Wiki Posts
Search

Industrial action planned for Friday, September 15th

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Industrial action planned for Friday, September 15th

Unions of KLM cabin crew have called for industrial action this coming Friday, September 15th. This is expected to lead to one-hour work stoppages throughout the day, and consequently to delays and/or cancellations.

I don't know if Cityhopper is affected as well, but my hunch is that they won't be.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by mfkne
Unions of KLM cabin crew have called for industrial action this coming Friday, September 15th. This is expected to lead to one-hour work stoppages throughout the day, and consequently to delays and/or cancellations.

I don't know if Cityhopper is affected as well, but my hunch is that they won't be.
As far as I know, the cabin crew in cityhopper are employed under a different contract (and company) so they will not be participating.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Industrial action will be in effect for KLM operated flights (not KLC)
Flights effected all friday between 05h-23h unless KLM returns back to negotiating table....
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
Unions of KLM cabin crew have called for industrial action this coming Friday, September 15th.
One union has, not the other.

VNC (which has a reputation of mainly looking after the interests of the pursers) is afraid that the other union (FNV Cabine, which has not taken a stand but has asked members to vote on KL's proposals), is afraid that FNV Cabine will sign on the dotted line. If it does, then the new contract will be binding for all. Hence the sudden industrial action. VNC wants KL to withdraw its proposals before FNV Cabine signs up to them.

Johan
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:18 pm

That seems correct Johan...thats how it seems to work though in the Netherlands. A bit strange that KLM can arrange a new labor contract with just 1 union , by far the smallest, with aprox.10.000 cabin staff , represented by 600 via FNV and 6500 VNC (for sure not all Pursers as there are not that many..)this seems even stranger. For sure a very different story with, Air France . Interesting to note is that AF Cabin Unions have recently signed a 5 year labor contract without any substantial savings on labour conditions. Quite a difference with KLM staff which the management forces to save 20% in 5 years......(except the management themselves i guess...) For sure to be continued friday. Interesting to see that KLM doesn't mention anything on their website...
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by splflyer
A bit strange that KLM can arrange a new labor contract with just 1 union , by far the smallest, with aprox.10.000 cabin staff , represented by 600 via FNV and 6500 VNC (for sure not all Pursers as there are not that many..)this seems even stranger.
Your guess is as good as mine, Dutch labor law is not something I'm familiar with.

VNC puts it this way:

"De Ledenraad heeft ons, na het unaniem verwerpen van het KLM-eindbod, opgeroepen om tot actie over te gaan. Dit doen we om op korte termijn doen KLM te forceren hun eindbod in te trekken en weer aan tafel te komen. Als FNV Cabine namelijk ja zegt tegen het eindbod kan KLM een akkoord sluiten met alleen FNV Cabine en dan geldt die CAO voor ons allemaal. "

Source

Johan
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Flying back from LAX tomorrow on KL metal, let's see what happens
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:31 am

left with a 50 min delay

Flight kl 601 to LAX left with like 1 h delay. should ota effect your return flight.
According to school.nl around 25 KLM operated flights are leaving late this morning with delays average 30-40 minutes.
have a safe trip
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
AMS-DUB booked for tonight, fingers crossed. 40 mins delay would make me missing the last public transport connection to my hotel.. taxi would be +80 euros.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Took a quick look at Flightstats. Roughly a third of KL departures delayed today, but that includes KLC and flights operated by partners. Most delays only 20 minutes or so, which is hardly significant.

Johan
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Took a quick look at Flightstats. Roughly a third of KL departures delayed today, but that includes KLC and flights operated by partners. Most delays only 20 minutes or so, which is hardly significant.

Johan
Could as well include delays caused by air traffic control/airport.

Would almost say business as usual.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EricVdb
Could as well include delays caused by air traffic control/airport.
No doubt.

Yet on a day with just fine weather, I would say that having one in three flights delayed is not exactly business as usual.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.