Any tips on surviving economy LAX to AMS 747

Old Oct 14, 18, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Any tips on surviving economy LAX to AMS 747

Have never flown on KLM and many many years since 747. Looked at various web articles on surviving coach on longhaul flights. We are 2 travelers. We currently have 2 aisle seats midplane. Considering changing to the back in hopes we can book in rows that do not have any seats yet reserved so we might get to spread out.
Also has anyone used one of those foot stools/rests? We are both short and can suffer low back pain. Thanks all!
Old Oct 14, 18, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Plat
In case you're not sure whether you'll survive this flight in economy, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to business class.

I would never put my life in such a big danger, don't forget that you have only one life..
Old Oct 14, 18, 1:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 2sisters View Post
Have never flown on KLM and many many years since 747. Looked at various web articles on surviving coach on longhaul flights. We are 2 travelers. We currently have 2 aisle seats midplane. Considering changing to the back in hopes we can book in rows that do not have any seats yet reserved so we might get to spread out.
Also has anyone used one of those foot stools/rests? We are both short and can suffer low back pain. Thanks all!
I would suggest to pay $ and change the ticket to business class if you're not sure you can survive coach.
Old Oct 14, 18, 2:00 pm

You should survive as long as you don't change your seats to the window seats in the cockpit.
Old Oct 14, 18, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
My wife and I took this flight as part of a Viking River cruise and the seat pitch was so small my knees would not fit behind the seat in front of me. Fortunately I had an aisle seat so my knees could go in the aisle otherwise I don't know what I would have done. I will never fly KLM economy again.
Old Oct 15, 18, 1:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Its not sooo bad. Seats are narrow and leg room is not great; but if you both are short I don't see any problem. A 10+ hours flight will pass quickly by watching movies, reading and sleeping.
Advices: Comfy clothing, headphones, eye mask , and a bottle of water. I would not move to the back, but rather wait until I'm on board and check out if the back is free. However, those last seats will be uncomfortable when people start gathering around the bathroom..
2sisters likes this.
Old Oct 15, 18, 7:02 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold
If you're afraid about surviving Economy, invest in Economy Comfort in the front of the plane. It's 150 (?) USD extra and you'll certainly not have any problems with the legroom. Or invest a few hundred USD more and upgrade to business. Not knowing loads on your flight (naturally), I find it hard to imagine you would be able to "spread" across the back of the aircraft. I haven't flown such flight TATL in the last 5 years...
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
You're both short so you are unlikely to suffer too much from the low seat pitch.
I would recommend keeping the seats you have already picked, check in early on the day of departure and see if there are vacant rows at the back. And then decide based on facts. Sitting towards the back with the middle seat free is infinitely better than paying to sit towards the front in Economy Comfort if you have a person beside you.
On many flights, I see that the profile of passenger who pays for Eco Comfort is often the fatter/more long legged type: exactly the kind of seat neighbor that can be a pain to have near you.
Don't stress out over it; getting there safely is the most important thing and KLM will do that for you in reasonable comfort.
2sisters likes this.
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Originally Posted by arjen05 View Post
In case you're not sure whether you'll survive this flight in economy, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to business class.

I would never put my life in such a big danger, don't forget that you have only one life..
The OP wasn't asking about an upgrade to business... if you have nothing constructive to add maybe better to say nothing.
2sisters likes this.
Old Oct 15, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Drink wine, get some good earplugs and eyemask and sleep throughout.

anyone would think one is using the Mauritania ore train the way this has been presented!
W126Pilot likes this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 12:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Hundreds of people 'survive' this flight (and much worse, with smaller seats) every day. Economy longhaul is more doable with frequent breaks, two seats next to each other, exit rows, plenty of your own entertainment and snacks and perhaps a little footrest / travel pillow. Have fun! I flew SFO-AMS in economy for years, very frequently, and it's really not a life threatening situation
ilcannone likes this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

I feel ya!
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the only actual advice I received so far. This is our plan and I agree the area around bathrooms can get very nasty.

Last edited by 2sisters; Oct 16, 18 at 8:27 pm
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

The economy comfort was more than $150 and had nothing but middle seats. It is not a few hundred more for biz...it is thousands more. Just too much for my sis. Right now theplane is not full...5 days til flight. We will survive just hoping for tips we didn’t know.
HalconBCN likes this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! Great advice! Yes economy comfort is not usually worth paying more.

Search this Thread