Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't Speak English? You're off the flight!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Originally Posted by pepe C
Does Iberia have Dutch speaking flight attendants on their flights to Amsterdam?
You can't compare Dutch to Spanish. It's super easy to find people that speak Spanish and in countries with languages that no one else speaks everybody speaks English. Dutch is also closer to English than Spanish.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Originally Posted by Boturham
After seeing the video I have some doubts. I can't hear what he's saying but his body language and the famous "come here" finger-move tell me a different story than a poor elderly couple this story tries to paint them as. Add that to the fact that apparently no one on the entire flight was willing to translate for him and I'm pretty sure KLM will have a different story to tell about this incident.
I can hear what he is saying quite clearly and understand what he is saying. Many passengers are expressing their support. About the finger he is just showing the way the Captain spoke to him, pointing with his finger.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ticino
You can't compare Dutch to Spanish. It's super easy to find people that speak Spanish and in countries with languages that no one else speaks everybody speaks English. Dutch is also closer to English than Spanish.
But your argument was that KLM should have cabin crew speaking Spanish on routes to Spain - by the same token one could expect Vueling or Iberia to have Dutch-speaking crew on the flight to Amsterdam.
Silver Fox and Carel1 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
With the greatest respect to Dutch, Spanish is among the top three most natively spoken languages on the planet; the number 1 language in Latin America and the number 2 language in the U.S. It's reasonable that at least one crew member should be fluent in Spanish on flights to Spain, to be able to communicate with the pax. Some of the KL crew feel they are fluent in Spanish because they once did a two week course in Ecuador. Misunderstandings happen. Instructions given in broken Spanish can be perceived as rude/aggressive. I wonder how "fluent" the crew on board the flight in question really were?

Last edited by HalconBCN; Nov 12, 2018 at 12:39 am
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
With the greatest respect to Dutch, Spanish is among the top three most natively spoken languages on the planet; the number 1 language in Latin America and the number 2 language in the U.S. It's reasonable that at least one crew member should be fluent in Spanish on flights to Spain, to be able to communicate with the pax. Some of the KL crew feel they are fluent in Spanish because they once did a two week course in Ecuador. Misunderstandings happen. Instructions given in broken Spanish can be perceived as rude/aggressive. I wonder how "fluent" the crew on board the flight in question really were?
So where is the cutoff then?
Is it reasonable that Iberia and Vueling crews should speak French? German?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
In Europe the most widely spoken native language is German. Now what?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:08 am

Look, Spanish plays in the premier league of languages of the world. If KLM can allocate a Chinese crew member on China flights or a Jap to Tokyo, I fail to understand why it cannot put a fluent Spanish speaker on flights to Spain. The resources are there. Some KLM crew members even live in Spain - I see them on my connecting flights.
All too often, I hear KLM pursers attempt to make announcements on flights to Barcelona in their high school Spanish - it's almost comical. It should be possible to allocate at least one competent crew member per flight to Spain.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:29 am

And yet in Europe Spanish is only the 7th language. It is a pretty useless language anywhere in Europe, except in Spain. There are more native Italian speakers. Should all carriers now have fluent Italian speakers on all their flight to Italy?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:26 am

Number of native speakers and global ranking as of 2010*:
1. Mandarian: 905m
2. Spanish: 405m
3. English: 360m
11. German: 95m
23: Italian: 59m
56: Dutch: 21m
I know I'm biased as I live in Spain but the numbers don't lie: Spanish has a global reach that deserves special attention.

*Source: Wikipedia
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I know I'm biased
No kidding

Wonder what you'd say KLM should do if their Spanish-speaking FA takes ill and can't make the flight.
Cancel the flight and reroute everyone on Air Europa, presumably.
Silver Fox and AlvinMaker like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
How many Dutch speaking Vueling and Iberia FA's are there on flights to AMS?
Flew Vueling only twice in my life, but in the crazy days of the previous corporate travel agent, I've done a more than few Iberia flights across the pond: a good starting point would be for IB FA's to speak some English.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mfkne
In Europe the most widely spoken native language is German. Now what?
Not Russian? Russia is part of Europe.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
No kidding

Wonder what you'd say KLM should do if their Spanish-speaking FA takes ill and can't make the flight.
Cancel the flight and reroute everyone on Air Europa, presumably.
That would make the passengers suffer even more 😂
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not Russian? Russia is part of Europe.
You won't find many Europeans who consider Russia as part of Europe.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:07 am

Look, Spanish plays in the premier league of languages of the world. If KLM can allocate a Chinese crew member on China flights or a Jap to Tokyo, I fail to understand why it cannot put a fluent Spanish speaker on flights to Spain. The resources are there. Some KLM crew members even live in Spain - I see them on my connecting flights.
All too often, I hear KLM pursers attempt to make announcements on flights to Barcelona in their high school Spanish - it's almost comical. It should be possible to allocate at least one competent crew member per flight to Spain.
Every one who is trying another language and is trying is getting my respects, also if it's high school level.
Plus, there was a fluent captain on this flight plus other crew members that had sufficient knowledge of Spanish albeit not fluent.
I don't think you can ask for more from KLM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.