KLM Strange Meal Service

Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:13 am
Original Poster

KLM Strange Meal Service

Had a very weird experience in KL the other day. Was my first long haul KL flight in Y for a couple of years so not too sure if this is the case across all flights now, but I had an overnight, 11pm departure 6-hour flight into amsterdam. Typically in the past (in both Y and J) dinner has been served pretty quickly after takeoff, but is still the larger meal. On this recent flight, the economy dinner service had no options - it was chicken for everybody or nothing else! It was not served on a tray with a starter salad or dessert, there was no bread roll, and even the cutlery set was simply a fork and a spoon (no knife). I have never seen anything like it.

I was wondering if this is what KLM's Y meal service had been reduced to, but then before we landed breakfast was served and while this has typically been a smaller snack in my experience in Y, it came on a full tray this time, with a starter and dessert. It was still only one choice (an omelette), but came with sausages and a bread roll, a full cutlery set and actual butter (usually only ever seen margarine in KL Y). It was much better than any economy second-meal breakfast I had seen in KL Y, while dinner was much worse than any first-meal dinner I had seen. Any idea if this is a new deliberate thing, or was some sort of mistake? Maybe they loaded the plane as though it was a morning departure instead?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: KL Plat
I flew out from from BAH via KWI on to Ams in Y leaving just after midnight Tuesday morning. On the less than 1 hour hop to KWI we got a waffle and water. Shortly after leaving KWI they came round with a paper bag of something (I just wanted to sleep so didn't take one).

Breakfast around 6am was a tray full like yours but we had the choice of brioche (2 long pieces of brioche in a tray with jam in the bottom) or omelette, with bread, yoghurt dish and fruit dish (and a little pack of Lurpak). Certainly on this flight it seemed like a sensible choice since it was 4am local when leaving KWI.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:31 am

Yes this is "new" for late-evening flights (I think after 9PM), it was discussed here before but I can't find it at the moment.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Solevita
I flew out from from BAH via KWI on to Ams in Y leaving just after midnight Tuesday morning. On the less than 1 hour hop to KWI we got a waffle and water. Shortly after leaving KWI they came round with a paper bag of something (I just wanted to sleep so didn't take one).

Breakfast around 6am was a tray full like yours but we had the choice of brioche (2 long pieces of brioche in a tray with jam in the bottom) or omelette, with bread, yoghurt dish and fruit dish (and a little pack of Lurpak). Certainly on this flight it seemed like a sensible choice since it was 4am local when leaving KWI.
It also makes perfect sense for an 11PM flight, it's way past dinner time and most pax will prefer getting as much sleep as possible.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
People in the USA have been getting seriously ill from eating romaine lettuce, so it's not surprising that the salad was removed from the meal. Of course, this is an over-reaction if there was no romaine in the salads (or as we now know, if it didn't come from central California) but some people here are currently avoiding all lettuce.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver

Likewise, I flew from KWI to AMS last night and it was a hot filled roll after take off and then a full breakfast before landing. Seems a sensible approach. I did manage a few beers with my roll and after a few days in Kuwait even Heinekin tasted good.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Ardecos
Likewise, I flew from KWI to AMS last night and it was a hot filled roll after take off and then a full breakfast before landing. Seems a sensible approach. I did manage a few beers with my roll and after a few days in Kuwait even Heinekin tasted good.
I had a mostly dry weekend in Abu Dhabi - coming from Sweden which isn't exactly cheap, the prices looked very similar to that in Sweden... till you calculated the exchange rate was 2.5x! Was very unusual for me to not take at least one drink on the flight

Did you have the Marcheuse (or how you spell it) waiting to interrogate you in the gangway off the plane? I though that was a French thing.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G, BA Silver
I've experienced this on EBB-AMS and FNA-ROB-AMS in the last month. On both flights, most pax slept through the breakfast service (served at something ridiculous like 0430 AMS time!) so KLM must be making some savings on food if most people aren't eating the main meal!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
I had a mostly dry weekend in Abu Dhabi - coming from Sweden which isn't exactly cheap, the prices looked very similar to that in Sweden... till you calculated the exchange rate was 2.5x! Was very unusual for me to not take at least one drink on the flight

Did you have the Marcheuse (or how you spell it) waiting to interrogate you in the gangway off the plane? I though that was a French thing.
No, no interrogation on disembarking although my suitcase is still making its way home. Maybe extra security checks in Kuwait caused a delay to it. Seems as though quite a few hold items didn't make it onto the plane on Thursday morning and are now in transit 24 hours later.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On an 11:00 PM departure, I would much prefer a simple bag, not even a tray, distributed as soon as safety permits post departure with a prepackaged drink service (to avoid noisy carts and CC in the aisles). At that time, I will have eaten supper and likely don't want anything, but I do realize that there are some who are rushing around and don't manage to eat before departure, so having something on hand is helpful..
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
It also makes perfect sense for an 11PM flight, it's way past dinner time and most pax will prefer getting as much sleep as possible.
I fully agree, but on some flights there may be pax on board with their body clocks still set to a different time zone.

One of the really nice things about KL's new Anytime for You concept in J is that fixed meal times are largely a thing of the past. As somebody who is not that partial to the stuff they serve for breakfast, I take advantage of the new service to order a full three-course meal to be served just before the regular breakfast service commences. That way I can afterwards change and refresh myself in the lav at leisure, while all the other pax are imprisoned behind their tray tables.

Johan
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
One of the really nice things about KL's new Anytime for You concept in J is that fixed meal times are largely a thing of the past. As somebody who is not that partial to the stuff they serve for breakfast, I take advantage of the new service to order a full three-course meal to be served just before the regular breakfast service commences. That way I can afterwards change and refresh myself in the lav at leisure, while all the other pax are imprisoned behind their tray tables.
If only they had that from CPT!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
If only they had that from CPT!
Cheer up, it is coming to AMS-CPT-AMS flights soon.

The FA serving my aisle yesterday told me that it is one of the destinations at the top of the AFY list, which is being expanded gradually.

Johan
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Cheer up, it is coming to AMS-CPT-AMS flights soon.

The FA serving my aisle yesterday told me that it is one of the destinations at the top of the AFY list, which is being expanded gradually.

Johan
CPT starts July 1st. PVG and the second flight to NRT will also get the service from the upcoming Summer schedule.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Good to know that Air France Economy experience is being rolled out into the KLM J cabin!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.