FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   KL0651 AMS-IAD Cancelled? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1836800-kl0651-ams-iad-cancelled.html)

sophthecorn Apr 15, 2017 1:52 am

KL0651 AMS-IAD Cancelled?

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone knew why my flight from Amsterdam to Washington Dulles was cancelled for the 20th of April? I received a cancellation email 2 days ago. Do they not have to give me a reason why?

I was also wondering if I have any ground to chase a compensation. The flight they rebooked me with Air France is going to arrive 3 hours and 10 mins later (if Air France is actually on time). If I understand correctly the delay time in order to apply for a compensation should be 4 hours for such a long hull flight (Athens-Washington)?

Thank you all so much in advance. Last time I had to deal with a similar issue you were all very helpful.

Xandrios Apr 15, 2017 4:05 am

For flights over 3500 miles the delay indeed has to be over 4 hours to receive any kind of compensation. So if you arrive with 50+ minutes additional delay the compensation clause would apply.

The operator does not have to disclose why the flight was canceled, unless you would be filing a compensation claim - at which point they will most probably argue that the reason for the cancellation is outside of their control. Which in this case would probably be easy to refute.

Enjoy Easter in Greece! Kalo pascha :)

KLflyerRalph Apr 15, 2017 5:49 am

Compensation may be due based on the time the airline informed you about the cancellation:

Article 5

Cancellation

1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:

(a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8; and

(b) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2), as well as, in event of re-routing when the reasonably expected time of departure of the new flight is at least the day after the departure as it was planned for the cancelled flight, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c); and

(c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:

(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or

(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or

(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
If they informed you less than 7 days before scheduled departure of the original flight, you are due E300 in compensation. (EDIT: corrected amount)

Often1 Apr 15, 2017 5:59 am

However, the compensation amount is halved if between 3 and 4 hours on a Type 3 flight, which this is. Thus, EUR 300.

The carrier is not obligated to provide a reason for the cancellation, but it would be, of course, good customer service to have done so and if the reason were an "extraordinary circumstance" would forestall needless claims.

If you file a claim, it will be for KL to either pay or deny your claim and provide a reason and then to prove that reason in litigation should you pursue your claim. It would be rather hard to prove an "extraordinary circumstance" for a cancellation 2 days prior to the flight for a departure from the carrier's worldwide hub.

sophthecorn Apr 20, 2017 5:28 am

Thank you all for your very helpful replies.

I have another question. They rebooked me via Paris with Air France instead, except the layover was very long. Almost 9 hours. Thankfully my plane leaves soon, however I was wondering do they not need to provide with any short of voucher for forcing me to stay in Paris for 9 hours without that being my choice? I obviously had to eat and spend money and I feel like they should have at least given me the typical voucher they offer. When I asked for one they said they can't offer any. Do you think it would be worth to claim the money I spent at the airport back? It's obviously not that much and I don't honestly care but it did annoy me how they took zero responsibility.

I also don't understand why they didn't remove their cancelled flight from their website. Like up till 5 mins ago the flight was "scheduled for departure in 18 mins" and it ONLY just got cancelled. Until yesterday I could actually book the same flight on their website even though it was cancelled days before.

I hope they're not as shady when I claim the 300E compensation.

Once again thank you very much for all the help.

Goldorak Apr 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by sophthecorn (Post 28204630)
Thank you all for your very helpful replies.

I have another question. They rebooked me via Paris with Air France instead, except the layover was very long. Almost 9 hours. Thankfully my plane leaves soon, however I was wondering do they not need to provide with any short of voucher for forcing me to stay in Paris for 9 hours without that being my choice? I obviously had to eat and spend money and I feel like they should have at least given me the typical voucher they offer. When I asked for one they said they can't offer any. Do you think it would be worth to claim the money I spent at the airport back? It's obviously not that much and I don't honestly care but it did annoy me how they took zero responsibility.

I also don't understand why they didn't remove their cancelled flight from their website. Like up till 5 mins ago the flight was "scheduled for departure in 18 mins" and it ONLY just got cancelled. Until yesterday I could actually book the same flight on their website even though it was cancelled days before.

I hope they're not as shady when I claim the 300E compensation.

Once again thank you very much for all the help.

9hrs ???? Where were you coming from ?

caliform May 1, 2017 8:51 am

This has now reached such embarrassing proportions that KLM is letting Delta do part of its AMS-JFK route.

See Dutch news here.