Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Priority labeled bags delivery on baggage conveyer belt | thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority labeled bags delivery on baggage conveyer belt | thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by bodory
One has to bear in mind a regular bug in the process which is the tagging itself when flying with the family for instance. When I fly with my kids in Y, only my bags are tagged with the priority barcode (and the "F" letter on it), even with a common PNR. Of course all of our bags get the yellow tags but they are most of the time useless as the baggage system is assigning my bags to the priority container and my kids' bags to the regular containers. Upon arriving at destination, it makes absolutely no sense having half of our bags being delivered with priority and the other half upon the end. Sometimes though they all come together with priority, meaning the bags have been manually assigned to the priority container thanks to the yellow tags.
The check-in agent is not supposed to priority-tag your kids' bags. You may be able to ask her to check in the kids' bags under your name though. Some of them would agree with you that having both priority-tagged and non-tagged is ridiculous.

In the past, when status pax still got two bags rather than just one, I solved that problem by checking my non-status sister's bags under my name, with priority.

In BCN I've had them do the reverse -- check in a prio pax bags under my name, tagging both theirs and mine for priority -- but never at AMS.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by CyBeR
The check-in agent is not supposed to priority-tag your kids' bags.
I have no idea what the agent is supposed to do but what is done currently is a lose/lose/lose situation:
- I lose the benefit of having my bags delivered first (providing the benefit is actually working, which is the purpose of that thread)
- My kids (actually me, as they are too young to feel concerned) lose the hope of having their bags delivered first thanks to yellow the priority tag whereas the barcode primarily is ruling (who cares about luggage barcodes if not FTers?)
- The airlines loses its credibilty

You may be able to ask her to check in the kids' bags under your name though.
It is indeed possible however requires more work for the agents as they have to add extra e.g. paying bags in the system then waive the fees.

I am fine with having non priority bags for my non elite party when flying Y. Then the airline should be consistent and not put yellow tags on these bags.

Anyway, not a big deal as the benefit is a hit or miss.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by bodory
I have no idea what the agent is supposed to do
They are only supposed to priority-tag (yellow label + prio status in system) bags belonging to either business/first class pax, or those with status or ticket-based skypriority. Not those travelling with them.

No skypriority = no yellow label.

I am fine with having non priority bags for my non elite party when flying Y.
Then instead ask them not to priority tag? Obviously I've never tried that myself but I assume they can override that.

Last edited by CyBeR; Dec 6, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
The check-in agent is not supposed to priority-tag your kids' bags. You may be able to ask her to check in the kids' bags under your name though. Some of them would agree with you that having both priority-tagged and non-tagged is ridiculous.

In the past, when status pax still got two bags rather than just one, I solved that problem by checking my non-status sister's bags under my name, with priority.

In BCN I've had them do the reverse -- check in a prio pax bags under my name, tagging both theirs and mine for priority -- but never at AMS.
Offtopic: I have never had any issues when flying with my family and kids about luggage being tagged priority. (we do travel light). I would be highly amused if a agent would actually not label my kids bags as it will show my kids the difference between someone who thinks or does not think before he or she does something.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:58 pm

I find it strange that family bags are not supposed to be tagged priority, seeing as skypriority status itself often transfers to people on the same reservation: e.g. before I was FB gold, with my parents in Y on one reservation, my boarding passes would also show sky priority and my bags would be tagged priority (and generally arrive first too).

Anyway in recent experience, I've had the bags arrive first almost always at JFK, but hit or miss at LHR. Will have to pay more attention in other places.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:23 pm

SkyPriority doesn't transfer by itself to other people, some friendly ground agents might be going the extra mile to do so, but one should never expect it.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by rfrn
I find it strange that family bags are not supposed to be tagged priority, seeing as skypriority status itself often transfers to people on the same reservation: e.g. before I was FB gold, with my parents in Y on one reservation, my boarding passes would also show sky priority and my bags would be tagged priority (and generally arrive first too).
That only applies to award tickets booked by elites.

I should know if this worked differently -- my dad has been LTPE since Flying Dutchman turned into Flying Blue.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: Many
CDG-FCO with AF this morning: bags were first on the belt.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:41 am
Original Poster

AMS-JRO Bags where offloaded and waiting for me on the elite spot when I was first one true customs.

JRO-AMS
Bags are still in JRO... after I waited until all was unloaded.... they will be home delivered tomorrow or the day after!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:33 am
Original Poster

AMS - BOS 11 Jan bags on belt first
AMS - DUS 17 Jan bags where on belt LAST
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't check bags, so no personal experience, but the other day I was in 4F looking directly down the conveyor loading the bags. The priority bags came to a grand total of two, both of which were set aside and loaded last. What then happened to them at AMS is of course anybody's guess. I also noted with interest that the loaders identified a bag which was apparently destined for another flight. The conveyor was equipped with a scanner and some sort of tablet, so they scanned the bags label and entered some data on the tablet before taking it with them.

Johan
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Miracle in BHX on earlier this week. As I had given up all hopes of any improvement and was waiting for the bags seated, I saw some yellow/green tagged bags coming out first along with the crew bags!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: KL-PEFL
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
AMS-JRO Bags where offloaded and waiting for me on the elite spot when I was first one true customs.

JRO-AMS
Bags are still in JRO... after I waited until all was unloaded.... they will be home delivered tomorrow or the day after!
I love it when that happens: no need to lift 'em anymore.

(And in 40 years of frequent flying I gotta say it's rare, perhaps 3 times)
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
As long as it doesn't take too long.

I've had it happened once so far, after a delay connection was very short. Since I was doing the last part of the route overland, there was actually a chance the bag would still overtake me!
It didn't, but it was still delivered the next day.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My last KLM flight with a checked bag was AMS-JFK on October 30 and my bag came out very late in the delivery process. A few Priority tagged bags would come out and then a spurt of non tagged bags, then priority bags etc. I ended up waiting almost 20 minutes from the start of bags being delivered to get my bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.