FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Question about checking bags through when different tickets and codeshares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1940289-question-about-checking-bags-through-when-different-tickets-codeshares.html)

qofmiwok Nov 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Question about checking bags through when different tickets and codeshares

Not sure whether to post here or on the Delta forum...
I'm flying Delta which I booked using a Virgin Atlantic partner award. I need to purchase a pre-connecting flight from Zurich to Amsterdam. Then at the end of the flight I bought a post-connecting ticket on Alaska. Last month I had a similar situation where I flew Lufthansa and had purchased a post-connecting flight on Alaska. When I checked in Lufthansa had no problem checking my bags to the final destination. But I'm wondering about KLM/Delta and if it makes a difference that I booked through Virgin. Should I make sure my first flight is with KLM so they are at least in the same alliance as Delta, in order to have the best chance of getting my bags checked all the way though?

Also, would it make a difference if I used KLM or KLM Citihopper for that first leg? With the KLM flight we would have 1 hour 10 minute connection time, and with the KLM Cityhopper 1 hour 30 minutes which seems safer esp if they don't let us check through.

Thanks

craigthemif Nov 13, 2018 2:59 am

You can never really rely on "through checking" on different tickets.

It's an airline matter though, so KLM's policies apply, as they would be the originating carrier in Zurich.

But 1h 30m is simply not enough for separate tickets, independent of the luggage situation. If your Zurich flight is delayed, Delta are well within their rights to leave you stranded in Amsterdam, and you'd also lose that Alaska ticket...

P.S. Lufthansa didn't really through-check your bags though, as you need to collect your bags and go through US customs first.

UKtravelbear Nov 13, 2018 4:15 am

What matters here is what is the KL policy on interlining bags on separate tickets not Virgins or Deltas as KL I’ll be thbe first airline you physically interface with.

it helps that KL and DL are both in Sky Team AND have a joint business arrangement. I can see them tagging the bag through to your arrival point in the US but not onto the AS flight. The VS 932 ticket number may be a complication but these things usually rely on metal flown than ticketing carrier - remember VS and DL have a JBA but VS isn’t in SkyTeam and has no formal links with KL at the moment.

Note that even if your bag was tagged through to your final destination you’d still have to clear customs on entry into the US and then drop your bag off again.

Lufthansa can do it’s own thing just as BA and AA do (though remember neither BA or AA will interline on separate tickets even to themselves) but it’s not relevant to this trip.

I actually think this belongs on the KL board but I’ve alerted our esteemed moderator and he can decide if this belongs on the DL or KL boards for you to get the best help.

qofmiwok Nov 13, 2018 10:05 am

Yes, I do know we have to pick up our luggage to go to customs in Seattle. But it's still much easier if it's checked through because you can just hand it back off. One time we didn't have it checked through and had to take it to another terminal to check it in. But we do have plenty of time in Seattle for whatever. The most important would be to have it checked from Zurich through to Seattle.

I agree this sounds like it's up to KLM so should be in the KLM forum. Hopefully it gets moved.

Do you think there is a difference between whether we book KLM or KLM Cityhopper? The Cityhopper leaves 20 minutes earlier which could be helpful.

Nottingham Nick Nov 13, 2018 2:01 pm

I agree with the consensus that this thread is best served in the KLM forum, so will move it there.

Nick

Fabo.sk Nov 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by qofmiwok (Post 30425348)
Do you think there is a difference between whether we book KLM or KLM Cityhopper? The Cityhopper leaves 20 minutes earlier which could be helpful.

From an interline standpoint, no.

I wouldn't book either of these connections. 1h30m is not enough in Amsterdam to get your bag and check it back in if they don't transfer it.

Ditto Nov 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Even if bags are interlined, I would never go for a 1h30 connection in AMS (or any airport for that matter) on separate tickets, I would advise on getting a ZRH-AMS the evening before.

Often1 Nov 13, 2018 3:40 pm

The question of whether 1:30 is sufficient time is one of risk tolerance on OP's part. If he does not board his DL flight, DL will cancel his ticket and that ticket will retain whatever value it retains under its fare rules, likely $0. Same for the AS ticket. That can be very, very expensive. But, it is really up to OP.

Generally, on separate tickets where the onwards ticket is the more expensive one by far, I would advise an overnight. All it takes is a touch of bad weather and one is really stuck.

qofmiwok Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Dang, I thought for sure 1.5 hours would be enough, especially since it's at 9 am so there are less issues like waiting for a plane to arrive. I really hate single nights in hotels like that because I have huge issues with mold and most hotels have mold. One night usually isn't worth the hassle of switching rooms and hotels, but then I don't sleep anyway and am sick the next day.

qofmiwok Nov 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Not to mention, things can always go wrong. Last time I was in Amsterdam going to the airport, the train to the airport stopped mid-way and we were stuck. We finally made it off the train but there were a lot of people in some small town and few taxi's. A bunch of us squeezed ourselves into the taxi's and got to the airport. We had left tons of time to get there, but it was still tight.