Any pictures of the First class cabin from the 1960s?

Old Jul 11, 17, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Any pictures of the First class cabin from the 1960s?

My mom emigrated from Thailand to the US in 1961, and she thinks her parents got her a first class ticket on KLM. She remembers the seat for the long-distance segment as being enclosed (similar to SQ suites?), and there being a minibar/fridge with fruits and stuff. According to Wikipedia's page on KLM, it sounds like she would've been on a DC-8. Does anyone know where to find vintage pics of KLMs cabins from that era? I tried Google Image search, but didn't spot anything. My mom wants to see it again, and I'm curious too. It certainly sounds really fancy
Old Jul 12, 17, 4:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Royal Class like then I believe looked like this according to ads.

Can others confirm
?
Old Jul 12, 17, 4:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
I believe the KLM 747-400's had the first class cabin in the front of the nose and business class on the upper deck, until they revamped them into the new world business class

Can't find any pics though

edit: oh here we go: https://www.catawiki.com/catalog/avi...lasse-apart-01

Last edited by Wunk; Jul 12, 17 at 5:05 am
Old Jul 12, 17, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
I did not browse through all pages but you can find a lot of historic photo's here.
Old Jul 12, 17, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
from Ralph's link - a few photos of the DC-8 from the late 1960s/1970. Does not appear to have the "suites" that the OP's Mum recalls.

Passenger service on board a DC-8-63, 1969
Royal Class (i.e. First Class) service on board a DC-8, 1970
Johan Cruijff in a DC-8 with a bag of "Treets" (now called M&Ms), 1968
Old Jul 12, 17, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wunk View Post
I believe the KLM 747-400's had the first class cabin in the front of the nose and business class on the upper deck
On their first 747s (747-200), F was in the nose, with a F class lounge and bar on the upper deck. There was a spiral staircase connecting the two.

I've flown on most KL aircraft from the Lockheed Constellation onwards in Royal Class, including the 747 and DC8-63. None of them had suites, but the DC8-63 did a have a small lounge at the front of the F cabin on the port side: 2+2 seats with a table in the middle. The senior purser could at his discretion invite F pax to take their meals in that lounge. As we were a family of four, we were a natural pick.

I'll rummage around for pics next time I'm home, but I doubt I have any. Plenty of cloudscapes, pictures of aircraft on the tarmac etc, but we were not in the habit of taking cabin interior pics.

Johan
Old Jul 13, 17, 2:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
..., but we were not in the habit of taking cabin interior pics.
Johan
No smartphones, eh?

Search this Thread