skip final destination of connecting flight and fly elsewhere

Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
skip final destination of connecting flight and fly elsewhere

I have a flight scheduled ATL-AMS-PRG. I would like to go to MAD instead of PRG. It is cheaper to buy a new AMS-MAD ticket than to pay a change fee for my original itinerary. Assuming I will not be checking bags, can I skip the AMS-PRG leg, and fly AMS-MAD instead? Or will KLM invalidate one of them?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe.

You are the mercy of software designed to catch such ticketing fraud and cancel "impossible" tickets.

Whether the software works in your circumstance and whether KL cancels one or both is not something to be predicted with any certainty.

Best to simply book a separate ticket on IB.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Its up to you and how lucky you are

If your ATL-AMS-PRG is one way or the outbound part of your trip , you can do it . But you will need to checkin for your AMS-MAD online and hope no delays will occur

Then what will happen with KL i dont know , it depends of their policies.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:39 pm

Why not just fly to PRG, and book an IB/OK flight from there to MAD?
Otherwise I would check if you can change your current flight so that it includes a length stop-over in AMS, this will allow you to both check in luggage if you wish, and also be able to fly AMS-MAD without any issues.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
ticketing fraud.
Who says it is fraud?

A passenger may have any number of legitimate reasons for changing his plans and destination.

The fact that the OP has purchased a ticket ATL-AMS-PRG doesn't compel him to fly the last sector, or at all, for that matter.

Johan
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:25 am

OP do not buy a ticket on KLM. Buy it on some other airline, and put minimal information in (name, birthdate slightly wrong?), so that there's less chance of an automated system finding the duplicate.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
OP do not buy a ticket on KLM. Buy it on some other airline, and put minimal information in (name, birthdate slightly wrong?), so that there's less chance of an automated system finding the duplicate.
Well, for starters, booking an AMS-MAD flight could *never* be a duplicate of an ATL-AMS-PRG ticket. (No part of it is a duplicate). But there may indeed be scope for the airline to detect a clash. [I am not sure that KLM does this. A good many years ago, I accidentally made two bookings that involved travel on the exact same flight, and many months went past with no notification until I noticed the error myself and rang to have one cancelled]

It is very bad advice to insert the name or birthdate incorrectly.

Secondly, buying a second ticket on a different airline could *never* allow an automated system to "find" said "duplicate".

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 15, 2017 at 1:43 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
This is not 'ticketing fraud' and you're more than fine doing this. You can be delayed, however, and when you miss your AMS-MAD you're on your own in finding your way to your final destination.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
If this is part of a return ticket then when you miss the flight to Prague the rest of the ticket will be cancelled.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Needless to say, if any airline cancelled a valid ticket just because it overlaps with another ticket the same passenger has bought, they'd be be owing transportation and EU261 compensation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.