Long haul meal/snacks

Old Feb 12, 17, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Long haul meal/snacks

Hi. I'm flying KLM to San Francisco from Amsterdam and am wondering if I need to maybe take some additional food items as I'm not sure what to expect in terms of service over a flight of nearly 11 hours. Also, are drinks complimentary on these flights? With many airlines I've used they are, or at very least the tea/coffee and soft drinks certainly are.

Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 17, 7:36 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ♪♪♪ 7 ™
Originally Posted by Helen_C View Post
Hi. I'm flying KLM to San Francisco from Amsterdam and am wondering if I need to maybe take some additional food items as I'm not sure what to expect in terms of service over a flight of nearly 11 hours. Also, are drinks complimentary on these flights? With many airlines I've used they are, or at very least the tea/coffee and soft drinks certainly are.

Thanks.
You wont need to take your own food, there are snacks available between meals. Same with drinks, alcoholic and non alcoholic are available throughout the flight (free).

PS I just noticed you are new here, welcome I hope you find some interesting information and answers.

Last edited by Andy49; Feb 12, 17 at 7:41 pm Reason: Add welcome
Old Feb 13, 17, 1:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Welcome to the forum! I do actually usually pack some snacks if you are flying in economy -- you know best what you like. I like bringing some nuts. They do offer food and snacks for the entire flight and you can also go to the galley for some extra drinks and snacks.

Alcoholic beverages are free, and you even get a nice cognac with coffee if you ask.
Old Feb 14, 17, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated. And thanks for the welcome too. I know that most transatlantic journeys have complimentary items but with a bored hubby, he snacks a lot on these longer flights. I also like to get up and down the isle to the galley and get coffees and nibbles, just to break the monotony and stretch my legs.

I shall report back after our trip next month. Chocks away!
Old Mar 20, 17, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Well fed

Completed the return trip from Amsterdam to San Francisco, which was 11 hours out and 10 back. On both main flights two meals were served, two snacks and coffees etc were available throughout the flights. We did take extra snacks on the first flight just in case, and didn't bother for the return as we felt that enough was available on board. KLM are one of my favourite airlines, of the ones I have used, so I should have just assumed that they would have taken good care of us. Also, on the two Hopper flights we also had to take, snacks with hot/soft drinks were served, which we expected anyway. So we were anything but hungry on our total of around 13 hours of flying each way.

Thanks again for the replies. We had a terrific time in San Francisco.
Old Mar 20, 17, 12:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Helen_C View Post
Completed the return trip from Amsterdam to San Francisco, which was 11 hours out and 10 back. On both main flights two meals were served, two snacks and coffees etc were available throughout the flights. We did take extra snacks on the first flight just in case, and didn't bother for the return as we felt that enough was available on board. KLM are one of my favourite airlines, of the ones I have used, so I should have just assumed that they would have taken good care of us. Also, on the two Hopper flights we also had to take, snacks with hot/soft drinks were served, which we expected anyway. So we were anything but hungry on our total of around 13 hours of flying each way.

Thanks again for the replies. We had a terrific time in San Francisco.
Very happy to hear my home airline and the city I call home both treated you well.

Search this Thread