Wiki Posts
Search

KLM biz is hit or miss, mostly miss

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: flying blue miles and more
KLM biz is hit or miss, mostly miss

KLM biz class is hit or miss, mostly miss, even as a platinum member.
Recent rip from AMS to YVR:
  • Lounge completely overcrowded
  • Showers dirty
  • Lounge food worse than in a canteen
  • Flying Blue service desk soon gone
  • Crammed in bus with all passengers
  • No priority lane or boarding
  • No greeting and no attention to platinum guests
  • Seat broken, does not full recline (180)
  • Drinks served in broken glassware
  • Food worse than in a canteen
  • Drinks spilled, need to clean up myself
Send a complaint, see what happens. Probably nothing.
skycruiserNL and KLBGO like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:09 am

Hi

I agree with most of your points. That being said, the positive ones should be mentioned as well and I think staff wise, KLM is in the worldwide top 5 airlines.

Normally SkyPriority is well executed in AMS. The lounges are bad but are being refurbished. Food wise, the Schengen lounge has been upgraded, don’t know about the non Schengen lounge.

The food aboard is horrific and is actually not better than economy. Broken glassware is unfortunate but not the standard.

I would file a complaint too.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I've only had one disappointing C experience with KLM recently (out of about 20), I let them know and got 8000 miles as compensation.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sheesh! That slop looks like it was rejected by every singly pig in the sty. How gross!

What on earth was it supposed to be?

Busing to a remote stand is also a disgrace, but a result of the total mismanagement of AMS in recent years. A complete focus on breakneck growth, without expanding facilities sufficiently to cope.

Johan
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:53 am

I agree about the lounge being overcrowded and the food in the lounge (although quite frankly, there are worse lounges out there), I find that the greeting/attention is a hit or miss based on the crew, I had excellent experience in that regard on 2 recent J trips CPT-AMS but I would hardly shed a tear if it wasn't the case.
For the rest, never had a problem with the food on board/glassware/broken seats etc., that doesn't mean it cannot happen but that would be the exception.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
This sounds exceptionally bad. Worth complaining. I've never had it this bad. Most of my flights are a delight, some merely mediocre. Never this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by caliform
This sounds exceptionally bad. Worth complaining. I've never had it this bad. Most of my flights are a delight, some merely mediocre. Never this.
i had a total same experience in J from AMS to JFK.
Bad service and bad food. Luckily the service is nearly always much more than average. I guess KLM had an off day.

I didnt filea complaint because it was a free upgrade from Y to J.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I definitely agree with you on the AMS lounges, they're some of the weakest business class lounges at any airline's hub I can think of and while lounges in general have improved over the years, KLM's have gotten worse.

As to the Business Class itself, it's solidly second rate. What it has going for it is are the crew members are typically wonderful and also it's vastly superior to KLM's awful 3-4-3 coach configurations on their 777s. Plus as long as they offer competitive Y to J upgrades at OLCI, I'll be a fan of it.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: flying blue miles and more
I have done about 20 business short-long haul KLM flights in the last 3-4 months. Only 1 flight was an absolute pleasure.
I am fine with using a bus, but then at least give business class passengers a separate less cramped car/bus.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I flew 2 long-haul round trips in KL J this year and the food on-board + service were excellent. So I think your experience is more an accident than the KL norm.
About KL lounges in AMS and lounge food...well I think we are all unanimous to say this is a shame for KL.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Side with Goldorak. The 3 intercontinental J flights I had with KL in the last 4 months were good quality. OP must have hit an A330 with old business chairs and indeed, met staff in an off-day modus. KL non-Schengen lounge in AMS is indeed below the standard I experience outside AMS.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by caliform
Agree. Usually, KL is well above the average EU airline. LX for instance recently forgot to cater J and standardized apology was all I got ...
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue.
Not a frequent bus. class flyer (unfortunately) but flew SOU-BOM on KLM returning on Air France and I thought KLM were by far the best. Lounge at AMS was pretty good (45?), whilst the CDG offering was akin to Butlins! Perhaps I was lucky.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by atflyer
OP must have hit an A330 with old business chairs
OP's photos clearly show the 777/747 seat.

As for my own experience -- the lounge in AMS is meh but surely beats sitting at the gate (and IMO is comparable to such airlines as Delta), the food could be better-presented but usually tastes ok and my glasses have never been broken (which, these things can happen and while it's clearly visible in the photo the crew member serving you probably just couldn't see it from their POV). Priority boarding sort of breaks down when buses are involved which is a shame but I can't really bring myself to care.

And yes every KL crew has been top-notch for me.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by CyBeR
OP's photos clearly show the 777/747 seat.
Yes, see it now. If that seat indeed was broken and did not recline in full that is a big issue since then you loose what is with distance the main benefit of flying business. Fair enough to get compensation for something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.