Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

KL608 cancelled, rebooked on LX but I was planning to earn AS miles

Old Aug 8, 17, 9:49 am
Original Poster

hi there,
I just woke up to an email from KL/DL that my flight on KL has been cancelled...they rebooked me on LX direct, which is the right thing to do, however, in this case I am eyeing my next award on AS and this flight would have earned me the miles towards that goal...
(funny thing KL is still selling seats on my cancelled flight, what does that mean?)

My questions are
1) is there any way I could rebook on either BA, AF or KL in order to earn my AS miles?
2) if so, what is the best strategy when I call KL up? what justification should I use? I want my AS miles seems a bit nutty to the average person, only FTers would understand

Any speedy responses would be appreciated as the departure is tomorrow...

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 17, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post
My questions are
1) is there any way I could rebook on either BA, AF or KL in order to earn my AS miles?
2) if so, what is the best strategy when I call KL up? what justification should I use? I want my AS miles seems a bit nutty to the average person, only FTers would understand
1) No. KLM's contract with you is to transport you from A to B, not to transport you in a manner that earns AS miles. As the late cancellation also makes it possible that you will become eligible for late arrival compensation, angling to be put on to other flights - with possibly later arrival times - would leave KLM open to further expense. [LX39 should get you into ZRH at 16:00, which is ahead of the 16:45 arrival time that I guess you would have had if you were travelleing KL608 followed by KL1961]
2) Rather than contact KL, I would instead send a retro mileage credit request to AS after the fact. Send your original ticket and itinerary (along with boarding passes if you had already had them issued), together with copies of the correspondence from KLM showing that your flights were cancelled and that you were rebooked. I have no experience whatsoever with AS, but the same thing happened to me twice this year, and in both cases, Alitalia Millemiglia applied the miles for the originally-booked flights and sectors.

(Don't forget to claim miles for your LX flight in whatever Star Alliance programme you may have!)
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
1) No. KLM's contract with you is to transport you from A to B, not to transport you in a manner that earns AS miles. As the late cancellation also makes it possible that you will become eligible for late arrival compensation, angling to be put on to other flights - with possibly later arrival times - would leave KLM open to further expense. [LX39 should get you into ZRH at 16:00, which is ahead of the 16:45 arrival time that I guess you would have had if you were travelleing KL608 followed by KL1961]
2) Rather than contact KL, I would instead send a retro mileage credit request to AS after the fact. Send your original ticket and itinerary (along with boarding passes if you had already had them issued), together with copies of the correspondence from KLM showing that your flights were cancelled and that you were rebooked. I have no experience whatsoever with AS, but the same thing happened to me twice this year, and in both cases, Alitalia Millemiglia applied the miles for the originally-booked flights and sectors.

(Don't forget to claim miles for your LX flight in whatever Star Alliance programme you may have!)
Thanks for the swift reply, surprising that AZ credited you the miles for non-flown sectors, I would think that my request would be met with 'sorry, no miles for a flight that never took off etc...'
Yes, will be sure to credit my LX flight on a *A programme!
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no guarantee, but most programmes will give what is called "Original Routing Credit" if requested; though perhaps Alaska to KLM is just a jump too far for that. It is definitely worth a try.

I only noticed after posting that you said KLM are still selling tickets for tomorrow's KL608 - are you sure that the flight has been cancelled? What wording, exactly, is used in whatever communication you received? Were you notified by text/email or by phone call?

EDIT: It turns out that tomorrows KL607, which turns around to become your KL608, has indeed apparently been cancelled (they have been having trouble with the 787 fleet of late, though maybe this is a 777). It seems they have not yet remembered to stop sales for these flights!
Attached Images  
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:10 am

Programs: FB Plat
Once AS rebooked us from a DL/KL flights (booked on KLM) to Icelandair flights (my worst flight ever). Calling Flying Blue afterwards, especially since it was a horrible experience, they just credited us the miles and qualifying flight of the initial itinary.
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:11 am
Original Poster

There is no guarantee, but most programmes will give what is called "Original Routing Credit" if requested; though perhaps Alaska to KLM is just a jump too far for that. It is definitely worth a try.

I only noticed after posting that you said KLM are still selling tickets for tomorrow's KL608 - are you sure that the flight has been cancelled? What wording, exactly, is used in whatever communication you received? Were you notified by text/email or by phone call?
Notified by KLM by email, heading: 'Cancellation- Flight KL0608'
Next email from DL, with new flights booked
when I looked at flight status it shows cancelled, but when I make a dummy booking they are selling tickets...
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier View Post
Notified by KLM by email, heading: 'Cancellation- Flight KL0608'
Next email from DL, with new flights booked
when I looked at flight status it shows cancelled, but when I make a dummy booking they are selling tickets...
See my updated message above.

Tomorrow's KL606 departs at 13:55 as scheduled; it's likely to be already full, but if you really want to travel KLM, pick up the phone immediately and see if you can be accommodated on the earlier service instead.

And please report back!
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:13 am
Original Poster

oh wait, at the bottom of the email from KL, it says that you can change if you don't want to take the proposed flight or seat and that you can change online...will see what they offer online, if not good, then will try to call...
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Accor Gold
Yes, you can ask KLM to re-book you on another airline including BA. Last time when Air France and KLM cancelled my flights, I could re-book on anything I suggested (BA, LH, AC, AA, DL). They even allowed me to change my final destination.
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:35 am
Original Poster

EDIT: It turns out that tomorrows KL607, which turns around to become your KL608, has indeed apparently been cancelled (they have been having trouble with the 787 fleet of late, though maybe this is a 777). It seems they have not yet remembered to stop sales for these flights!
thanks for the detective work...! I just called AS to see if they do Original Routing Credit for KL, and they said no, so I will now try to change with KL to the BA flight.
Old Aug 8, 17, 10:47 am
Original Poster

yes, KL 607/608 is indeed 787-9 thats why I booked it for the reverse herringbone cabin...
still having trouble with the Dreamliner fleet? I would have hoped that they have passed the growing pains stage by now...!
Old Aug 8, 17, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Update: just got off the phone with KL/DL, changing was no big deal, agent found the flights I wanted before I could even finish saying 'British Airw....'
She put me on hold while she called BA to double check they would accept it, and when she got back to me, it was already booked. The best part, I now earn 450% AS miles as it is a full J fare, instead of the 225% I would have on KL...!
Old Aug 8, 17, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well done. Just make sure to verify that your ticket is reissued properly and watch your PNR and seat assignments for problems.
Old Aug 8, 17, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Result! But the BA seat and food is below KL's standard....
Old Aug 8, 17, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Result! But the BA seat and food is below KL's standard....
I agree that the BA seat is worse than the KL Dreamliner seat, but for the food I find it's debatable...in my experience, KL offers the least elegant presentation for business class and the choices are usually very homey/stewy comfort food dishes (albeit usually tasty, like veggie soups etc)...which is ok however I find those kind of dishes makes one more gassy...lol
Do you have the same experience guys?

As for the seat, being an FTer I did my research before calling to rebook (checked out the seat map to see what was available) and it seems seats at the back of the cabin not occupied, so if I can have 2 seats to myself on BA (aisle for meal and middle for bed with raised dividers) that's a pretty good situation too...

Anyway, thanks to all who weighed in on this situation, that's what I love about FT, the general interest we take in each other's travels/problems/solutions.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: