Wiki Posts
Search

Rebooking not issued by KLM, refused check in

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
Rebooking not issued by KLM, refused check in

I have rebooked a KLM ticket and received a rebooking confirmation by e-mail. In the app, the new flight data were visible, everything looked good.

The evening before the flight, I could not check in. Contacted the Facebook support team, asking to check my reservation. After a receiving a couple of useless messages (flight is not ready for check in, for example) they wrote something like "resevation is not liked, we will fix that for you".

At the airport, they refused to check me in. It is a station without KLM staff, so they don't understand the systems they are working with. They called their support hotline several times. Finally, they found out that the ticket had never been reissued by KLM and I have never paid for the ticket change - despite the rebooking confirmation I had received by e-mail. They offered me to rebook it for a large sum (much more expensive than I had to pay) and I refused, furthermore the agent told me it was too late anyway as she would never manage to get my ticket rebooked before the check in deadline.

I was left at the check in desk without other options, so I decided to call the KLM platinum service line. They confirmed the ticket had never been reissued, but told they could not do anything for me.

I booked a new ticket on another airline because I really had to get to my destination that evening.

What are my options? I have asked to rebook, filled in my credit card details and confirmed the rebooking. KLM confirmed the ticket had been rebooked, I got my new flight details per e-mail and on the website as well as the app the new flights showed up. My credit card has never been debited (however I did not know that). For me I had a ticket and was refused check-in. For KLM, I did not have a ticket so they do not see any problem...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:04 am

Well if you didn't have a ticket issues, there aren't much options for you, you should be able to at least recover the tax from the unused ticket (assuming it's not a refundable rate)
Always make sure you get your new e-ticket if you make any changes.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Well if you didn't have a ticket issues, there aren't much options for you, you should be able to at least recover the tax from the unused ticket (assuming it's not a refundable rate)
Always make sure you get your new e-ticket if you make any changes.
But I got my changes confirmed by e-mail! I got the booking confirmation which mentioned "Your reservation is confirmed", booking code, ticket number, price, confirmation of payment with my credit card.
What else should I have done?
anniegray likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I had once a horrible experience on a Barranquilla-Panama-AMS flight. I upgraded with miles for the PTY-AMS leg on KL. They made the stupid error to remove the whole flight and only reinstall my PTY-AMS leg in business. I somehow could check in electronically from Baranquilla-Panama (executed by Copa) but then was refused boarding (with 35 min to go) at the airport since they said that leg was deleted in their systems. Frantic mailing, facebooking and calling just saved the issue before doors closing........I got a few 1000 miles as compensation for my horror experience after I complained. If you have proof (screenshots, emails) your rebooking was sound, I simply would contact customer service. If your rebooking was eligible and sound according to the information you had, you should not be in the situation you found yourself in.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jochen_vdk
But I got my changes confirmed by e-mail! I got the booking confirmation which mentioned "Your reservation is confirmed", booking code, ticket number, price, confirmation of payment with my credit card.
What else should I have done?
Did you get a new e-ticket? That seems to be the missing piece here...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:37 am

As someone who got screwed over by staff at BRU and afterwards by KL customer "service" earlier this year I'm afraid this doesn't look good. Unless your situation is a clear-cut case which falls under customer protection regulations they wash their hands clean and blame the customer, even if the root of the problem lies with them.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Did you get a new e-ticket? That seems to be the missing piece here...
I never get a new e-ticket e-mailed to me when I change KLM bookings online. I only get the rebooking confirmation mentioning all the new booking details.
The only difference is that this time, the rebooking confirmation had the same ticket number as the original booking. Usually it's a different ticket number. But how can I know in the first place? KLM sends me a confirmation, am I supposed to figure out all the ticketing details, call my credit card company to ask if the card has really been debited?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jochen_vdk
I never get a new e-ticket e-mailed to me when I change KLM bookings online. I only get the rebooking confirmation mentioning all the new booking details.
The only difference is that this time, the rebooking confirmation had the same ticket number as the original booking. Usually it's a different ticket number. But how can I know in the first place? KLM sends me a confirmation, am I supposed to figure out all the ticketing details, call my credit card company to ask if the card has really been debited?
You are not supposed to check it all in that details down to a ticket number. Most passengers do not even know what 'that number' is for.
If the flights on the new confirmation were the ones you wanted to be rebooked on , then you as a passenger, can assume and expect that all is set and done.
KLM is a professional company and you can expect them to do these things right.

So, if the ticket number is the same (as you now noticed)... so what? How do we know? We do not have knowledge about these matters and can trust that the mentioned updated flight details on a confirmation are good to go indeed.

I would climb up to CS with KLM, speak immediately to a supervisor and get re-imbursed for all additional expenses, and for inconvenience.
It will, probably, cost you quite some time, calls or emailing to find your right.

Personally I would've expected a different approach by KLM's Platinum Service desk in this case... anyway, my reply is just on the story you shared with us without knowing the details. But it seems you have a valid point here. Good luck! And keep us updated about any outcome!
jochen_vdk likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:37 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I have suffered from exactly the same situation. Rebooked a flight back to AMS to one day later. Arrived at LHR only to be told I had missed my flight yesterday.

In my case I also did receive a confirmation, and I had also taken that as a confirmation of the change. It even said that in the email. And even though I am very familiar with e-tickets, and I do know that the e-ticket number is supposed to change, I didn't notice. To be quite honest, I don't think the e-ticket number is even mentioned in the confirmation email. I don't believe one ever gets a new e-ticket email when rebooking (Normally only the confirmation is sent if I remember correctly).

Eventually they were able to fix it at the airport, I paid the change fee that I was quoted a few days prior, and all was fine. In my case the new flight was actually still/already added to the booking, just in status 'unpaid'. And KLM failed to notify me in any way that payment failed - online on the website, and the confirmation email both said all was successful.

In the OP case I would not accept this situation. For me it was salvaged, but in the situation described by the OP I would do anything to get that money back. KLM really dropped the ball there and they should at least cover damages.
Goldorak and jochen_vdk like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Not something you should accept, and particularly not as a Platinum. Kindly explain the situation and escalate if necessary.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by caliform
Not something you should accept, and particularly not as a Platinum. Kindly explain the situation and escalate if necessary.
Agreed. And it seems that this isn't an isolated case so they really have to investigate this issue and fix it. Escalade it for as long as necessary.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In order to provide any useful assistance to OP, there are some additional details needed.

While OP says that this was a KL ticket, also need to know whether it was a KL-operated flight (not a codeshare, partner or anything else).

While it is in the past now for OP, this is a common issue on many carriers and, despite the view of some that one ought not to be required to do so, the following are helpful:
1. When a ticket is reissued, confirm that you hold a new e-ticket for the new route. Confirmations of resrvations are just that and do not have anything to do with tickets. That is an especially important distinction when the flight is not operated by KL.
2. If one is unable to check in online, that is an immediate cause for concern and should generate a telephone call. While there are many benign reasons for a failure of online check in, the lack of a ticket is one and that could have been remedied with a day to work on it.
3. Social media is fine for broad-based questions. But, it was not the route to take here and especially so when the response was not clear and precise.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for the replies.

FWIW it was a KLM ticket, KLM operated flight, booked on the KLM website. Indeed KLM never sends out new e-tickets when rebooking a flight.

I will insist and will let you know the outcome!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I booked a new ticket on another airline because I really had to get to my destination that evening.
KL owes you EUR 250/400/600 in denied boarding compensation + the costs of the replacement ticket.
KL has to pay these costs, because KL refused to reroute you.

received a rebooking confirmation by e-mail.
That should suffice as a valid ticket.
rickg523 and caliform like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: Many
OP, did you pay for the initial change? Through which channel (phone, app, website)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.