AMS Restaurant Suggestions?

Reply

Old Mar 20, 18, 9:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Programs: HH Diamond
Posts: 6,394
AMS Restaurant Suggestions?

We arrive at 11:30am from NYC on KL, then going by train to Valkenburg, which I understand is 3 hours away. Given our schedule constraints, we don't have time to go into Amsterdam for lunch, but waiting until we get to Valkenburg is too long. Can anyone suggest a decent restaurant at AMS, presumably after we exit customs? We're fine to change terminals...

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!
as219 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 18, 9:44 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 1,935
There's a decent enough selection, but I can't personally recommend either of these.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/what-to-d...fore-security/

They are all in the central plaza area, which is where the trains are.

edit: that's not to say I recommend not to eat there. I just don't have any experience with any of the places.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Mar 20, 18 at 11:01 am
Fabo.sk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 18, 10:27 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,764
Depending on what you're looking for I'd personally recommend LaPlace at Schiphol Plaza - otherwise I'm sure the Sheraton would have something for lunch as well.
mfkne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 18, 10:37 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Programs: EY Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold
Posts: 4,917
Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Depending on what you're looking for I'd personally recommend LaPlace at Schiphol Plaza - otherwise I'm sure the Sheraton would have something for lunch as well.
For a quick sandwich I also find LaPlace has the best quality/price ratio.
KLflyerRalph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 1:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 119
Another option is to go to Albert Heijn supermarket at Schiphol plaza (not to be mistaken for AH TO GO). It's located across the Burger King, next to rhe airplanes shop..

You'll find everything you need for your train ride there including drinks, pastries and fresh sandwiches.
EvD86 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 2:43 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 1,935
Originally Posted by EvD86 View Post
Another option is to go to Albert Heijn supermarket at Schiphol plaza (not to be mistaken for AH TO GO). It's located across the Burger King, next to rhe airplanes shop..

You'll find everything you need for your train ride there including drinks, pastries and fresh sandwiches.
There's a proper AH there? Huh.
I've only ever seen the To Go one.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 3:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Programs: EY Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold
Posts: 4,917
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
There's a proper AH there? Huh.
I've only ever seen the To Go one.
Yes. It has quite a comprehensive selection. Not only the regular take-away stuff.
KLflyerRalph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 5:26 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 1,935
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
Yes. It has quite a comprehensive selection. Not only the regular take-away stuff.
And apparently open till midnight too... well that makes my late evening arrivals very different!
Fabo.sk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 5:41 am
  #9  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: AMS / ATH
Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Posts: 4,658
Originally Posted by EvD86 View Post
You'll find everything you need for your train ride there including drinks, pastries and fresh sandwiches.
And freshly made sushi
thijsseh likes this.
Xandrios is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:16 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 7,155
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
There's a proper AH there? Huh.
I've only ever seen the To Go one.
The To Go one actually serves quite good coffee at a low price, but you need Euro coins (I see the security men filling their coffee cups there). Up above the departures level beside the observation deck (free access) is a self serve which has food that is not too bad, but not great either. That’s where I go if I need to eat on arrival. Beside it is a pub with typical pub fare, perhaps better.
Concerto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:53 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,764
The self-service restaurant by the viewing deck is closed for renovations. Dakota Bar next door is open.
mfkne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 7:53 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 1,935
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post


The To Go one actually serves quite good coffee at a low price, but you need Euro coins (I see the security men filling their coffee cups there). Up above the departures level beside the observation deck (free access) is a self serve which has food that is not too bad, but not great either. Thatís where I go if I need to eat on arrival. Beside it is a pub with typical pub fare, perhaps better.
I think I've been to that pub once, more out of boredom (by necessity arrived at the airport like 4 hours before departure) and for a couple of beers, but I had a sandwich that was decent, though not great.

AH is gonna be useful especially to buy some necessities for home. Fresh bread, milk, some cheese and whatnot. Usually I arrive at Schiphol late enough that I miss the AH on the way from train to my apartment, so it's useful, especially if I've been away for a week or more.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 10:01 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk View Post
And apparently open till midnight too... well that makes my late evening arrivals very different!
There's been a supermarket in that location for about the past 50 years
Mcflyneo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 10:51 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 1,935
Originally Posted by Mcflyneo View Post
There's been a supermarket in that location for about the past 50 years
I knew there was AH at Schiphol, but I've thought it was just the AH To Go one. Hey, give me a break, it's not even a year since I first been to Schiphol
Fabo.sk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 18, 11:02 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 196
Restaurant Suggestions? Per Tutti, across BK.
Mcflyneo is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread