Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Booked business class on KLM website but Etihad showing as Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Booked KLM flights (with segments operated by Etihad metal) - LHR - AMS - AUH - SYD return

KLM fare was for world business class and showed business class against all segments. Manage booking section on KLM website all looks fine.

However after getting my Etihad PNR to try to log in and select seats on Etihad website was shocked to see it showing economy class for all their segments other than the 45 minute hop to Amsterdam.

How can that have happened - and what is my best course of action to get things fixed (I don't want KLM to just cancel the ticket). I could have easily only found out when at Amsterdam which would have been rather horrific to say the least!!

Last edited by dingdong380; Jul 10, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
What do the booking classes in the ticket say? I have flown AMS-AUH-SYD on KLM/Etihad (ticketed by KLM), and I remember having trouble with viewing the booking and selecting seats, so personally I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I can't find booking class - its not shown anywhere on my PDF ticket or if I log back in can't seem to find booking class anywhere on the website. However it does say Business Class against each segment in my PDF.

Interestingly I couldn't book any seats on Etihad so maybes the best plan is to call them to book seats and see what cabin they want to give me?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I wouldn't worry too much about it. KLM and Etihad use different GDSs so there may be some miscommunication there.

But you are probably correct to ring Etihad, give them the Etihad PNR, and verify that your booking is in order, and request seat assignments. Beware, though, that Etihad customer service is not the best.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Why call Etihad? He booked it on KLM.com. Ask them to clarify etc, and they even have a better CS.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I had a similar ticket KL marketed / EY operated to SYD via AUH last December and I had no trouble on pre-selecting seats.
Anyway, just to be sure, you can put your KLM reservation number / ticket number on the Saudia website and easily check your booking classes.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLBGO
Why call Etihad? He booked it on KLM.com. Ask them to clarify etc, and they even have a better CS.
Because the issue here is with how Etihad sees the ticket, not with how KLM sees the ticket.

We all know that KLM sold a business class ticket, and KLM doesn't doubt that it's a business class ticket, but the question mark is over what Etihad's internal systems see - so asking KLM isn't going to solve anything. The worry here is that Etihad will instead seat the customer in Economy. That's why Etihad - as the party that are "in the wrong" - need to be queried. KLM won't know or see that there is any potential issue with the ticket, because they are not looking at the ticket in Etihad's system. So ringing KLM is just going to confirm their side of the story - that everything looks fine from the KLM side - which is not the side where the potential problem is.

KLM and Etihad do not work so closely that asking KLM will be of any help here.

And besides, if the OP wants to select seats on the Etihad flights, (s)he will have to ring Etihad anyway, given that the website doesn't allow seat selection for this ticket. And again, assigning seats on Etihad flights is a task that requires you to contact Etihad, not KLM.
glennhaak and Goldorak like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 11, 2018 at 1:54 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Had similar issues last year flying a combined AZ / EY ticket in Business Class.
I solved my seating issues by contacting EY via Twitter (and followed up via DM's on Twitter). >> @EtihadHelp

Why Twitter? Because first I called their CS and the girl I spoke to was very not understanding and giving me rather ...... CS which made me actually pissed off on her.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:38 am

You can select seats on the Etihad app if you have the correct PNR.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
KLM tech is notoriously bad at communicating with other carriers' systems. Even KLM and Delta can't get it right between them and they are first tier partners. I am sure Etihad will be able to confirm that you have a business class reservation. Interested to read result.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If Etihad seats you in Economy, at least you get back 75% of the fare - from Etihad, as it is the operating carrier from AMS.
What was the price of the ticket?
If less than GBP 1700, I'd worry.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
You can select seats on the Etihad app if you have the correct PNR.
That is not always guaranteed to work when the ticket was booked in a different GDS/issued by a different airline.

And the fact alone that website is reporting the wrong class, and preventing ticket selection, makes it unlikely that the app will do any better.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Call KLM and let them investigate first. You booked with them, they should be able to see/check with their partners how it's recorded into the systems.
KLBGO likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Wunk
Call KLM and let them investigate first. You booked with them, they should be able to see/check with their partners how it's recorded into the systems.
You're joking of course ...
irishguy28, Fabo.sk and Goldorak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.