Wiki Posts
Search

New long haul economy service coming

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by majik
That video seems to contradict a key line in the press release:
So if you remove the pre-dinner drink and snack service then you are reducing the amount of food and drinks served. Overall a confusing announcement, par for the course with KL!
No, the same amount of food, but higher quality.
And technically, a bottle of water is also a drink that you get pre-meal, so I guess they manage to get away with the claim like that.

That being said, if they manage to increase quality of the food while reducing workload like this, I honestly think it's a pretty clever solution. With the one attendant less on flights they had to make some kind of concession to keep workload manageable which on one side might reduce service a bit (no hot towel, no pre-dinner selected drink) but increases on the other side (quality of food).

Latter has yet to be proven though, I've only once been really amazed by the quality of food in the air and those were hamburger sliders on a Delta domestic flight in first. The presentation of food in business class is usually pretty good, but the quality generally..meh.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I'm a bit surprised by the forum reaction. I can't see anything new here. When flying to South America in May in Y i got a pre drink, hot towels, warm meal of course, a salad, ice cream, chips, lots of water, cognac to the coffee, etc, etc...
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Originally Posted by KLBGO
I'm a bit surprised by the forum reaction. I can't see anything new here. When flying to South America in May in Y i got a pre drink, hot towels, warm meal of course, a salad, ice cream, chips, lots of water, cognac to the coffee, etc, etc...
Don't get me wrong KL's Y soft product generally shines above its immediate competition, I'm looking at you BA.

KL food is ok, it's the staff that make the difference. That became really apparent on a recent AC itinerary. AC's soft product is really poor, very poor food and service. I really missed my jovial Dutch FAs on that one. But the crux is that a carrier like AC offers a premium Y hard product that is actually very good value and KL has nothing that can compete. You end paying more for a KL Economy Comfort seat than a seat in AC's premium Y.

So if KL start scaling back their soft product then for me they stop being competitive. The press release is in really dressed up in language. The service offering is being scaled back. I mean who can judge better quality food in Y, by what metric? Quality of food is a very subjective phrase. However what I can judge is the amount of food/drinks and timeliness of service and both of these will change for sure.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
That being said, I've never been denied any drinks when asking for them in KLM Y. All for free, including the more expensive spirits like Whiskey or Cognac.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: FB Gold
1 FA less but still 2 pursers, 1 hugely overpaid one for doing completely nothing and 1 Y-class purser running his/her butt off because the lead purser is busy acting very busy.
Solution to the whole problem is having the lead purser do his/her job. But, unions....
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't think of any reason why a cabin crew team of not even a dozen needs two supervisors. One purser should be plenty enough.

Johan
Goldorak and Wunk like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by majik
Much like the "Flying Blue for Me" they've again hired a none native English speaker to come up with the slogans:

"Tasty Warm" and "More than Food"

With less FAs they probably don't have enough to do all these handout services.
If you're going to be really picky then that would be fewer FA's.

But I do agree with your point. The slogans are lousy.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Pursers... many of them... do not even know what a business class ticket actually cost...

Pursers... the art of walking around during the flight doing nothing yet pretend to be busy.

Yet if a purser actually does something it is a truly nice surprise... how sad is that for the pursers who actually care...
nldogbert likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:30 am

Has anyone here experienced the new service yet?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Not on a AMS->ATL flight. I asked on-board, and this new economy service will be for some long-haul flights, "not the biggest ones".
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
Not on a AMS->ATL flight. I asked on-board, and this new economy service will be for some long-haul flights, "not the biggest ones".
The new concept is being introduced gradually from July 1st. The plan is to have it implemented on all longhaul flights by the start of the winter schedule.

Johan
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The new concept is being introduced gradually from July 1st. The plan is to have it implemented on all longhaul flights by the start of the winter schedule.

Johan
The press release says-

The new service will be introduced on the following nine destinations on 1 July 2018: Bonaire (via Aruba), Entebbe (via Kigali), Fortaleza, Osaka, Hong Kong, Vancouver, Seoul, Rio de Janeiro and Houston.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishbcn
The new service will be introduced on the following nine destinations on 1 July 2018: Bonaire (via Aruba), Entebbe (via Kigali), Fortaleza, Osaka, Hong Kong, Vancouver, Seoul, Rio de Janeiro and Houston.
With all of the other longhaul services to follow over the next four months.

Johan
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Experienced this service today flying AMS-EBB.

No pre-meal drink other than bottled water. There werent any expanded options of meals, just chicken or pasta as it has always been.

No ice cream/water service mid-flight and also the snack at flight's end was just a small pizza whereas this used to come on a tray with a salad and dessert. Overall, seems like this service is slimmed down and certainly left me much more hungry than previous flights on this route.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
As usual everything gets less and less and less. I still think there is a minimum bottom to the service quality which the airlines would be unwise to descend below. I think passengers need to be vocal about it, let KLM know, not accept utter rubbish. I recall recently reading that the staff of Helvetic Airways in Switzerland made a scene with their management about what they perceived to be the unacceptable quality of what was being served to passengers.

I had hopes about this new KLM service, because I felt that they had genuinely improved their offering on European flights in Economy class in recent months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.