Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How strict is KLM on handluggage size?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

How strict is KLM on handluggage size?

All of our handbaggage is 55 x 40 x 23, which seems to be standard for many European airlines. After booking a transatlantic flight with KLM I have discovered that KLM allows handbaggage to be only 55 x 35 x 25. Is this likely to be a problem?
Old May 25, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it is not likely to be.

Johan
Old May 26, 2018, 1:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
I have never got my hand-baggage checked flying with KLM. I guess if it is not obviously too big, there should not be a problem.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:42 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You will most likely be fine. I generally fly with a bag of the same dimensions and on hundreds of KLM flights I have never had an issue. I do use the priority lane though, so they may be less strict - but I don’t believe that your bag is excessively large.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:18 am

The only airports where I've had issues on AFKL are CDG and YUL. I used to fly out of YUL frequently and the only time they did not question anything was when I was flying in J. They even created a scene over a puffer coat, gloves, and a hat once when it was -20°C ouside.
So unless you're flying back from YUL you will likely be fine.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
They never check hand-luggage, wich is a good thing -- in most cases. On my last flight however the FAs was asked to help a female passenger to put her hand-luggage into the overhead comp. Is must have weighed about 25 kilos, as the FAs struggeled to get it lifted. They were laughing quite a lot afterwards and the passenger didn't get any (other) comments.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLBGO
They never check hand-luggage, wich is a good thing -- in most cases.
Depends on your perspective.

Far too often all those steamer trunks and kitchen sinks that pax bring on board cause so much chaos that the aircraft pushed back behind schedule.

Much stricter enforcement than is the case now would be a good thing.

Johan
Old May 27, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Rollaboards are semi-regularly gate-checked on short-haul flights in AMS, esp if you have a second item (eg a purse), incl for J passengers.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ok986
Rollaboards are semi-regularly gate-checked on short-haul flights in AMS.
That, in my experience, is more miss that hit. When they do, they tend to pick only on the very largest bags.

Almost always seated in one the first rows, and generally amongst the first to board, I get to see the entire parade come by. That includes plenty of big rollaboards, often with an attache case or other bag parked on top. Regardless of class of travel.

Johan
Old May 28, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by ok986
Rollaboards are semi-regularly gate-checked on short-haul flights in AMS, esp if you have a second item (eg a purse), incl for J passengers.
I never had any of my luggage at the gate, despite almost always travelling with a trolley + laptop bag, even when the trolley is 55x40x20 or so.
KLM would "encourage" PAX to check-in their bags if the flight is full, but I have never seen them force PAX to do so in AMS, and in airports when they do force it (LHR comes to mind), they don't check the size.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Depends on your perspective.

Far too often all those steamer trunks and kitchen sinks that pax bring on board cause so much chaos that the aircraft pushed back behind schedule.

Much stricter enforcement than is the case now would be a good thing.

Johan
I couldn't agree more, little annoys me more than people with arms full of bags, filling an entire locker, designed for a row of passengers, or worse still, leaving them up at the front of the aircraft, in the lockers marked for business class only, then wandering back to take one of the cheap seats !
Solevita likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Ditto
I never had any of my luggage at the gate, despite almost always travelling with a trolley + laptop bag, even when the trolley is 55x40x20 or so.
KLM would "encourage" PAX to check-in their bags if the flight is full, but I have never seen them force PAX to do so in AMS, and in airports when they do force it (LHR comes to mind), they don't check the size.
I've seen it. Well, not sure if it was forceful compared to LHR, but it was more than a mere suggestion or encouragement.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tezzer
worse still, leaving them up at the front of the aircraft, in the lockers marked for business class only, then wandering back to take one of the cheap seats !
They even open J class lockers that have been closed because they are already full, happily holding up all the pax behind them and delaying boarding even further. It is one of the reasons I'm much in favor of boarding through two doors. It deprives half the pax of the opportunity.

Johan
Old May 28, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: KL Plat
In March I noticed a largish family type group (I think 3 or 4 adults, 3 kids) boarding near the end. 3 or 4 rows of EC virtually empty so the overhead bins empty too. Y seemed full as far as I could tell.

They plopped all their luggage straight in the EC lockers without bothering to see if there was space at their seats (OK could have been a smart call from them being near the end of boarding).

Now, call me cynical, but not long into the flight somebody apparently wasn't feeling so good. I was just sitting with my eyes closed but vaguely heard what was happening, somebody being moved up to EC, purser asking if they're feeling any better, then 'felt' the empty row behind me no longer empty. Opened my eyes and yes it just happened to be the family that conveniently filled the EC lockers
Old May 28, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by KLBGO
They never check hand-luggage, wich is a good thing -- in most cases. On my last flight however the FAs was asked to help a female passenger to put her hand-luggage into the overhead comp. Is must have weighed about 25 kilos, as the FAs struggeled to get it lifted. They were laughing quite a lot afterwards and the passenger didn't get any (other) comments.
I would be not happy to sit nearby.. There's a maximum weight capacity for a reason, such as turbulence and crash landings...

I would love KLM to enforce their bagage rules..
KLBGO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.