Compensation

Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Compensation

Question here due to a cancelled KL flight.

2 separate tickets - KL and UA.

AMS-LHR on KL -- LHR-LAX on UA

AMS-LHR was cancelled due to mechanical which caused me to miss my LHR-LAX on UA and get a hotel for the night,

$1000 to UA for the change and $200 for a room at the T4 Hilton as I did not make it in time to catch another flight on UA that day.

What, if any, compensation should I be seeking from KL? The costs I incurred were a direct result of the mechanical cancellation of my KL flight.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
You are entitled to 250 EUR compensation under EU regulation 261. KLM is not responsible for consequential damages because you had a contract of carriage with them for your flight from Amsterdam to Heathrow.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
KL owes you nothing for consequential losses resulting from your missed United flight. You get the EU comp for your delayed arrival into LHR. All assuming separate tickets which is implied by the UA change fees
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne
You are entitled to 250 EUR compensation under EU regulation 261. KLM is not responsible for consequential damages because you had a contract of carriage with them for your flight from Amsterdam to Heathrow.
Actually even 250€ might not be due, depends on how late OP actually arrived to LHR.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Oh, that is true.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
You need to have travel insurance for that case.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Which travel insurance would cover missed connections on separate tickets? I have never seen such feature - if it does exist I would be very interested

I'm thinking that the OP has left very little time for the transfer at LHR, as there are many flights between AMS and LHR each day. I would expect that either the next KLM flight, or BA as an alternative, would allow to arrive with less than 2hr delay?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What time were you scheduled to arrive at LHR and at what time did you arrive at LHR? Put simply, what was the length of your delay at LHR?

Your separate ticket to LAX is irrelevant and any expenses you incurred for having missed the separate ticket flight are yours to bear.

I am sure that there is a reason for traveling on separate tickets, but when you do so, you do need to allow a good deal more time between your flights than on a connection because the risk of a now show is yours, not the carrier's.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I booked two separate tickets because I prefer to fly United on the long haul segment. It’s a gamble but it works out most of the time as I live in Amsterdam but travel to Los Angeles frequently. Prefer to keep my status with United as most of my intra Europe travel is on KLM

KLM was not able to get me to LHR until the following morning. I ended up booking a separate ticket on British Airways to ensure that I would arrive that evening into Heathrow.

KLM has already offered me a €350 voucher which I will except based on your feedback. Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
It's a gamble that might work usually, but then it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the cost when it doesn't.

FWIW the carrier has to get you to your destination at the earliest opportunity, not by their own flight or by an alliance carrier or whatever. You could have demanded rerouting on BA, but then YMMV on the success rate.

Oh and think about whether the voucher is worth it for you (especially if it's single use). Might be better off with 250 cash.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by avi8tir
I booked two separate tickets because I prefer to fly United on the long haul segment.
First of all, why!? Second, you are aware that UA flies to AMS, right?

Prefer to keep my status with United as most of my intra Europe travel is on KLM
That also makes very little sense. Gain status on AFKL instead and you can just fly KL non-stop from AMS to LAX.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Which travel insurance would cover missed connections on separate tickets? I have never seen such feature - if it does exist I would be very interested
A number of independently-sold travel insurance policies will cover expenses related to a flight that is missed because an earlier flight on the same trip is cancelled.

For example: American Express Travel Insurance. Check out their 'Global Trip Delay' benefit description on page 14 of the policy.

(In this case, subsection 2(b) would be sufficient -- the departure of OP's original flight was delayed or cancelled, and he incurred hotel and additional flight expenses as a result.)
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In any event, KL and UA have an interline ticketing agreement. There is absolutely no reason why OP could not have purchased a single ticket for the same routing. In that case, he would have been due EUR 600 and had his hotel and meals covered.

As to rebooking on another carrier, while OP could have pushed for it, nothing in EC 261/2004 requires "earliest opportunity." Doesn't mean KL would not have rebooked, but it's important not to make legal arguments to staff which are not backed up.

Finally, when KL cancelled its flight, OP was entitled to a refund of his KL ticket and purchased any other carrier if he wished.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:56 pm

What Credit card did you use to book the flight? If you used a CSR, AMEX platinum, etc, you may be able to get reimbursement from them. However, because it was mechanical, it's not guaranteed. Just a thought.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
In any event, KL and UA have an interline ticketing agreement. There is absolutely no reason why OP could not have purchased a single ticket for the same routing......
The likely reason is that purchasing KL/UA flights on same ticket would have been more expensive.@:-) Purchasing two separate tickets to connect is a gamble. You win some, you lose some.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.