Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading KLM AMS-JFK flight from economy to business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Upgrading KLM AMS-JFK flight from economy to business

I'm flying from AMS-JFK in a few days (it's a return leg) and was thinking of paying to upgrade my seat to business. I was wondering what the best way is of securing a relatively low-cost upgrade? Many years ago when I flew from AMS I remember they offered a ~260 EUR upgrade when I checked the kiosk at the airport. Is the best way of getting a similarly-priced upgrade to go through the kiosk, to check in online the night before, or just ask at the counter at the airport? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:21 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
These upgrades at check in are in no way guaranteed, as they are not always available. On some routes more of these upgrades are available than on others, and even your upgrade-history takes a role in whether you will be eligible for an offer.

These offers, if available, show up during online check in..as well as at the airport. Sometimes they do not show up as an offer, but the system simply allows to select a seat in the business cabin (and then shows the fee to change to that seat).

Besides these check-in offers you could go through the regular process of upgrading (with cash or miles), but you are almost guaranteed that the price will be much higher than a few hundred euro that way.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. So I was thinking of not checking in online and just heading to the airport kiosk to check in, to see if an offer pops up there. Is this advisable, or would you say it doesn't make a difference?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: FB Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by pennystinkard
Thanks. So I was thinking of not checking in online and just heading to the airport kiosk to check in, to see if an offer pops up there. Is this advisable, or would you say it doesn't make a difference?
I would say it vastly reduces your chances and is certainly a gamble, it could pay off however if there is good availability. Online check in is the best way 30 hours before your flight, that is when I see most offers.

The nearer it gets to the flight chances are the less availability there will be as other passengers may have upgraded via cash or miles in that period.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shotb83
I would say it vastly reduces your chances and is certainly a gamble, it could pay off however if there is good availability. Online check in is the best way 30 hours before your flight, that is when I see most offers.

The nearer it gets to the flight chances are the less availability there will be as other passengers may have upgraded via cash or miles in that period.
Gotcha. Thanks, this is what I wanted to know - what the optimal way is of seeing offers. Will try my luck 30 hours before online, then!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
30 hours
24 hours, since it's a US destination.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:02 pm

I suggest as well to start the check in process right away as soon as it opens. Take a look at the seat selection as described above. For me this is the most frequent way to get an upgrade. I think the price you mentioned is not realistic anymore. Depending on the loads it should be not less than around 370 euro..
pennystinkard likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:05 pm

As others mention, I’d check in as early as possible.

But don’t be surprised to get high prices offered. Last time I checked in for a KL AMS-JFK flight, the price was 1.299 euro for one leg.
In the past the price was always more than 600 euro for me so I’ll hope you’ll be lucky to get a better price.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Go to the service desk in departures 2 at day of departure and ask for a DoD upgrade. Might get a very good or ridiculously overpriced offer if there's any seats left
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:14 am

When checking in online try to select a business seat - it will often show you the offer even if it doesn't show as a pop-up.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the responses. I’ve now checked in and there is a business upgrade offer for 549 EUR for the AMS-JFK leg. Would you say this is a good bargain, or would I get an even better price by checking at the airport tomorrow?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:47 am

Thanks everyone for the responses. I’ve now checked in and there is a business upgrade offer for 549 EUR for the AMS-JFK leg. Would you say this is a good bargain, or would I get an even better price by checking at the airport tomorrow?
It’s the best upgrade offer I have heard of since the new upgrading system.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobTL

It’s the best upgrade offer I have heard of since the new upgrading system.
Interesting, thanks. Would you mind saying more about the new upgrading system? So this means I wouldn’t get a better offer day of departure (which the user above suggests might be a possibility)?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:59 am

Interesting, thanks. Would you mind saying more about the new upgrading system? So this means I wouldn’t get a better offer day of departure (which the user above suggests might be a possibility)?
Since June, upgrade rates are sky high, both in terms of miles and cash.
KLM wants to seduce frequent flyers to buy full fare J tickets. In order to achieve that, they offer frequent Y flyers a one-off offer for a relatively low price to try out their J class. I believe this is such offer.
I think you are a traveler that travels semi frequently, like silver status in FB. Am I right?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobTL

Since June, upgrade rates are sky high, both in terms of miles and cash.
KLM wants to seduce frequent flyers to buy full fare J tickets. In order to achieve that, they offer frequent Y flyers a one-off offer for a relatively low price to try out their J class. I believe this is such offer.
I think you are a traveler that travels semi frequently, like silver status in FB. Am I right?
I actually travel really often, just never on KLM (rarely in Amsterdam), so I have no status with KLM. Do you think I have a chance of it being even lower at the airport kiosk tomorrow? I’d jump on it at 300 - 400 Euros but 549 is still a bit much for an 8 hour daytime flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.