Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Cancellation EU Compensation Claim - Help please!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Flight Cancellation EU Compensation Claim - Help please!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help -
I had a flight booked with KLM from Glasgow to Bilbao, which was via Amsterdam on 27th May (KL1478 & KL1689) . When I arrived in Amsterdam I was told my flight to Bilbao was cancelled. At this point any staff that I asked told me the flight was cancelled due to a delay with the incoming the aircraft. Nothing else was ever mentioned. I also checked the departures board and there didn't appear to be any other flights cancelled or even delayed.

I had to wait for 3 hours in the transfer line at the airport to receive my new ticket and hotel voucher. Even though there were 3 direct flights the following day from Amsterdam to Bilbao they put me on 2 more flights as below :
Flight number KL1721
Departure:
Monday 28 May 18 06:45
Arrival:
Monday 28 May 18 07:30
Brussels (BRU) - Bilbao (BIO)

Flight number SN3713
Departure:
Monday 28 May 18 11:50
Arrival:
Monday 28 May 18 13:40

When I asked why I was not put on the next direct flight, they insisted it was already full (however it was still appearing online to buy).
After finally receiving my hotel details, I was taken to my 'airport hotel' which was a 30 minute drive away. I arrived there at midnight and the 'dinner' that was provided was chicken nuggets, which as a vegetarian I declined. That was all the had on offer.
I was then told that the transfer would pick me up at 4am - leaving me with around 3 hours sleep. I only had hand luggage with me so it got me to the airport far too early. Again, I questioned it and I was told there was no other option. The staff were unbelievably rude too.

At the airport I had to buy breakfast and lunch and I also had to hire a car from Bilbao to drive to my destination as my original transport was no longer possible. I am around 120 euro out of pocket (And I also had to miss a day of work).

I claimed immediately from KLM and finally after 5 weeks they responded. They said the cancellation was due to weather and there was no compensation available. I questioned it and after a further 10 days, they again said there was no compensation available.

Is there a way to find out exactly why your flight was delayed? I don't believe for a second that this was the real reason. On the original cancellation email it says the flight was cancelled due to 'airport closure at Bilbao' but there were other flights landing at Bilbao at the time so that can't be true.
Does anyone know if it is worth me persisting? At least for my expenses and perhaps the EU compensation?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:35 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, char_m, and sorry to hear about your problem. Since your flights were on KLM I have moved your post to the dedicated KLM forum.

NewbieRunner, senior moderator
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:05 pm

If you disagree with KLM reasoning, you should try to check with one of the claim agencies, at the very least they can give you an indication whether or not compensation is due. (Having other flights arriving and/or departing from a specific airport is not an indication of anything, as if there is bad weather flight capacity might be lowered and so some flights will have to be cancelled)
Irrespective of whether or not compensation is due, KLM should reimburse you for reasonable cost of meals as part of their 'duty of care', car rental at your final destination and lost work day are not part of it though.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:34 pm

Hi

i understand your frustration.

First, are you a frequent traveler and if yes do you have any Flying Blue status?
Unfortunately, everyone who is flying frequently has experienced something similar. It is simply a part of traveling that flights are canceled or delayed. It happens. And the reasons are various.

It was not necessary to wait 3 hours in line at the transfer desk. KLM has a well functioning social media team that is answering within an hour on your question. Key is to provide them with all the necessary information in the first place and your wishes.

Please trust KLM when they say the next direct flight is full. Letting you fly via BRU is costing KLM money as they need to buy a SN ticket for you. And they want to avoid that as much as possible. So there is no use in arguing with the agent for that.

Schiphol has many food options and I’m sure you would have been able to find something vegetarian.
I understand the pick up times with those flight times. If you needed more sleep, why not a later flight? KLM doesn’t have a machine to create time. So it’s up to you what to decide.

This is really unfortunate but the reality of traveling.

I had this situation one time while traveling from LGA to YUL on DL and you know what I got? Nothing. No voucher. No meal. No hotel. No compensation. Nothing. And I am Flying Blue Elite Plus.
So KLM has done what they should.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I'll just say that if there was a three-hour wait at the transfer desk, then there probably was some major IRROPS going on.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Weather is not always an extraordinary circumstance, e.g. it gets windy quite often in Amsterdam.
You were at the hub of KLM. A late incoming aircraft (e.g. from a place with bad weather, e.g. VIE) is not an extraordinary circumstance. There are many spares available at AMS.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by char_m
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help -
I had a flight booked with KLM from Glasgow to Bilbao, which was via Amsterdam on 27th May (KL1478 & KL1689) . When I arrived in Amsterdam I was told my flight to Bilbao was cancelled. At this point any staff that I asked told me the flight was cancelled due to a delay with the incoming the aircraft. Nothing else was ever mentioned. I also checked the departures board and there didn't appear to be any other flights cancelled or even delayed.

I had to wait for 3 hours in the transfer line at the airport to receive my new ticket and hotel voucher. Even though there were 3 direct flights the following day from Amsterdam to Bilbao they put me on 2 more flights as below :
Flight number KL1721
Departure:
Monday 28 May 18 06:45
Arrival:
Monday 28 May 18 07:30
Brussels (BRU) - Bilbao (BIO)

Flight number SN3713
Departure:
Monday 28 May 18 11:50
Arrival:
Monday 28 May 18 13:40

When I asked why I was not put on the next direct flight, they insisted it was already full (however it was still appearing online to buy).
After finally receiving my hotel details, I was taken to my 'airport hotel' which was a 30 minute drive away. I arrived there at midnight and the 'dinner' that was provided was chicken nuggets, which as a vegetarian I declined. That was all the had on offer.
I was then told that the transfer would pick me up at 4am - leaving me with around 3 hours sleep. I only had hand luggage with me so it got me to the airport far too early. Again, I questioned it and I was told there was no other option. The staff were unbelievably rude too.

At the airport I had to buy breakfast and lunch and I also had to hire a car from Bilbao to drive to my destination as my original transport was no longer possible. I am around 120 euro out of pocket (And I also had to miss a day of work).

I claimed immediately from KLM and finally after 5 weeks they responded. They said the cancellation was due to weather and there was no compensation available. I questioned it and after a further 10 days, they again said there was no compensation available.

Is there a way to find out exactly why your flight was delayed? I don't believe for a second that this was the real reason. On the original cancellation email it says the flight was cancelled due to 'airport closure at Bilbao' but there were other flights landing at Bilbao at the time so that can't be true.
Does anyone know if it is worth me persisting? At least for my expenses and perhaps the EU compensation?

Thanks for your help
I would suggest to call KLM customer care and explain what happened once again.

While you might not be due any compensation under the EU regulation (not sure about that), I would certainly expect KLM to offer you some sort of commercial gesture for the hassle/distress caused as you had to spend such a long time hanging around the airport.

Hopefully you also have travel insurance that can fill some of the gaps not covered by KLM. If you don't have travel insurance, this is a wake up call for the future!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobTL
. If you needed more sleep, why not a later flight? KLM doesn’t have a machine to create time.
I suspect the OP doesn't have such a machine either: "And I also had to miss a day of work". I should imagine that char_m's first priorty was to get to his destination as quickly as possible.

Johan

Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I suspect the OP doesn't have such a machine either: "And I also had to miss a day of work". I should imagine that char_m's first priorty was to get to his destination as quickly as possible.

Johan

indeed. It’s either or. Only char_m could decide what was best.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are two separate EC 261/2004 issues here:

1. Duty of Care - This applies no matter the reason for the delay and includes a hotel, meals and local transportation. It does not include a specific hotel, a specific meal, or a specific type of transport. Those were all satisfied here. If what is on offer, e.g. too far from the airport, food not to one's liking and local transport not good, one is free to supplement that oneself out-of-pocket and claim against travel insurance or accept that as a personal choice.

2. Cancellation - The sole question was whether the cancellation was caused by an "extraordinary circumstance." One snapshot cannot answer the question. I have to presume that if this was the only delayed inbound to AMS, KL could find a replacement. But, with a three hour line, something must have been going on. If 10 flights were delayed inbound, at some point the usual becomes extraordinary. If not 10, at what number given that airports have physical capacity limits. As others note, there is precious little incentive to rebook OP on another carrier on a circuitous routing. In fact, most people have a fight on their hands when the other carrier is a better routing. The fact that a carrier is willing to sell a seat is meaningless in the case of rebooking. After a cancellation, the next flights were likely overbooked and while it may make sense to sell a seat, it makes no sense to rebook one stranded passenger for another. If OP waited for 3 hours in line, the likelihood was that the passengers who had the sense to call or deal with the Twitter team or had a TA with 24-hour emergency service, got the seats on the flights he wanted.

OP has his answer from KL. Claims agents only get paid when they win, so they do not take cases they cannot win. Many have simple search engines online which allow for the input of the details and will return an evaluation. While these are not dispositive, they do give an idea of whether it is worth pursuing the matter. If OP is UK-based, he could initiate a simple MCOL proceeding after issuing a Letter Before Action (forms available on the MCOL website). Rather than fighting with KL further and then doing the Letter, better to simply move to that Letter if OP is inclined to proceed. If not inclined, forget it and move on.

Worth remembering that many travel insurance policies will pay out flat reimbursements and, without knowing the exact AMS hotel situation that night, OP might well have been able to book what he wanted, eat what he wanted to eat, and move between airport and hotel as he wished, on those funds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.