Does KLM create an itinerary / confirmation number before purchase?

Old Jul 27, 17, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AGR, DL
Does KLM create an itinerary / confirmation number before purchase?

Sounds like a simple question, but something odd just happened.

Was researching a trip UK > Colombia > USA > UK on KLM. Reached the 4th of 5 booking stages on klm.com (payment) but stopped there. Headed over to Delta.com to check my SkyMiles account, and I see that the trip is already in 'My Trips'.

It has a confirmation # and passenger status in "confirmed" for all flights...

Is this a sort of interim confirmation status, before payment has been processed and the flight has been ticketed?
Old Jul 27, 17, 5:08 am

Programs: Many
Answer is yes: PNR is created but on AF/KL website should appear with "pending" status.
Old Jul 27, 17, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
All airlines and travel agents do. A reservation is created in order to obtain a price quote, which quote is valid for a limited time [which, depending on airline or agent, you may be able to extend by paying a "Fare Lock" or "Price Hold" fee] during which time payment must be received; some time later (it is not always instantaneous on receipt of payment) an e-ticket is generated.

It is not the generation of the e-ticket that creates the PNR - the pre-existence of the PNR is necessary before you can even get to the situation of having an e-ticket issued.
Old Jul 28, 17, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AGR, DL
Thanks both
Old Jul 28, 17, 4:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Goes for most airlines, by the way. You can tie up an entire cabin on JetBlue as any booking that goes to the payment page locks in the seat for at least a few hours.

Search this Thread