Checking keg of beer

Old Dec 6, 18, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Checking keg of beer

Hoping some more senior fliers can help me determine the likelihood of actually pulling this off.

I will be flying MSP to MUC via AMS 12/27. The MSP to AMS part is Delta One I booked on AF using miles, AMS to MUC and MUC to MSP are all on KLM. Return flight is on 1/2 in economy+ MUC to AMS, and preferred economy AMS to MSP.

My friend from Salzburg will be picking me up at MUC and I will spend some time with him. However, on my return flight I would like to check a 15 liter keg of beer. I am fine paying the $70 extra baggage fee. The keg is wooden and mostly unpressurized. I have cleared all the potential importing problems. There are none really.

But I am wondering if anyone here can foresee potential issues with this maneuver? I am mostly concerned about the ability to check this as a bag. KLM has stated via Facebook messenger that they won't have a problem. Has anyone attempted something like this before?
Old Dec 6, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
Hoping some more senior fliers can help me determine the likelihood of actually pulling this off.

I will be flying MSP to MUC via AMS 12/27. The MSP to AMS part is Delta One I booked on AF using miles, AMS to MUC and MUC to MSP are all on KLM. Return flight is on 1/2 in economy+ MUC to AMS, and preferred economy AMS to MSP.

My friend from Salzburg will be picking me up at MUC and I will spend some time with him. However, on my return flight I would like to check a 15 liter keg of beer. I am fine paying the $70 extra baggage fee. The keg is wooden and mostly unpressurized. I have cleared all the potential importing problems. There are none really.

But I am wondering if anyone here can foresee potential issues with this maneuver? I am mostly concerned about the ability to check this as a bag. KLM has stated via Facebook messenger that they won't have a problem. Has anyone attempted something like this before?

Yes, I did this last year from MUC to AMS (nice barrel of Augustiner)
I wrapped it in a lot of plastic and had no problem taking it, showed up nicely on the belt in AMS.

Search this Thread