Wiki Posts
Search

Baby carseat allowed in box?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Baby carseat allowed in box?

I've already asked KLM check-in staff at AMS, but they gave me conflicting information, so I'm hoping someone here may have some anecdotal experience that might provide some more insight.

I'll be flying GRU-AMS on KLM with an infant, we didn't book a separate seat for the infant. I know I can (among other things) check in a baby car seat for free, but I am wondering if this can be checked in the original box (so as to protect it) or if it has to be checked in unprotected, which I am worried may result in damage to the car seat. Since we didn't book a seat for the infant we cannot take the seat on board, and on top the seat is not certified for use on planes anyway.

Does anyone know?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
as long as the box is within the luggage space limits it should be no issue to check the box in.

look at how many boxes - big ones, TVs in it etc - you sometimes see on the luggage belt.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

I have in fact brought this car seat to Brazil as my personal second piece of luggage in its box, so I know it's not a problem size wise, however seeing as this is part of a "special" luggage allowance for infants, I wonder if the same rules apply.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: FB plat for life
Originally Posted by mfkne
I have in fact brought this car seat to Brazil as my personal second piece of luggage in its box, so I know it's not a problem size wise, however seeing as this is part of a "special" luggage allowance for infants, I wonder if the same rules apply.
If it is a lap infant the luggage allowance is 1 checked piece up to 10 kg - so that could be the car seat. If you already check in a piece and this is a 2nd piece, I would still believe it would work. A car seat is allowed, and to box it makes sense.... worst is you have to take it out of the box...
good luck and let us know how it went
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:24 am
Original Poster

The luggage allowance for lap infants is 1 regular piece of luggage of 10 kg indeed, plus the car seat plus a stroller. Indeed worst case we'll pay for a second piece of luggage and box it, it'd likely still be cheaper than buying a new car seat in case it breaks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.