Search

Seat blocking in WBC depending on booking class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:51 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by ottone
That explains why, on my coming flight to YVR (Z class, FB Gold) I cannot choose a "G" seat in row 3 which looks available on the KVStool map (I now have a C seat, but in a 2-2-2 config I usually try to get the aisle in the central section (D or G seat).
You can request Seat Maps for any Booking Class in the KVS Tool (and easily see the differences in Available/Blocked seats):

[KVS Tool 8.8.5/Diamond - Seat Map: 01 Apr 2018/KL 681/AMS-YVR/777/C-Business]
Code:
     A      C      |    D      |    G      |    H      K      
 1   -      -           -I          -           -      -      [=] [L] [G]
 2   +      +           +           +           +      +
 3   -      -           +           +           +      +
 4   -      -           -           -           -      -
 5   -      -           -           -           [G]    [G]    [L] [G]
 6   -      -           -I          -I          -      -      [=]

[+] Available     [-] Unavailable    [X] Blocked         
[E] Elite         [P] Premium        [$] Chargeable      
[R] Rear-Facing   [%] Recline Limit  [I] Infant Bassinet 
[V] Keep Vacant   [F] Crew           [M] Missing Window  
[>] Exit Row      [W] Wing Row       [=] Bulkhead Row    
[L] Lavatory      [G] Galley         [C] Closet/Storage  
[|] Aisle         [^] Upper Deck     [S] Stairs
[KVS Tool 8.8.5/Diamond - Seat Map: 01 Apr 2018/KL 681/AMS-YVR/777/Z]
Code:
     A      C      |    D      |    G      |    H      K      
 1   -      -           -I          -           -      -      [=] [L] [G]
 2   +X     +X          +X          +X          +X     +X
 3   -      -           +X          +X          +X     +X
 4   -      -           -           -           -      -
 5   -      -           -           -           [G]    [G]    [L] [G]
 6   -      -           -I          -I          -      -      [=]

[+] Available     [-] Unavailable    [X] Blocked         
[E] Elite         [P] Premium        [$] Chargeable      
[R] Rear-Facing   [%] Recline Limit  [I] Infant Bassinet 
[V] Keep Vacant   [F] Crew           [M] Missing Window  
[>] Exit Row      [W] Wing Row       [=] Bulkhead Row    
[L] Lavatory      [G] Galley         [C] Closet/Storage  
[|] Aisle         [^] Upper Deck     [S] Stairs
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
Originally Posted by KVS
You can request Seat Maps for any Booking Class in the KVS Tool (and easily see the differences in Available/Blocked seats):

[KVS Tool 8.8.5/Diamond - Seat Map: 01 Apr 2018/KL 681/AMS-YVR/777/C-Business]
Code:
A C   D   G   H K
1 - - -I - - - [L] [G]
2 + + + + + +
3 - - + + + +
4 - - - - - -
5 - - - - [G] [G] [L] [G]
6 - - -I -I - -

[+] Available [-] Unavailable [X] Blocked
[E] Elite [P] Premium [$] Chargeable
[R] Rear-Facing [%] Recline Limit [I] Infant Bassinet
[V] Keep Vacant [F] Crew [M] Missing Window
[>] Exit Row [W] Wing Row Bulkhead Row
[L] Lavatory [G] Galley [C] Closet/Storage
[ ] Aisle [^] Upper Deck [S] Stairs

[KVS Tool 8.8.5/Diamond - Seat Map: 01 Apr 2018/KL 681/AMS-YVR/777/Z]
Code:
A C   D   G   H K
1 - - -I - - - [L] [G]
2 +X +X +X +X +X +X
3 - - +X +X +X +X
4 - - - - - -
5 - - - - [G] [G] [L] [G]
6 - - -I -I - -

[+] Available [-] Unavailable [X] Blocked
[E] Elite [P] Premium [$] Chargeable
[R] Rear-Facing [%] Recline Limit [I] Infant Bassinet
[V] Keep Vacant [F] Crew [M] Missing Window
[>] Exit Row [W] Wing Row Bulkhead Row
[L] Lavatory [G] Galley [C] Closet/Storage
[ ] Aisle [^] Upper Deck [S] Stairs
Thank you very much KVS.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, Delta
Blocked for KLM staff as well

I’m on some of these blocked flights for an upcoming trip. I even tried to do a dummy booking at highest bus class fare, but the seats were still blocked. Then I asked the KLM Twitter team to book me into the blocked rows, but they were blocked to them as well. They said they’ll open up at check in. What I don’t understand is why block them at all? If I was trying to book a flight where the seatmap shows very poor seat choices, I would look at booking elsewhere. If I’m spending that much money, I’d want to be sure of a decent seat!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:05 am

Same here. According to ExpertFlyer rows 2 and 3 blocked on a flight DPS-SIN in August. Only row 6 middle seats in the economy class cabin available... Asked the social media team about it, but they just told me, that all seats have been reserved... No information about status only selection. Just found out through you guys.

It's a super cheap fare, but a heads up would have been nice.

Update: Challenged the social media team about it and they won't admit seat blocking. Instead they tried to feed me some bs on the seat map closing when it's 80% full. That is not the case according to Expertflyer. Could ExpertFlyer be wrong here? Also I CAN still select a seat in row 6 other than the seat I already selected. And the seatmap has been unchanged since booking a few weeks ago.
If you block seats for elites be at least upfront about it. Interesting take on customer service...

See my article on medium if you are interested in this weird conversation:
https://medium.com/travelcheats/klm-...t-c31965207c89

Last edited by jayhamburg; Jun 20, 2018 at 5:26 pm Reason: Added Updated Information
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
I've noticed that:

Some blocking is only released for elite passengers pre-checkin for preferred seats, even the platinum line could not move my sis in law and brother (with no status) to two WBC seats in advance that I could select myself online as a platinum member.

Also, this selection opens up several hours before check-in to the staff, this is to accommodate any changes the staff may need.
i.e. a minor traveling with a guardian need to sit together per KLM rules. It's easier to grab one of the reserved set of seats rather then kick someone else out of his pre-selected seat and have a disgruntled traveler.

Then lastly, I seem to have noticed this one this week; Some seats seem to be blocked due to weight distribution. I was on an AMS-PRA flight this week that showed nearly full seat-selection wise but was only half full. Captain even announced that people could move, but only after we'd taken off due to weight distribution reasons.

So saying their staff is lying, might not be the case. I've experienced that they're actually unable to select some of these seats as they show as reserved/taken in their system as well based on the ticket they have on their screen.

Last edited by Wunk; Jun 21, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:12 am

There might be other reasons for seat blocking, but my issue is that they told me that the seatmap is closed, because of more than 80% seats being reserved.

There are far less than 80% of seats reserved according to ExpertFlyer.
And I can still select one other seat, so it is definitely not closed.

I believe them that customer service can't do anything about it, but why not just tell me the real reason?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by jayhamburg
I believe them that customer service can't do anything about it, but why not just tell me the real reason?
Because they might actually not have the full view based on their rights in the system? It's just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:25 pm

Just checked the seatmap again and now I get a different message, that the seatmap is closed. It's now a little more than 1 month until the flight and 76% of seats are taken, which kind of matches the statement, that the seatmap closes when around 80% of seats are taken.

Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:58 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
In some cases you can still change your seat on the Air France website (if the KL website is not allowing you to change your seat).
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by walkermom
What I don’t understand is why block them at all? If I’m spending that much money, I’d want to be sure of a decent seat!
Perhaps they want to ensure that those WHO book last minute and pay full fare are assured a choice of seats, specifically those which for whatever reason are perceived as more desirable than the rest.

Johan
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Gajan
In some cases you can still change your seat on the Air France website (if the KL website is not allowing you to change your seat).
Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't work. I can see the booking, but there is no button to change the seats. Would be interesting to know, if it was possible to select the blocked seats, when the seatmap was still open.

Just looked at a new booking for the same flight. Price is still exactly the same. It let's me select the one seat, that was available before the seatmap got blocked for changes altogether. When looking at 2 tickets the price goes slightly up and no seatmap is shown at all. Oh and there is now way to select a higher fare class when booking as the default one is already full flex with full baggage.

Also looked at the full flight DPS-SIN-AMS. Here the seatmap is shown, but no seats available to select. When looking at only the SIN-AMS flight I can select the three non bassinet seats in row one.

Last edited by jayhamburg; Jul 6, 2018 at 4:44 am
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:27 am

In what way do the seat maps differ?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Riham Hannaa
In what way do the seat maps differ?
See post 7 for an example

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.