Heineken or nothing for beer drinkers

Old Nov 23, 18, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA
Heineken or nothing for beer drinkers

Any chance of KLM offering any other beer than Heineken in the near future? Even in WBC there are no options:
the choice is Heineken, Heineken or Heineken.

I know Heineken is synonymous with Holland, but aren't there any Dutch craft beers that could make it onto the KLM menu?
Old Nov 23, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: FB Platinum; Priority Club Spire; HHonors Silver
I wish there was but apparently not. Even the French are getting in on the act with Affligem etc
Old Nov 24, 18, 6:11 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Hhhm we Dutch are a beer country that has some monopolist/oligopolist traits. Grolsch, Amstel (=owned by Heineken), Bavaria (does well in the blind tests but often seen as a secondary brand) are the main brands, all taste the same in my view, and then we have some specialties like Hertog Jan. A fraction of the diversity you find in Belgium or Germany....
Old Nov 24, 18, 10:01 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
Hhhm we Dutch are a beer country that has some monopolist/oligopolist traits. Grolsch, Amstel (=owned by Heineken), Bavaria (does well in the blind tests but often seen as a secondary brand) are the main brands, all taste the same in my view, and then we have some specialties like Hertog Jan. A fraction of the diversity you find in Belgium or Germany....
I'm not sure I agree. There's a lot of smaller breweries, and a good choice in regular supermarkets. Brouwerij 't IJ for starters.
Old Nov 24, 18, 12:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Classic KLM 'value engineering'. Bizarre that they're missing this boat, at this point there's airlines that have bespoke beers on their menu. They have six wines and one beer? Come on, KLM.
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
I'm not sure I agree. There's a lot of smaller breweries, and a good choice in regular supermarkets. Brouwerij 't IJ for starters.
Sure you will have a lot of such local breweries that may produce for their own city at best, or maybe only their own pub. One of my colleagues makes the Hortus bier (at Leiden university) that is popular among his friends. But that are not the volumes that an airline like KLM requires......
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
I'd love to see something else than the horrible Heineken option on-board.. I hardly ever drink a beer onboard because of this
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by caliform View Post
Classic KLM 'value engineering'. Bizarre that they're missing this boat, at this point there's airlines that have bespoke beers on their menu. They have six wines and one beer? Come on, KLM.
Eeehm as a flyer who prefers wine, afraid that wine is limited to one brand in economy (Julian Schaal's Elements) and the few times I flew J I usually saw two different bottles there....not much of a choice.
Old Nov 25, 18, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA
Even BA offers three different beers in Economy class. Though one of these might be Heineken...
Old Nov 25, 18, 5:01 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
I'd love some IJwit when flying KLM! I'm pretty sure they have the capacity to provide for KLM flights (They are even sold at AH) but my feeling is that KLM has a contract with Heineken that requires them to be the exclusive beer served on board.

Its a great way for Heineken to advertise themselves, and I imagine KLM pays next to nothing for these. And for many (*cough* Americans) Heineken is still a very premium kind of beer.
Old Nov 25, 18, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
my feeling is that KLM has a contract with Heineken that requires them to be the exclusive beer served on board.
Heineken owns an enormous number of brands, some of which started out as craft brewers. Offering some Lagunitas wouldn't be the end of the world.

OP, if you care about your beer on board take the train and fly SN, their choices on long haul are excellent (Gueuze Boon on TATL flights? Sign me up!).
Old Nov 25, 18, 7:55 am

Nothing against Dutch beers but my vote goes for the ‘neighbouring’ Hoegaarden, Leffe or even Franziskaner (I’m half Belgian yet not biased at all on the matter ). That said, I’m just about to crack open a Franziskaner

P.S.: at least good-old Lufty serves a half-decent beer...

G
Old Nov 25, 18, 10:59 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Just cracked open an Appenzeller Quöllfrisch, which is one of the better p***water beers here in Switzerland. Responding to Xandrios above, America tends to export the worst of its products (such as McDonalds, Budweiser, etc), but they also produce some of the best microbrews I have ever tasted (think Dog Fish Head Pale Ale, Flying Monkey, etc (now, that latter really has to be one for us, right?)).

On KLM flights, sometimes I have a Heineken, as an aperitif or thirst quencher. Among the p***water beers I find it reasonably drinkable (I really hate Carlsberg, Budweiser and so on), but I find the tins in Economy class far too small. Often the FAs refuse me when I ask for two!

There’s definitely scope for introducing some Dutch microbrews. The Netherlands is so full of good products that they are missing a trick here.
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
A few Belgian options (Leffe, La Chouffe, Duvel, La Trappe) and/or Dutch special ones (Brouwerij 't ij) would be great..
Also a 1 or 2 additional lager options aside from Heineken (Jupiler, Hertog Jan to pick a few favorites)
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:17 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually I quite like Jupiler, although I know it’s a fairly run of the mill beer. I remember getting quite plastered on it as a student. But the Dutch microbrews would really interest me, because I think they are not that well known (a bit like Dutch wine! Actually, most of the time I just drink the wine on KLM flights, which is usually palatable).

Search this Thread