Can I Reserve a Second Seat at a Discount if I'm Not Fat Enough?

Old Mar 23, 18, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Can I Reserve a Second Seat at a Discount if I'm Not Fat Enough?

I read this on the KLM website about getting an extra seat for "passengers of size":

If you compromise a portion of the adjacent seat(s) on a KLM operated flight, we advise you to book a second adjacent seat in advance. A second adjacent seat can only be purchased by calling KLM Telephone Reservations. You will receive a 25% discount on the second seat. If, upon departure, another seat was available in the same travel class on your flight, you can apply for a refund of the costs of the second seat.

So if I am flying and I want a guaranteed empty seat next to me, can I book the second seat at a 25% discount and get a refund if there are any empty seats left in economy at take off?

Or do I have to pass an obesity test to take advantage of this procedure?

(does seem like a pain in other ways, for example, no OLCI.)

Here is the page: https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/cus...tion/index.htm
Old Mar 23, 18, 2:48 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Interesting idea

On a similar vein, I've noticed several times now, after the curtain is moved forward 3ish days before departure, I'll go to pick A&B in the first EC row for me & my partner. Check again later in the day, and some very friendly person has picked C, despite E F & G being free on the opposite side.

Who are these people?!
Old Mar 23, 18, 3:07 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Solevita View Post
Interesting idea

On a similar vein, I've noticed several times now, after the curtain is moved forward 3ish days before departure, I'll go to pick A&B in the first EC row for me & my partner. Check again later in the day, and some very friendly person has picked C, despite E F & G being free on the opposite side.

Who are these people?!
I'm wondering too!
On a similar note, I've managed to get a 90% success rate of having an empty seat next to me on KLM's flights recently. It took a lot of flights and observation but I'm happy with my method now.
Old Mar 23, 18, 5:27 pm

Programs: FB Platinum; Priority Club Spire; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Mirk View Post
I'm wondering too!
On a similar note, I've managed to get a 90% success rate of having an empty seat next to me on KLM's flights recently. It took a lot of flights and observation but I'm happy with my method now.
Do you fa*t a lot ?🤤
irishguy28 and arjen05 like this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 12:19 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Ardecos View Post
Do you fa*t a lot ?🤤
Tried but doesn't work, people stay in their assigned seat no matter what
Old Mar 24, 18, 6:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory
Interesting idea

Who are these people?!
Most likely people that just do OLCI because they have to, do not look at the seat map, and just accept whatever seat they are automatically assigned (C in this case...).
Old Mar 24, 18, 1:53 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Interesting idea

Who are these people?!
Much better to book A&C.
- less people will accept a middle seat between two filled seats as opposed to an aisle seat (where they might honestly not care the middle is taken or not)
- anyone in the middle in the worst case will be happy to switch with either of you.
Old Mar 26, 18, 3:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Mirk View Post
I'm wondering too!
As mentioned, you should pick A/C, not A/B. You can always switch; aisle and window are always preferred and you'd be holding both.

Many people that fly for business / fly frequently just book and let the system handle the seat. I sometimes have no idea which seat I have.
Old Mar 26, 18, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by caliform View Post
As mentioned, you should pick A/C, not A/B. You can always switch; aisle and window are always preferred and you'd be holding both.

Many people that fly for business / fly frequently just book and let the system handle the seat. I sometimes have no idea which seat I have.
Indeed, I check because I usually buy Eco Comfort in KL, but if I didn't, than just a quick check whether my seat preference had been honored would suffice.
Flying single, I do try to select a row where window and middle are free, but the aisle is taken, to minimize the chance of someone taking that middle, but flights tend to be fairly full, so it's just as often someone will be seated there in the end. Eco Comfort has a slightly higher chance of this working.
Old Mar 26, 18, 2:57 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
A few times I have gone to select a seat in EC and found only the B seat taken in front of EC section, do people think that they will get the whole row by doing that ? I sometimes have an empty seat next to me and rarely the row. Mostly it is random pax that the computer puts there from a full economy cabin.
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
I read this on the KLM website about getting an extra seat for "passengers of size":

If you compromise a portion of the adjacent seat(s) on a KLM operated flight, we advise you to book a second adjacent seat in advance. A second adjacent seat can only be purchased by calling KLM Telephone Reservations. You will receive a 25% discount on the second seat. If, upon departure, another seat was available in the same travel class on your flight, you can apply for a refund of the costs of the second seat.

So if I am flying and I want a guaranteed empty seat next to me, can I book the second seat at a 25% discount and get a refund if there are any empty seats left in economy at take off?

Or do I have to pass an obesity test to take advantage of this procedure?

(does seem like a pain in other ways, for example, no OLCI.)

Here is the page: https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/cus...tion/index.htm
The best way to find out is by giving KLM a call, I don't think that it will be a problem, because it's a win-win for KLM
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:44 am
TBD
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Escape View Post
The best way to find out is by giving KLM a call, I don't think that it will be a problem, because it's a win-win for KLM
Selling a seat for 25% off when it isn't necessary isn't a "win" for KLM.
Old Mar 27, 18, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Given that they will still try to sell the seat anyway (and return those 75% if able to do so) I think it is.

disregard, I had it the wrong way round.
Old Apr 1, 18, 1:58 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
KL will not have to pay PAX related taxes for the empty seat.

Last edited by carnarvon; Apr 1, 18 at 4:29 am
Old Apr 1, 18, 5:10 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
KL will not have to pay PAX related taxes for the empty seat.
I was thinking that, but only on the cheaper fares are the taxes more than 25% of the total cost, so depending on the fare KL could win or lose.

Do they also save on the sandwich & drink for the non existent PAX or do they offer a second helping

Search this Thread
Search Engine: