Automatic passport control gates at AMS

Old Apr 3, 17, 3:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MME (midway between NCL and LBA)
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Posts: 608
Automatic passport control gates at AMS

Horrendous queues this morning at the non-Schengen>Schengen passport control. The EU queue must have had 500 people in it waiting use the automatic gates.

Each gate takes 25 seconds on average (I was bored) between passengers. Only 5/6 gates were working so an average of 5 seconds per person. 500 people in the queue equates to a 41 minute wait on average.

I don't want to sound like a technophobe but this is not really progress in my eyes as the Marechaussee don't take anything like 25 seconds to check a passport.

No policing of queue jumpers either by Schiphol staff which made things worse.

For non-EU passport holders it was even worse. A similar queue length to the EU line but only 2 Marechaussee officers checking passports. This is at 8:30 on a Monday morning.

I have never seen it this bad before.
tigertanaka is offline  
Old Apr 3, 17, 5:09 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,524
Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
I don't want to sound like a technophobe but this is not really progress in my eyes as the Marechaussee don't take anything like 25 seconds to check a passport.
It depends on how much they check it, if they just wave PAX through then it takes less than 5 seconds, but if they decide to scan it, check with a magnifying glass etc. then it takes longer..

It is already quite impressive that 5 gates were operational, how many KMARs were there in total? only 2 for non-EU passports?
Ditto is offline  
Old Apr 3, 17, 5:24 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 5,004
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
It depends on how much they check it, if they just wave PAX through then it takes less than 5 seconds, but if they decide to scan it,
Which they will have to do for all PAX, even EU/NL, now.
KLflyerRalph is offline  
Old Apr 3, 17, 5:29 am
  #4  
q
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 179
25 seconds is not bad at all. My first time going thru the auto gates, I put my passport in without opening it ... then a guy had to come over to get it out, not too happy about it (and neither were the people waiting behind). Next time, staff were around and attentive that everyone does the right thing
q is offline  
Old Apr 3, 17, 9:15 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MME (midway between NCL and LBA)
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Posts: 608
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
It is already quite impressive that 5 gates were operational, how many KMARs were there in total? only 2 for non-EU passports?
I think there were 5 in total. 2x non-EU, 2x short transfers & 1x behind the EU scanners. I would be interested to know in what circumstances Schiphol/Marechausse would fully staff all the desks. It was extremely busy this morning - as busy as I have seen it apart in the last few years apart from just after the attacks in Paris & Brussels.

Originally Posted by q View Post
25 seconds is not bad at all. My first time going thru the auto gates, I put my passport in without opening it ... then a guy had to come over to get it out, not too happy about it (and neither were the people waiting behind). Next time, staff were around and attentive that everyone does the right thing
25 seconds was the typical time, some were about 20 seconds but one person was 50.

I really need to look into Previum...
tigertanaka is offline  
Old Apr 3, 17, 1:17 pm
  #6  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Posts: 1,593
I have a feeling there will be a lot of Privium memberships purchased this year...
caliform is online now  
Old Apr 3, 17, 1:28 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,622
Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
Horrendous queues this morning at the non-Schengen>Schengen passport control. The EU queue must have had 500 people in it waiting use the automatic gates. This is at 8:30 on a Monday morning.
Sunday a week ago at about the same time, but in the opposite direction, the queues streched back as far as the Grand Café.

Schiphol is in for a long and hot summer.

According to Luchtvaartnieuws.nl KL is finalizing contingency plans to deal with the anticipated chaos.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Old Apr 3, 17, 2:48 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,799
Handbagage wordt vaker ingecheckt in de vertrekhal met minder oponthoud aan de gate tot gevolg.
Fun times ahead.
mfkne is offline  
Old Apr 3, 17, 3:48 pm
  #9  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Posts: 1,593
Any bets if the new temporary departures hall will at least slightly alleviate this?
caliform is online now  
Old Apr 3, 17, 3:53 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 5,004
Originally Posted by caliform View Post
Any bets if the new temporary departures hall will at least slightly alleviate this?
As that is only for Schengen departures, no.
KLflyerRalph is offline  
Old Apr 3, 17, 4:03 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MME (midway between NCL and LBA)
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Posts: 608
If I knew I was in for a 40 minute wait, I would have gone through arrivals and then walked upstairs and back through departures. This trick works well at LHR T5.

It surely would have been quicker? I don't depart from AMS that often so I'm not so aware of how busy Schengen departures gets.
tigertanaka is offline  
Old Apr 3, 17, 4:06 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,622
Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Handbagage wordt vaker ingecheckt in de vertrekhal met minder oponthoud aan de gate tot gevolg.
Good luck with that.

Some 70% of KL pax are transfer pax anyway. As they won't go anywhere near the vertrekhal, they will still show up at the gate with the kitcken sink.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Old Apr 4, 17, 1:37 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,524
Originally Posted by tigertanaka View Post
If I knew I was in for a 40 minute wait, I would have gone through arrivals and then walked upstairs and back through departures. This trick works well at LHR T5.

It surely would have been quicker? I don't depart from AMS that often so I'm not so aware of how busy Schengen departures gets.
I think that wouldn't have worked for you... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28126452-post90.html
Ditto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread