FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Conflicting information - minimum age exit row (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1839376-conflicting-information-minimum-age-exit-row.html)

john c wisconsin Apr 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Conflicting information - minimum age exit row

Background...
Family trip from ORD to Europe on KLM 747 combi. I secured the exit row B and C seats for myself and wife. A can not be booked in advanced as it is considered a crappy seat and they mark it for day of assignment only. That seat has a part of the door that bumps out making leg room only as good as normal Y class seat (even though it looks like a great exit row seat). So for my 14 year old daughter I booked another aisle seat just ahead of us.

My online seat purchase went though and hit my credit card as pending but when I double checked next day most of my assignments had dropped off. Called 800 number, got elevated to the "seating" desk. entire transaction had failed, she blamed it on AF web site talking to KLM.

In talking with the helpful agent I confirmed what the minimum age for KLM is for the exit row. She looked it up and said it was "over 12". Then she put me on hold and even confirmed with what I assume was a supervisor.

Next she had the magic power and helped me to book my daughter into exit row A seat so now we have exit row ABC... one happy family.

Several days later I did a search and find that for the FAA...
code of federal regulations Title 14 › Chapter I › Subchapter G › Part 121 › Subpart T › Section 121.585 - (a)(3)(b)(1)
the minimum age is 15.

Question...
Does anyone know if the FAA rules apply because KLM is a certificate holder in the US and the flight is originating here or does their lower age apply because they are based outside of the US?

I want to resolve before we are sitting in the seats and the flight attendant is the first one to ask and make us move my daughter out of the exit row. I have the same set up for return flight and suspect it will not be an issue departing AMS

Thoughts? Experience with this specifically on KLM?

Thanks

irishguy28 Apr 28, 2017 4:01 am

You are travelling as a family unit. Unless you are unable or unwilling to assist your 12 year old in the event of an emergency - meaning that you are confirming that the 12 year old is the most capable person in your group, physically and intellectually - then there is no problem.

Otherwise, please move your group to a different row.

john c wisconsin Apr 28, 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 28240082)
You are travelling as a family unit. Unless you are unable or unwilling to assist your 12 year old in the event of an emergency - meaning that you are confirming that the 12 year old is the most capable person in your group, physically and intellectually - then there is no problem.

Otherwise, please move your group to a different row.

Thanks Irishguy28... I suspect my 14 year old may be of the personal teenager opinion she is the more physically and intellectually capable then her parents but I assure you she is not. Some day I am sure but not there yet :)

caliform Apr 28, 2017 12:12 pm

As a family, you'll be OK.