Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Request for refund but received non-refundable vouchers from KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys, would appreciate your advice regarding my situation.

On a recent flight from Amst to KUL, I was asked by an FA to give up my window seat for a family who would like to sit together. I agreed reluctantly (as I had paid for that preferred seat) on the condition that I was given another window seat.

Long story short I was moved around from one seat to another for 4 times and ultimately had to sit in my most hated seat - front row in the middle of two people where people queueing up for toilets throughout the 12hr Flight.

I had repeatedly told the FAs in charge of this move that I wanted a refund, and when I emailed customer service I said this.

Initially they just said something along the line of “tough luck”, but I sent another (angrier) email asking firmly for my refund.

Another email sent by KLM and I have received a non-refundable vouchers which I can only use on flight purchases on KLM, Air France etc. *facepalm*

I am not planning to use KLM or fly anywhere again for next year so have no use for these vouchers. I just need my 30€ refund!

I have opened a Paypal dispute claim (as I paid for the extra seat through Paypal) but other than that is there any other recourse? I’ve emailed asking for an actual refund again but honestly I’m losing hope.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Keep pushing, consider trying via Facebook or Twitter.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by mfkne
+1 for social media.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
I reached out through FB before I filed a complaint through Customer Service. When I received CS reply, FB personnel said they can’t fo against CS’s judgment basically, lol. Seems like I have no choice but to keep on pushing...

I suspect if I go through Twitter it would just end up being like what KLM’s FB roundarounf answer? 😂
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:39 am

Oddly I've always gotten a straight refund when requesting refunds for options like these. You should too.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am not sure what you mean by "preferred seat".
KLM has four types of seat Economy comfort (a special forward section of the plane), extra legroom (exit row), preferred seat (favorite regular economy seats), regular economy:
https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/pre...ard/index.htm#

On KLM you need to pay for seat selection, unless you have status or are on a flex ticket.
Had you paid for a" regular economy seat" of a "preferred seat"?
In any case you ended up in a more expensive "extra legroom seat", so I understand that KLM feel that you are not due any refund, just a goodwill voucher.

You must have made quite a scene to change seats four times. Personally I would never "yield" my seat until I know where I will be reseated and like it. Clearly, you had time to choose your final seat as you were offered three others. In the end, you did not like the extra legroom because of traffic, which I understand. But that was your choice, nothing imposed by KLM.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Oddly I've always gotten a straight refund when requesting refunds for options like these. You should too.
I’m honestly not too sure why they’re so reluctant to refund me a mere 30€ (which is peanuts to them but a boon for me due to our weak currency).
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I am not sure what you mean by "preferred seat".
KLM has four types of seat Economy comfort (a special forward section of the plane), extra legroom (exit row), preferred seat (favorite regular economy seats), regular econony:

On KLM you need to pay for seat selection, unless you have status or are on a flex ticket.
Had you paid for a" regular economy seat" of a "preferred seat"?
In any case you ended up in a more expensive "extra legroom seat", so I understand that KLM feel that you are not due any refund, just a goodwill voucher.

You must have made quite a scene to change seats four times. Personally I would never "yield" my seat until I know where I will be reseated and like it. Clearly, you had time to choose your final seat as you were offered three others. In the end, you did not like the extra legroom because of traffic, which I understand. But that was your choice, nothing imposed by KLM.
To clarify preferred seat was basically MY preferred seat, which was a window seat in one of the only empty row left at the time. By the time I checked in online most of the window seats had been taken which was why I paid for a window seat. (It was seat 16A - and apparently this is a Preffered Seat according to KLM's website.)

I didn’t make a scene; I was moved to another window seat by the 1st FA, and she went away before she could see that another passenger actually had that seat. So I had to call another different FA to assist me to find a seat because the flight was almost full. The 2nd FA moved me to an aisle seat which I wasn’t happy with but it was still acceptable. I settled in the seat; then the 2nd FA came back to me again to tell me she managed to find me a window seat so I packed up AGAIN and moved to the front, only to find out that another person has claimed that seat and has now refused to move (even though it wasn’t their seat, but oddly the FA doesn’t seem to care about this or I supposed couldn’t do anything). So back I go to the aisle seat and lo and behold! Another passenger has moved into that seat! At this point the FA just gave up and gave me the seat I ended up with, promising me that I could get a refund and that she would make it up to me. That was the last I saw of her and the 1st FA.

So, you know, I was very accommodating and that was my mistake. Next time I won’t make the same mistake obviously...

BOTH FAs told me I could get a refund but never did advise me if there were extra steps I needed to take to ensure I get the refund. So that was my mistake to be naive enough not to get those details.

I’m not asking for much, just a 30€ refund for the window seat I paid for but didn’t get...

Last edited by msnaddie; Feb 14, 2018 at 4:36 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
If you haven't, use this form: https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/cus...tion_costs.htm
They generally just credit it to the payment method used (paypal/creditcard/etc)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wunk
If you haven't, use this form: (removed because apparently I can't post URLs for now)
They generally just credit it to the payment method used (paypal/creditcard/etc)
Thank you, this is very helpful!

I will wait for their response before I see how it goes, if they still refuse to refund me then this will be my next step. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.