting to OK that as the operating carrier, if you are forced to reroute on your own and incur hotel costs, those and meals will form part of a claim under the Regulation as it is OK which has a duty of care.

Finally, consider the cost of flying to PRG from one of those other locations you mention on a separate ticket (and allowing more than enough time for the transfer).

A lot here will depend on how much risk the passenger is prepared to take, financial & otherwise.

I would then call KL back and escalate if necessary.

Please report back with your progress (or lack).

Search this Thread