Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Before/After departure - before flight departure or before my departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find flights AMS-SFO for September, which are reasonably flexible in terms of no-show and changes.

I'm confused with Before/After departure.

Is this before/after the flight departure? Or is it before/after I fly my first leg?

Example:
CANCELLATIONS
BEFORE DEPARTURE
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED FOR CANCEL/REFUND

CANCELLATIONS
AFTER DEPARTURE
CHARGE USD 300,00 FOR NO-SHOW
If before/after departure means my departure then no-show for the first leg will be fully refunded, i.e. no-show before (my) departure.
If I fly the first leg, no-show is 300$

BUT if before/after departure is about departure of the flight (with or without me) then I should read this rule as no-show is $300 at all times.

So, what do experts know about before/after departure?
Are there any links to airline rules where they explain what it actually means?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:00 am
Original Poster

In other words: does "No-show before departure" exist?
If yes then before/after means before/after my departure.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:28 am

Before/after flying your first leg, is this a OW or a RT ticket you are looking at?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Before/after flying your first leg, is this a OW or a RT ticket you are looking at?
That's one way, 3 legs
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:35 am

Did this twice somehow.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Versusnja
That's one way, 3 legs
Regardless, "before departure" means before the first flight on your ticket.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:57 am

That's one way, 3 legs
So then it's pretty straight forward, if you cancel before the first flight - you get full refund
If you cancel after, i.e. you're a no-show, you pay 300$
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Ditto: from your point of view, if I don't show up for the first leg and apply for a refund the next day after the flight: do I pay NO-SHOW fee of $300?

CyBer: so, you think No-show for the first leg will be for free?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:49 am

Ditto: from your point of view, if I don't show up for the first leg and apply for a refund the next day after the flight: do I pay NO-SHOW fee of $300?
Yes
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Yes
That's where it becomes confusing.
We agreed that AFTER DEPARTURE is after I fly. I didn't fly because I didn't show up for the flight. So, we are not looking at the AFTER DEPARTURE, right?

While BEFORE DEPARTURE says it's free to cancel.
I'm reading this a No-Show is free before I fly.

What is your logic?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:57 am

After departure of your flight, whether you are there or not doesn't matter, there is no point in playing word games
Of course if you fly it, no refund is due
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

You see, the problem is that LOT, for instance has fares where NO-SHOW is different before departure of flight and after the departure.

In particular they say

BEFORE DEPARTURE
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED FOR CANCEL/NO-SHOW/REFUND

AFTER CANCELLATION
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE
We called them and they confirmed: if you don't fly the first leg, No-show is fully refundable, no fee. If you fly one leg - it is not refundable.

In this case they interpret BEFORE/AFTER departure as departure of the flight, not the passenger.
However with the rule above you are saying that it doesn't matter if I fly - No-show is no-show anyway.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:54 am

CyBer: so, you think No-show for the first leg will be for free?
If you cancel before departure (of the first flight), then you can receive a full refund. If you cancel after its departure (i.e., you no-show) then you pay a $300 fee.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You see, the problem is that LOT, for instance has fares where NO-SHOW is different before departure of flight and after the departure.
Regardless of what LOT says (maybe they should consult a native English speaker), you can only be a no show if you do not show up for a flight, and have not canceled your ticket. So by definition you can only be a no show after departure (or, if you want to nitpick, from the moment the flight has been closed in the airline's departure handling system and you have been off-loaded).

Johan
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Regardless of what LOT says (maybe they should consult a native English speaker), you can only be a no show if you do not show up for a flight, and have not canceled your ticket. So by definition you can only be a no show after departure (or, if you want to nitpick, from the moment the flight has been closed in the airline's departure handling system and you have been off-loaded).

Johan
I was having some trouble with this wording too. It is not logically possible to no-show for a flight you've cancelled, and vice versa if you no-show for a flight then it's not possible that you cancelled it.

In any case, the KL policy is clear: no-showing (i.e., not cancelling and then not showing up) incurs a $300 fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.