Who takes care of horses in KLM cargo?

Reply

Old Jul 14, 18, 5:49 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: MPC, Miles and More, Skywards, FlyingBlue
Posts: 9
Talking Who takes care of horses in KLM cargo?

Hello everyone on the FT community, new member here.

My horse will be flying on KL888 HKG-AMS on 16 July, on the 747 combi (in the cargo hold,of course :P). Anyone on the same flight?

Very interested to know if anyone has connections with the people who take care of the horses on the flight. It's a long shot but would be awesome if anyone has some information!
nibbles360 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 6:16 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: AMS
Programs: FB
Posts: 30
I know they use multiple professional grooms to escort the horses - depending on the number of animals travelling. You could check out the AF-KL-Cargo website or call the Animal Hotel at AMS.
Didymis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 7:15 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: MPC, Miles and More, Skywards, FlyingBlue
Posts: 9
Awesome, thanks. Have sent AF KL cargo an email, let's see if I get lucky
nibbles360 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 2:55 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milwaukee
Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by nibbles360 View Post
Hello everyone on the FT community, new member here.

My horse will be flying on KL888 HKG-AMS on 16 July, on the 747 combi (in the cargo hold,of course :P). Anyone on the same flight?

Very interested to know if anyone has connections with the people who take care of the horses on the flight. It's a long shot but would be awesome if anyone has some information!
They fly with a professional who takes care of them during the entire flight. I flew on a 747 combi from AMS to JFK and during the flight the horses caretaker opened the door between cargo and the passengers and showed the passengers the horse. I will never forget it. I'm not sure how they will be able to transport horses once the 747's are retired from their fleet.

Best of luck to you!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Lakeviewsteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 3:40 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: AMS
Posts: 1,113
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post
I will never forget it. I'm not sure how they will be able to transport horses once the 747's are retired from their fleet.
This is a very good question as KL's use of the 74Ms for this is quite famous and makes them quite a bit of money. IIRC KL is the largest transporter of horses by air in the world.

According to this blog post: https://blog.klm.com/how-a-horse-flies/ they will start doing it using the full freighter 747s which aren't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
CyBeR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 3:59 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 11,868
Expect KL888 will be a lucky flight!
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/KL...00_combi_B.php
https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/04/20/...que-747-combi/
<snip>
KLM remains the sole operator of the 747-400M after EVA Air retired theirs in 2015. With their old age, these 747s will soon be retired as KLM continues taking delivery of newer and more efficient planes. While a flight on the Combi is like any other 747 flight, for aviation enthusiasts, the rare bird is one many seek to fly before the last one is retired.
Many horses are flown around the world.
Charters/Part charters
https://www.irt.com/
International Horse Transport | Shipping Horses by Air

The Dubai royal family's has a B747 freighter, operated by Dubai Air Wing, just to transport there own horses. Some other horse owner may have a truck.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 8:39 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta Metro
Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA
Posts: 757
You mean you're not bringing your horse into the cabin with you as an emotional support animal? What's wrong with you?
hotturnip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 9:11 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: MPC, Miles and More, Skywards, FlyingBlue
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post
They fly with a professional who takes care of them during the entire flight. I flew on a 747 combi from AMS to JFK and during the flight the horses caretaker opened the door between cargo and the passengers and showed the passengers the horse. I will never forget it. I'm not sure how they will be able to transport horses once the 747's are retired from their fleet.

Best of luck to you!
wow lucky you! Such a cool experience
nibbles360 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 9:18 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 73,565
I've heard stories of major racehorses having their own groom, trainer, vet, etc. down in the hold with them during the flight, but this might be the equivalent of an urban legend.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 11:01 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,186
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I've heard stories of major racehorses having their own groom, trainer, vet, etc. down in the hold with them during the flight, but this might be the equivalent of an urban legend.
Valuable horses do travel with an entourage.
When horses fly: Getting a horse to the Rio Olympics | NBC Olympics
https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/an...ondon-olympics
https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36898318
freecia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 18, 11:48 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 10,847
Originally Posted by nibbles360 View Post
Awesome, thanks. Have sent AF KL cargo an email, let's see if I get lucky
As the owner of the horse, the airline will surely have provided you with comprehesive information on the services they are offering, without you having to ask?

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 18, 1:10 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Melbourne MEL Calgary YYC
Programs: UA1K, QF & *A & Marriot Gold, OW Sap, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Posts: 219
Race horses travel with their own trainer to avoid any doping or foul play, you might have been able to request you travel with your horse but maybe you need some vet / trainer credentials.
Jimmie Jet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:15 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: MPC, Miles and More, Skywards, FlyingBlue
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
You mean you're not bringing your horse into the cabin with you as an emotional support animal? What's wrong with you?
haha i'm sure he'd love to be with me in the cabin! but unfortunately I am only flying out a few days later.

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
As the owner of the horse, the airline will surely have provided you with comprehesive information on the services they are offering, without you having to ask?

Johan
everything was arranged for me through a shipping agent. I'll probably get updated when he arrives but was just very interested to know if I could get any updates of how he's coping on the actual flight.


Thanks all for your insightful input! I actually had no idea 747 combis existed until recently, let alone used for this purpose. had i planned better I could have booked myself on the same flight!
nibbles360 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 18, 7:15 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 4,670
Very interesting thread. I think the only KL 747s I've flown on were combis. ORD-AMS, JFK-AMS-JFK a few times.
Never thought that there might be live things behind the wall.
mot29 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 18, 10:58 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: KL
Posts: 22,847
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post
I'm not sure how they will be able to transport horses once the 747's are retired from their fleet.
Replace the caravan with a horsebox, and bingo.

irishguy28 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: