Transiting from one KLM fight to another (different PNRs)?

Old Nov 28, 18, 4:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: REP/LHR
Posts: 1,133
Transiting from one KLM fight to another (different PNRs)?

I have a flight from AMS-BKK and I would like to add a leg from London to the start of it. My understanding is that even if I buy another KLM flight I cannot combine them onto one PNR. However, I had a slightly confusing chat with a KLM rep on Facebook today who seemed to say that I would be able to check my bag onwards from London to my final destination, even if they were different itineraries. Can anyone confirm this?

If this is indeed the case (or even if it's not) how long should I give myself to transit at AMS? My flight out is around 5pm and I'd rather not be there for too long, but I will have checked luggage so need to give myself enough time to deal with it if I am not able to check it on.

And are the flights from LHR/LCY-AMS pretty reliable?

Thank you!
giblet is offline  
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:23 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 306
Originally Posted by giblet View Post
I have a flight from AMS-BKK and I would like to add a leg from London to the start of it. My understanding is that even if I buy another KLM flight I cannot combine them onto one PNR. However, I had a slightly confusing chat with a KLM rep on Facebook today who seemed to say that I would be able to check my bag onwards from London to my final destination, even if they were different itineraries. Can anyone confirm this?

If this is indeed the case (or even if it's not) how long should I give myself to transit at AMS? My flight out is around 5pm and I'd rather not be there for too long, but I will have checked luggage so need to give myself enough time to deal with it if I am not able to check it on.

And are the flights from LHR/LCY-AMS pretty reliable?

Thank you!
yes they are able to send your luggage from LHR/LCY via AMS to BKK.
You should allow yourself a normal transfer time of 2 hours minimum but since you are flying longhaul then I would do 3 hours to be sure. I mean, one hour more or less on such a long trip doesn’t matter, does it?
BobTL is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 12:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,508
3hrs would be the absolute minimum for me with checked luggage, depends on the time of the year LCY could be prone to fog so LHR might be a better option.
Ditto is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 12:56 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,575
If you miss the first flight of the second ticket, chances are are extremely high--in fact, virtually certain--that it will be cancelled immediately and when you ask to please be rebooked, the response from KLM agents will be "that is not possible." If you're not willing to accept the risk of having to buy a new and extremely expensive ticket to travel from AMS to BKK (and return?), it would be wise to fly from whatever UK airport to AMS the day before your BKK flight departs.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:52 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: REP/LHR
Posts: 1,133
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you miss the first flight of the second ticket, chances are are extremely high--in fact, virtually certain--that it will be cancelled immediately and when you ask to please be rebooked, the response from KLM agents will be "that is not possible." If you're not willing to accept the risk of having to buy a new and extremely expensive ticket to travel from AMS to BKK (and return?), it would be wise to fly from whatever UK airport to AMS the day before your BKK flight departs.
My flight doesn't leave AMS until around 5 pm, so it would probably make more sense to take one of the earlier flights to AMS so if it does get cancelled, I can take one of the later ones. There are around 20 flights that arrive in AMS before 2 p.m., 8 of which are KLM.
giblet is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:57 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: REP/LHR
Posts: 1,133
Originally Posted by BobTL View Post

yes they are able to send your luggage from LHR/LCY via AMS to BKK.
You should allow yourself a normal transfer time of 2 hours minimum but since you are flying longhaul then I would do 3 hours to be sure. I mean, one hour more or less on such a long trip doesn’t matter, does it?
Thanks, BobTL, that's very useful info. 3 hours seems completely reasonable to me...I was worried I was going to have to be there for 5 hours.
giblet is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 5:08 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: REP/LHR
Posts: 1,133
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
3hrs would be the absolute minimum for me with checked luggage, depends on the time of the year LCY could be prone to fog so LHR might be a better option.
Thanks, Ditto. It's in 2 weeks time, is that a foggy time? For a 5:15pm flight out of AMS, I think my best options are a 10am from LCY or 11:45am from LHR.
giblet is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 6:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK/FR
Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 828
Agreed this is a risk like rightfully pointed out before but KLM is the less likely to play if cheap if anything happens during that connection. At the airport in London, bring both boarding passes and printed tickets, that way the agent will be able to merge the 2 and check the bag all the way.
In LHR, they were as good as adding a domestic Aeromexico segment from a different booking appear when doing the online check-in on KLM's website. With the seatmap and all! Looked almost like a single booking, I was impressed.
Keeping in mind that the agent has no obligation to do so and it's extra work for them as they need to enter the infos by hand so it's important to be extremely nice and have everything ready to make it as easy as possible.
I know a travel insurrance such the ones from Amex cover the missed connection even if on different bookings. They may rebook you to BKK the next day but may not provide accommodation so that's where the insurrance kicks in.
Mirk is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 7:22 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AMS
Programs: BA KL LH Hilton
Posts: 969
Not a lot to add to previous replies so I won't. But I am curious if there was a reason you didn't originally book the trip starting in London (connecting to the same ams bkk flight). The way airlines price is that a connecting flight is very often cheaper. Wasn't that the case for you, or did your plans change, or didn't you consider that option?
sbams is offline  
Old Nov 29, 18, 8:50 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: REP/LHR
Posts: 1,133
Originally Posted by sbams View Post
Not a lot to add to previous replies so I won't. But I am curious if there was a reason you didn't originally book the trip starting in London (connecting to the same ams bkk flight). The way airlines price is that a connecting flight is very often cheaper. Wasn't that the case for you, or did your plans change, or didn't you consider that option?
Yes! It's all very complicated, but basically we wanted to buy a one-way flight from BKK to AMS, but a round trip was cheaper. We were moving countries on the outbound flight (this was several months ago) from BKK, and had our dog with us. So we couldn't fly directly into the UK (dogs aren't allowed as excess baggage due to UK law) and had to fly to AMS and take a ferry from there. We have to go back to Asia anyway, so it seemed to make sense to use the return portion of our flight. This time we are flying sans canine, so can leave directly from London. I wouldn't usually do it this way because I don't like adding moving parts to a trip like this.

Getting travel insurance is a good call.
giblet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread