KLM 777

Old Oct 25, 18, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: dl platinum
KLM 777

Have an upcoming flight on a KLM 777 in WBC (AMS-ATL), Chose a middle aisle so nobody crawling over me to get out. What should I expect for service from KLM
Old Oct 25, 18, 11:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by evanr81 View Post
Have an upcoming flight on a KLM 777 in WBC (AMS-ATL), Chose a middle aisle so nobody crawling over me to get out. What should I expect for service from KLM
Pleasant cabin crew, very mediocre food and wine, ultra lame amenity kit, and a gin filled ceramic delft house gifted to you at the end of the flight as a souvenir. You’ll have a reasonably pleasant flight, but don’t expect to be blown away by the catering and amenities - other than the houses KLM is slightly behind Delta in each category.

I think you’ve made a smart decision on where to sit as a single traveler, as the center section is the only area where you’ll have aisle access and nobody crawling over you to get out midflight.
obscure2k and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 25, 18, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
Originally Posted by BenA View Post

Pleasant cabin crew, very mediocre food and wine, ultra lame amenity kit, and a gin filled ceramic delft house gifted to you at the end of the flight as a souvenir. You’ll have a reasonably pleasant flight, but don’t expect to be blown away by the catering and amenities - other than the houses KLM is slightly behind Delta in each category.

I think you’ve made a smart decision on where to sit as a single traveler, as the center section is the only area where you’ll have aisle access and nobody crawling over you to get out midflight.
This is 100% accurate. The only thing that I could add is that breakfast in J on KL is generally pretty decent. As noted, the other meals are acceptable but def nothing more.
Old Oct 25, 18, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, IHG/SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver, EK Kettle, AA Hater
I fly DL/AF/KL on a roughly even basis; I book the best schedule/price, and J is usually cheaper on AF and KL than DL (from ATL). I can snag a good deal on DL from DTW sometimes.

I like them all it really does not mater much to me. After my trip last week (4 legs on AF), I have developed the opinion that DL has the best food however. Everything on AF is good except the mains. (AF does have really good wine, but I'm hardly an expert)

The best breakfast I have ever had on an airplane (35 years of flying) was on KL....go figure.

On KL I choose the middle exactly as you did.

I think KL's wine is the worst of the three, which is saying a lot considering DL is in the group.

Don't drink that crap (Bols) in the house. Yuck.
Old Oct 25, 18, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)

Great post by Ben, but I'd also say that you're in for a very comfortable seat. On my AMS-LAX flight, I slept-ate-slept-ate-slept-ate-landed. I was very comfortable the whole time and I never even got into the IFE after a busy week, but only the main meal was good. And the delft house, I enjoyed the genever. The head purser (unsure the KLM formal title for cabin leader) made it a point to introduce himself and make small talk about everyone's trip which I found thoughtful and adds to the "pleasant cabin crew".

Quick edit: I was on a 747 but it's the same seat as best I know.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 27, 18, 3:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Pretty much nailed it, BenA. I love the service, find the wine and food awful, and if there's wifi it won't work at all. But comfy seats, and a nice souvenir. I also like that it is at least consistent: the food is acceptable, but on Delta or AF I've had great or terrible food. Never that problem with KL; solidly middle of the road edible but not amazing.
Old Oct 27, 18, 5:29 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA

Agree with BenA. Amenity kit indeed is basic (got similar stuff in economy in other airlines). Am a bit more positive about food and wine as others here, but agree that the wine does not match what e.g. AF offers ;-). But the sure flat bed seats (...the A330s still being refusbished till end of next month) and kind service are great. And the 'huisje' is a wonderful extra that no competitor matches.
Old Oct 28, 18, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
Amenity kit indeed is basic.
It is due to get ever so slightly less basic with the addition of stuff smelling of tulips and yuzu, of all things.

Coming to a WBC flight near you soon.

Johan
Old Oct 29, 18, 10:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Food is ok (stay away from the burger) on US bound flights. Asia flights WBC food is a LOT better imho.
Diamond seats in the 777's are very comfortable, attendant staff always feels very personal and friendly when interacting, wine is pretty ok, if you like a sweet cocktail go for the flying dutchman signature drink.

Now if they could only add the Delta dessert ice-cream car, a few decent craft beers on board rather then just the Heineken (ew) and get rid of that nasty hamburger..

Search this Thread