Leeds to Amsterdam or Manchester to Amsterdam

Old Sep 23, 18, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Leeds to Amsterdam or Manchester to Amsterdam

I'm looking for party of 2 to take a KLM flight from the vicinity of Leeds UK to AMS in Y and need transport from hotel to UK departure airport

I'm hoping for lounge privileges from Delta Gold FF status.

Whats the best UK airport to depart from?

Should I pay a taxi fare from Leeds city (train station) to the airport at Leeds and hope for a lounge or should I take the train from Leeds to Manchester airport and have a better chance at a lounge there. ?

What are the pluses and minuses to choose between (I don't mind the choosing bit)
Old Sep 24, 18, 12:05 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
I haven't been to the lounge at Leeds (I don't even know if there is one). I can tell you from experience that the lounges that KLM uses at various UK airports are not a factor you should base your decision on at all. Manchester is a bit nicer, but don't go there for the lounge.
Old Sep 24, 18, 12:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum
AFKLM has a very nice lounge at MAN, and the airport is easy to reach from Leeds. Although LBA is nearer to me than MAN, I never use it because it is a nightmare to get to.

Last edited by PeteM01; Sep 24, 18 at 6:29 am Reason: I stand corrected!
Old Sep 24, 18, 12:31 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
There is a lounge a Leeds but it's nothing special. Choose the airport which is most convenient for you and don't worry about the lounge. There is a direct train service from Leeds to Manchester Airport (with First Class or Standard Class) and it rakes about an hour (https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/). To get to LBA from Leeds you need to take a taxi (about 20 mins) or the airport bus (https://www.flyingtigerbus.co.uk/).
Old Sep 24, 18, 4:21 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Ok my 2 pence worth ... I have used LBA for the last 20 years .
LBA connectivity from the city center . taxi - 18-20 ( plus a drop off fee of 2 ) , also has a Bus service that leaves from the train station which takes under an hour and costs 3.80 and takes 40 mins ( which is walkable from all major city centre hotels , Marriott, Hilton , Malmaison and Crowne Plaza )
LBA itself is ok , fast check in to security , sometimes the wait can be long for security depending on how many Jet2 or FR flights are departing .. does have a fast lane for Skyteam elite and elite plus which speeds things up .
LBA has three lounges , the one that KLM use has a manned bar , reasonable drinks selection , hot food choices include bacon butties in the morning , hot food options plus salads later in the day and views of the runway which are nice. downside is as the lounges are new they have not got to installing a TV yet so feel a little too quite IMO.

Getting to Manchester from Leeds on the train at the moment can be a total nightmare as the current problems with train timetables in the UK and problems with Transpennine express and Northern rail has taken me much longer than it should and the trains can be very overcrowded.
Manchester if arriving by car has a more expensive drop off fee than LBA. The check in is fine , shared with FlyBE and Airfrance . security can be a nightmare in my experience , it does have a fast track, the staff can be rather rude. The terminal itself feels rather cramped. The last time I was at MAN KLM were using the 1903 lounge, I found this very good with good food options and has an edge over the LBA lounge but only just. This was for a trial period and not sure if this is now permanent, as the Escape lounge they used before was far worse than the current LBA lounge. The 1903 lounge also has great views of the runway, the Escape lounge does not.
Old Sep 25, 18, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Thanks to all.

Very informative to make decisions

To enter the UK I'm looking at AMS-NCL (Newcastle) and training to Carlisle. What kind of transp do I need to go from plane to train in NCL?
Old Sep 26, 18, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
What kind of transp do I need to go from plane to train in NCL?
The subway.

Johan
Old Sep 26, 18, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
Thanks to all.

Very informative to make decisions

To enter the UK I'm looking at AMS-NCL (Newcastle) and training to Carlisle. What kind of transp do I need to go from plane to train in NCL?
To be slightly more thorough you need to take the Metro, marked by a big M and there's a small walk between the airport terminal and the station. The Metro operates zones, and of course the airport is in its own expensive zone. If you're feeling energetic, you can walk to the next one down the line and get the ticket for a few quid less. Take the Metro all the way to the central station. It's huge, you can't miss it (though the Metro is underground). The trains to Carlisle are normally every hour through the day and operated by Arrive Trains North. The trains are pretty crap. If it's raining outside, it's often raining inside. Get a window seat to enjoy the view. You will go through the Tyne Valley which is quite lovely, and the signalbox at Hexham is quite something.
Old Sep 26, 18, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse View Post
the signalbox at Hexham is quite something.
A hitech contraption dating back to 1825?

Johan
Old Sep 26, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
A hitech contraption dating back to 1825?

Johan
I'm afraid only 1896, but is unique given it sits on a gantry above the track. The most high-tech thing in there is probably the kettle.
Old Sep 26, 18, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse View Post
is unique given it sits on a gantry above the track..
Must be hard to see for the train passengers, then.

Johan
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:49 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, BA
- Using LBA will provide a much faster passage through security.
- Travelling from Leeds to Manchester may look viable on the map, but if you are in the Leeds area I would definitely use LBA. LBA is also closer to AMS!
- The lounges at LBA have been refurbished recently and the one used by KLM/Delta is quite good. Quiet, uncongested and with the aforementioned fresh bacon sandwiches.
Old Oct 2, 18, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Well I have now booked AMS-NCL air and now to book the train to Carlisle. I Told the wife we wouldn't need to book a tour in Carlisle to see Hadrians wall as the train ride NCL-CAR ought to have some views. Is there a preferred seating side on the train to catch enough of a view to satisfy (fake out) the wifey that it's the famous wall? How many minutes out from NCL should such a view pop up?

Search this Thread