Timing of compensation EU 261

Old Oct 10, 17, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Timing of compensation EU 261

I made a claim and 2 hours late I got an email with a voucher and instructions if I wanted to choose a cash compensation rather than a voucher. Which I did.

As a data point. the cash compensation was 400 euro under EU 261 and the voucher for flights was 500. So far, I was also very impressed at how swift the process was and how fair was KLM in acknowledging the problem.

After following the instructions to apply for the cash compensation, I received an email a few days later telling me that it was approved and that I will receive a refund of 400.

This was 11 days ago but the money has not hit my account. On the other hand, the claim for the hotel expenses was in my account a few days later.

Is this normal?
Old Oct 11, 17, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Yes, it can take 2 weeks (or more).
Old Oct 11, 17, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

thanks, I was just concerned that I had screwed up something in my bank details.
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Nope, takes a while. I can also say it's rare to get a response regarding compensation that quickly. Nag them if you haven't gotten it transferred after 4 weeks.
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Yes, it can take 2 weeks (or more).
Originally Posted by caliform View Post
Nope, takes a while.
Of course it does. A bank transfer to a customer who has provided all the necessary details is not at all straightforward. It is such a complicated and laborious task that one has no reason for complaint, even if it takes them several months.

Johan
Carel1 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by palermo View Post
thanks, I was just concerned that I had screwed up something in my bank details.
But I thought you said you had received money from KLM already, based on the same claim.

Or did I misunderstand your earlier statement regarding hotel compensation?
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Of course it does. A bank transfer to a customer who has provided all the necessary details is not at all straightforward. It is such a complicated and laborious task that one has no reason for complaint, even if it takes them several months.

Johan
Slightly off-topic, but I am amazed they come through with it. Posting miles is so arbitrary and slow that I feel like all of it is done manually.
Old Oct 21, 17, 3:22 am
Original Poster

An update on this, the money was in my account. I just had not realised. There were 2 separate transfers on the same day - one for the hotel expense and the other for the 400 euro compensation. I re-checked when I got a reply from KLM that the money had been transferred. All in all very impressed with how fast and efficient the process was.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: