SEA-AMS-ZYR with stop in Antwerp - OK to disembark?

Old Dec 4, 17, 12:40 am
Original Poster

SEA-AMS-ZYR with stop in Antwerp - OK to disembark?

I'm looking at an outbound itinerary like this. If I get off in Antwerp, is there any harm to the rest of my itinerary, specifically the return? I know that you have to be at the ticketed departure point to start your departure, but haven't decided what city that would be (likely an open jaw).

13:24
Seattle, Seattle Tacoma
Operated byDelta Air Lines
Airbus A330-300
KL6032
Fri, Feb 16, 2018
08:30
Amsterdam, Schiphol
Transfer time 3h04
11:34
Amsterdam, Schiphol
KL2971 You will travel by train on this part of the journey.This high-speed train makes 1 stop in Antwerp.

13:08
Brussels, Brussels Midi Railway Station
Old Dec 4, 17, 2:48 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Flying Blue Gold, Starwood Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by WillTravel View Post
I'm looking at an outbound itinerary like this. If I get off in Antwerp, is there any harm to the rest of my itinerary, specifically the return? I know that you have to be at the ticketed departure point to start your departure, but haven't decided what city that would be (likely an open jaw).
It depens if you also have an inbound flight on the same ticket. If you don't, then you can easily throw away your train ticket. If you do have a return flight on the same ticket, the rest of your ticket may be voided. However, I do believe that you can bypass this by getting your train ticket stamped at Schiphol as proof that you 'used' your train segment. Maybe someone else has experience with that...
Old Dec 4, 17, 2:55 am

Programs: AF/KL GOLD, M&M SEN
nobody will check whether you get off the train at Antwerp or continue to Brussels when coming from Schiphol. So nothing to worry about there.
However : be careful on the return. On the return you will have to take the train from Brussels and cannot get on the train only in Antwerp. You will have to collect your train ticket in the Brussels Railway station and cannot get it in Antwerp (at least as far as I know). Also, don't try to skip the train on the return and just show up in Schiphol.
Old Dec 4, 17, 3:40 am

You must take the train before a flight (and show that you did so with a stamped train ticket) but they have no way of checking what you do with the train after your flight. So far as I know, they do not check that you have the stamped ticket of an earlier journey; just the one immediately preceding your flight.

Definitely do pick up the ticket at AMS though, even if you end up not taking it at all.
Old Dec 4, 17, 4:34 am

If you want to go to Antwerp, why not book the ticket to ZWE instead?
Old Dec 4, 17, 5:05 am

Be careful: KLM does actually fly to Brussels too. If your inbound is delayed, resulting in missing your train, you might end up being re-booked on a real flight to Brussels. If you do not take that flight, the rest of your ticket is cancelled. Happened to me once at the end of trip and instead of disembarking a train in Rotterdam, I needed half a day extra to get home. Checked luggage, so nothing I could do about it.

Last edited by Another user name to remember; Dec 4, 17 at 6:43 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 4, 17, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
If you want to go to Antwerp, why not book the ticket to ZWE instead?
It's rather more expensive.
Old Dec 4, 17, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Another user name to remember View Post
Be careful: KLM does actually fly to Brussels too. If your inbound is delayed, missing your train, you might end up being re-booked on a real flight to Brussels. You do not take that flight, the rest of your ticket is cancelled. Happened to me once at the end of trip and instead of disembarking a train in Rotterdam, I needed half a day extra to get home. Checked luggage, so nothing I could do about it.
If that happened, I'd adapt by buying a ticket back to my destination from BRU.
Old Dec 4, 17, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR View Post
You must take the train before a flight (and show that you did so with a stamped train ticket) but they have no way of checking what you do with the train after your flight. So far as I know, they do not check that you have the stamped ticket of an earlier journey; just the one immediately preceding your flight.

Definitely do pick up the ticket at AMS though, even if you end up not taking it at all.
So if you pick up the ticket at AMS, and don't take the train, and then later have a return flight from another city, that return won't be canceled?
Old Dec 4, 17, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel View Post
So if you pick up the ticket at AMS, and don't take the train, and then later have a return flight from another city, that return won't be canceled?
So far as I know, indeed. I've only ever done this the reverse way though (start in ZWE, go somewhere, never mind ZWE on the way back home) so don't take my word for it. But I've never heard of them checking earlier segments than the one immediately preceding a flight. They can't really expect you to hold on to a piece of paper with a stamp on it for potentially weeks or months.

As I said though, definitely do pick up the ticket; that they know about and is necessary. (Also you'll get FB miles for the "flight" then.)
Old Dec 5, 17, 3:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
They will check in AMS if you took the train on the way back, take train from BRU then and be sure that your ticket gets stamped in the train!!! KLM might even call the railway company to check that you where on the train.

If you pick up your ticket to BRU on the outward in AMS, that part of the itinerary is completed, get off any station you want. If they put you on a flight to BRU, eat the loss and buy a cheap short trainride BRU-ZWE.
Old Dec 6, 17, 1:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by danfl44 View Post
KLM might even call the railway company to check that you where on the train.
Can you elaborate on what they'd check? Aside from picking up the ticket itself (which can easily be checked digitally), it's not like the ticket inspectors tick off the names of passengers actually present in the train, right?
Old Dec 6, 17, 1:21 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
KLM might even call the railway company to check that you where on the train
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by KL895 View Post
Can you elaborate on what they'd check? Aside from picking up the ticket itself (which can easily be checked digitally), it's not like the ticket inspectors tick off the names of passengers actually present in the train, right?
Two months ago, I was checked by the inspector and he scanned my ticket, so I think the system could show I actually traveled. KLM lady in AMS called Thalys, I guess to confirm this, as my stamped ticket wasn't sufficient. Good thing though: I was sent to a special service luggage drop counter for this, which allowed me to skip a VEERY long line at Schiphol

On the way back, miles and segment posted just fine with just getting the train ticket.
Old Dec 6, 17, 4:57 pm

KLM lady in AMS called Thalys, I guess to confirm this, as my stamped ticket wasn't sufficient.
She called someone at KLM, actually. When you have a train segment they lock the ability for you to check in to your flight. The check-in agent needs to call someone to remove the lock so they can check you in.

(Apparently they can do it themselves too but they're supposed to have someone else do it.)

Good thing though: I was sent to a special service luggage drop counter for this, which allowed me to skip a VEERY long line at Schiphol
Outsize luggage?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: