Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM house bottoms and their difference- can u explain it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam - Delta
KLM house bottoms and their difference- can u explain it?

Hello - does anyone have a clear explanation as to why there are 3 (or more perhaps) different types of markings on KLM houses that are not vintage? On the plane, you are currently given a house with a date and number etched on the bottom and the usual KLM Bols stamp. However, there are those that have the date and number but are also stamped "HKDNP" - Hong Kong Duty Not Paid. Those seem to vary occasionally in small size differences to some of the others and are most likely specially made to include the mark that is glazed over. Why are there so many of those out there? Does KLM try to get as many out through HK to save money and then distribute elsewhere, are they even given out by KLM outside of Asia? It cannot all be due to Hong Kong connections via KLM given the quantity, can it?
There is also a 3rd kind with the house number etched on the bottom but no date. I have heard people refer to them as "duplicates" but I have no idea how or why they came about or how they are distributed. Are any of HKDNP or no dates one fakes or was there a reason for this? If not fakes, I assume the dated ones are more valuable (maybe that is not the case) but I don't know what the effect of having HKDNP has on value.

It has proven hard to find answers to these but someone must know!

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not about to turn my entire collection upside down, but I did quickly check a small sample.

Seven out of 13 had a HKDNP stamp. What they had in common was that the year was either 2007 or 2008. None of the other houses are from those two years. Could be a complete coincidence, of course.

One of the HKDNP houses is one of those empty ones handed out on certain ME flights, which begs the question what duty was not paid.

I also have houses without a year stamp, but I'm pretty sure they are all (decades) old. Think Rynbende.

As for the value of these houses, that's in the eye of the beholder. For most of the world's population it's probably close to nil, at least once they've imbibed the contents. I suspect that only the most hardcore collectors give a hoot about what it says on the bottom, the one side nobody ever looks at, and that has zero esthetic appeal.

Johan
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi Johan and thanks. I will check the years on my HKDNP (I have many to look through though). Good point on the duty.
The houses that I have with just the number are not old so that is still unresolved as well..
I guess I am more of a hard core collector than I thought because I care about all these details :-)
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Took a look at another 11. All HKDNP, and except for a 2006 and a 2009, they were all 2007s or 2008s.

It would appear that I have far more 2007/2008s than the number of KL longhaul flights I took in those years. Perhaps KL ordered huge numbers in one go, sufficient to meet demand for years to come?

Johan
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:19 am

Will now have to go upstairs, and dig out the case with all of mine in to look !
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:04 am
Original Poster

LOL - sorry about that!
FYI: I did check most of mine and found HKDNP for 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012l, 2013 and 2014. Someone told me they had 2015 and 2017 so it looks like they were made each year since at least 2003 (I just may not have 2006 or 2016)..
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I'm not about to turn my entire collection upside down, but I did quickly check a small sample.

Seven out of 13 had a HKDNP stamp. What they had in common was that the year was either 2007 or 2008. None of the other houses are from those two years. Could be a complete coincidence, of course.

One of the HKDNP houses is one of those empty ones handed out on certain ME flights, which begs the question what duty was not paid.

I also have houses without a year stamp, but I'm pretty sure they are all (decades) old. Think Rynbende.

As for the value of these houses, that's in the eye of the beholder. For most of the world's population it's probably close to nil, at least once they've imbibed the contents. I suspect that only the most hardcore collectors give a hoot about what it says on the bottom, the one side nobody ever looks at, and that has zero esthetic appeal.

Johan
Collectors item! Who of you have all houses with stamps arise! And who knows the houses with stamps will get value like these scarce misprints of stamps (I was a collector in my grammar school years) ;-)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You sure have put me to work!

Checked another dozen:

- one had no HKDNP, nor a year.

- all the others did, of which one was 2004, one 2006, the rest all 2007/8.

I also found three 2017s, all without HKDNP.

I'm going to draw the line here, to reach all the other houses I would have to stand on a stool and perform acrobatics. That's not going to happen.

Johan
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
In my collection, the newer ones (about 2015 and beyond) do not have HKDNP, whereas the older ones do. According to https://historiek.net/mooie-borrelve...huisjes/38814/ and https://zakenreis.nl/reistips/sterke...bij-de-borrel/ (in Dutch), they have been manufactured in Hong Kong since 1995. Additional interesting info about KLM huisjes is at Postzegels en KLM huisjes verzamelen. Port Betaald, port in NNG en Mercurius proef Page 5. (also in Dutch).
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Yes, please don't hurt yourself! I will get on my step stool in the next few days and give you the tally since I started this
I would not be surprised to find that I have duplicates of the same number with one of each of the three kinds.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Hello all, after a search of the rest of my collection, I have now found 2006. I can confirm years 2003 through 2014 from my own collection without interruption.

So, we know they were around for many years and that they are all dated but I still wonder why there are so many of these HKDNP ones out there unless they are used for additional routes. Some of the ones that I had are duplicates and a few are very slightly different in size to their non-HKDNP counterparts.
Again, all of my US-AMS flights do not had HKDNP on them so they are the majority of my collection.

So those two kinds - dated HKDNP and dated non-HKDNP have been discussed a bit but I have not heard anyone speak to the houses that have NO DATES that are sometimes referred to as duplicates by some folks. Does anyone know why they exist/their origin? Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited by ambient01; Oct 21, 2018 at 10:08 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ambient01
Some of the ones that I had are duplicates and a few are very slightly different in size to their non-HKDNP counterparts!
I suspect that a lot of the houses have received facelifts over the years.

See here for an example (house #18 ). They are similar enough to obviously be representations of the same house, yet differ considerably in various details. The one on the left is a Rynbende and probably some 50 years old, the one on the right if from 2002 (no HKDNP stamp).

Johan
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Hi, yes, thanks. I have seen those online and agree.

Clarification to all - please note that none of my comments are on vintage houses. When I compare houses, stamps, etc., I strictly mean from about 2002 and beyond. All have KLM Bols stamps and cream to yellow seals (not brown or red) - thanks!!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Are the houses within the 100ml rule on carry-on when on a return flight? I rarely fly with checked-in luggage even on long haul.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

The new ones (2017 on) are stamped 35ml

The new ones (2017 on) are stamped 35ml which should suffice as proof at airports given it is a sealed item (and goes in your 3-1-1 if in cabin luggage). This fixed amount may also be why bigger houses are evaporating more quickly so I suggest keeping those out of the sunlight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.