Why is KLM such a mixed bag?

Old Apr 19, 17, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Why is KLM such a mixed bag?

AMS is very easy to navigate, but the showers in the KLM lounge don't have a toilet inside and the very large sink doesn't have soap.

The soft product in J is very good: food (AVML) is better than Delta's. However, the lights were on for the entire duration of the (daytime) flight (AMS-SLC).

FAs were very good too, but meal service in J took 4 hours (from departure time). On other airlines, in my experience, on average, meals start 1 hour after departure and take maybe 30 - 45 minutes?

Amenity kit does not have some essential items: lotion (yes, I realize they have that in the bathrooms), lip balm, tissues, facial wipe or mouthwash. At some point Delta even had a glass cleaning cloth.

Has anyone else noticed such stark contrast between the good and the bad with KLM?
Old Apr 20, 17, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
Amenity kit does not have some essential items: lotion (yes, I realize they have that in the bathrooms), lip balm, tissues, facial wipe or mouthwash.
Yep, the amenity kit is embarrassingly basic.

I've got pics somewhere of what a KLM amenity kit looked like in the Good Old Days. Should I find them, I'll post them here.

Johan
Old Apr 20, 17, 2:05 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post

I've got pics somewhere of what a KLM amenity kit looked like in the Good Old Days. Should I find them, I'll post them here.

Johan
Remember the amazing tin box?
Old Apr 20, 17, 2:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Meal service shouldn't take that long, certainly. It's not a hugely mixed bag to me; it's just not an exceptional airline. For me they consistently do what I want them to, just like JetBlue domestically. I don't expect too much, though.
Old Apr 20, 17, 5:31 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
I had both KLM J kit and AF W kit in my hands recently and basically the content is the same :/
Old Apr 21, 17, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
And before that the whole set, consisting of a shoe bag, pencil case, toilet bag, ticket wallet (yep, that was back in the paper ticket days) etc.

High quality and very durable. A pencil case I use for cables, chargers and batteries is still going strong 20+ years later. Contents were top notch too.

Johan
Old Apr 21, 17, 2:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
And before that the whole set, consisting of a shoe bag, pencil case, toilet bag, ticket wallet (yep, that was back in the paper ticket days) etc.

High quality and very durable. A pencil case I use for cables, chargers and batteries is still going strong 20+ years later. Contents were top notch too.

Johan
as a younger KL flyer I'd love to see it, if you have a photo. Sounds nice.
Old Apr 23, 17, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
AMS is very easy to navigate, but the showers in the KLM lounge don't have a toilet inside and the very large sink doesn't have soap.
In the Netherlands, it is not uncommon for toilet facilities to be provided separately from bathing facilities.

Particularly in communal facilities, this speeds up access for all. It is less efficient to have a toilet "locked away" in a shower cubicle which is off limits to all for the entirety of the duration of someone who is undressing, showering, and re-dressing (we all know people who take far too long at these tasks). That same toilet, if installed elsewhere, is available and can be used by multiple people instead of being reserved for ages for the person taking a shower....who also cannot use both facilities simultaneously
Old Apr 24, 17, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
In the Netherlands, it is not uncommon for toilet facilities to be provided separately from bathing facilities.
Nothing stops them from providing both.

In my experience, most lounge showers also have toilets.

Johan
Old Apr 24, 17, 10:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm not sure how not having a toilet is such an issue and makes the KLM experience a 'mixed bag'. Plenty of lounge shortcomings, but that is what I'd consider a nitpick.
Old Apr 24, 17, 12:00 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post

Particularly in communal facilities, this speeds up access for all. It is less efficient to have a toilet "locked away" in a shower cubicle which is off limits to all for the entirety of the duration of someone who is undressing, showering, and re-dressing (we all know people who take far too long at these tasks). That same toilet, if installed elsewhere, is available and can be used by multiple people instead of being reserved for ages for the person taking a shower....who also cannot use both facilities simultaneously
This is to prevent passengers like me, who sits on the throne to do a number 2 before showering after a red eye and spending total 45mins in the shower room

The shower room at DTW's DL SkyClub also doesn't have a toilet in it. I believe ATL's and JFK's DL SkyClub has toilet in the shower room, so guys can do all 3S.
Old Apr 24, 17, 2:19 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
I like the old tin box ( circa 2002) they made a great pencil box

in fact i still have 2 in daily usage today !

Last edited by psollitt; Apr 24, 17 at 2:19 pm Reason: last bit ...
Old Apr 25, 17, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psollitt View Post
I like the old tin box ( circa 2002) they made a great pencil box
I use them for bits and bobs in the workshop.

Johan
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Oh wow Johan, thanks so, so much for sharing. I get a real kick out of this stuff. Is this all from the personal collection?
Old Apr 28, 17, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform View Post
Oh wow Johan, thanks so, so much for sharing. I get a real kick out of this stuff. Is this all from the personal collection?
The pic of the 1977 amenity kit is from last year's Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen diary. The theme that year was How Loud is Blue? KLM's blue is pretty loud, I guess, so the airline qualified for the Blue as a Brand section.

The rest are all mine, I use them to store all sorts of things.

I've got all sorts of other KLM stuff, I'll see what I can find in closets and drawers.

Johan

Search this Thread