Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Fee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Credit Card Fee

Be aware that according to an EU directive (with effect form 12 Jan 2018) Credit Card surcharges are no longer allowed for payments in the EU with a consumer credit or debit card.

European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Payment services: Consumers to benefit from cheaper, safer and more innovative electronic payments

Made a booking on klm.com yesterday and the usual surcharge was added. Called today and received apology and guarantee that costs will be reimbursed.

Do be aware of this when making bookings until the site has been updated (the agent could not give me a time frame when this would happen).
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:35 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Keep in mind that cards not issued by a consumer bank, still have the high fees. Ironically an example of this is..the AFKL Amex. In fact KLM has increased the fees for the AFKL Amex from 20 to 25 euro per booking.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Also keep in mind hat there is no local legislation implementing this in the Netherlands yet as the government has missed the deadline for passing it.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
For Visa and Mastercard issued by banks, the fee is removed. However if you have an AMEX or any co-branded card, the fee still applies: https://insideflyer.nl/creditcardtoe...haft-verhoogd/
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:25 am

Not in NL yet: https://www.nu.nl/geldzaken/5083991/...tml?redirect=1
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:44 am

The KLM site does seem to adapt the fee depending on the card.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph

The KLM site does seem to adapt the fee depending on the card.
This text has changed since I made my booking (14 jan). At the time of my payment the surcharge was the same for every card.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:07 am
Original Poster

LOT (Polish Airlines) by way of comparison has issued a statement that there will be no surcharges for any Consumer cards (incl. Amex).

Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Just booked a ticket with easy jet with American Express and I did not have to pay any extra costs!

KLM should be ashamed for charging there 'card' holders een fee!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
KLM should be ashamed for charging their 'card' holders a fee!
And while they're at it they should also be ashamed for the €10 "boekingskosten" that they keep adding.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne
Also keep in mind hat there is no local legislation implementing this in the Netherlands yet as the government has missed the deadline for passing it.
Lufthansa is exploiting this incompetence. 1,65% is still levied on flights from NL and BE.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
It's getting less and less beneficial to use or even keep the co-branded AMEX on KL flights in the last few months.

Fees increasing for payments, level miles disappearing in 2 months. Might as well either move onto a regular AMEX card to collect points and completely ditch the KLM co-branded one. I really hope AMEX and KLM are taking a very good look at what benefits have been slimming down or disappearing because that €600 a year for the platinum card REALLY isn't justified anymore.

I got a survey last week from KLM/AMEX about the co-branded card, asking me about importance of various benefits on it and asking me what I was missing and willing to pay extra to have this missing benefit added to it. I've made it very clear that a main missing benefit on the plat card (Priority pass Lounge Access, this is an airline card for crying out..) should already be part of the card and already covered by the current fee.
arjen05 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Wunk
Might as well either move onto a regular AMEX card to collect points and completely ditch the KLM co-branded one.
That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing, since I get the green AMEX with Membership Rewards for free from my bank. There is no reason to keep the FB AMEX, because only charging for AMEX (out of the big three) anymore is a big middle finger in the face of KLM's customers.
Wunk likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I got a survey about the Dutch FB AMEX card. There I had the opportunity to complain about the surcharge, and about the soon to disappear qualifying miles when you pay with the card at AF or KL. (Despite being Lifetime Platinum I thought I should show some solidarity with those who don't) Interestingly I was presented with a question about the card fee. Would I be prepared to pay a higher card fee to get the benefits that interest me. I said no: instead they should lower the card fee for removing benefits!
irishguy28 and Goldorak like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
They are pushing those cards hard though. Just got a call, a guy said he called from FB, first he asked how I liked the program... and then tried to push me into getting a card. Obviously the initial "survey" was to figure out what to present to me, as I mentioned I was a segment flyer and not much care for the miles, he kept about how the Amex gives me segments to make it easier to qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.