Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 10:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Huh, exceptional? My last AMS payout for an overnight was 350 euros, I think, and there wasn't a word on it being 'exceptional'. Classic KLM cheapness.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by caliform
Huh, exceptional? My last AMS payout for an overnight was 350 euros, I think, and there wasn't a word on it being 'exceptional'. Classic KLM cheapness.
Maybe you were on a J ticket?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: QF Gold, FB Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold – ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex IHG Plat
What a mess yesterday night. I was on a E175 that landed (on the Polderbaan) before the storm passed over Schiphol. Then Schiphol airport management decided to stop any equipment from being connected, which meant no deboarding. Waited an hour in the plane before being able to reach the terminal.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by gdoubleu
Schiphol airport management decided
Those are standard safety regulations when an electrical storm is within 5km of the airport because a lightning strike can cause severe damage and injury. And there certainly was a lot of activity in that storm last night.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbams
Those are standard safety regulations when an electrical storm is within 5km of the airport because a lightning strike can cause severe damage and injury.
I guess lighting strikes have been capable of causing severe damage and injury for a couple of billion years or so.

The stats are no doubt dodgy, but I suspect that flying may be more dangerous than lightning.

These days the nanny state rules, but I certainly don't run inside and hide if there's a storm within 5 km. I've twice had lighting strike within 15 meters of me, but that didn't change my mind.

Johan
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gdoubleu
What a mess yesterday night.
The weather was perfectly fine at AMS yesterday, yet we were held at our departure airport due to "congestion in Amsterdam".

Is ATC still having problems?

Johan
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:29 am

Wednesday night we waited more than 1,5 hour on the tarmac at CDG because of the weather in Amsterdam. Very bumpy flight and service couldn't be finishes because of the turbulence.

Eventually delayed for 1 hour.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Heavy winds are forecast for AMS for tomorrow, June 8th all day.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
I'm flying tomorrow from AMS but no warnings are given.

Strange, normally KLM is pro active.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing worse than any halfway decent airport should be able to handle, especially one with lots of runways.

Johan
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I checked the website several times yesterday, and again this morning, and there was no rebooking info. It was blustery in Den Haag, but the only message was about the runway restrictions, and the stormy weather yesterday in Paris. They even texted me at noon to tell me that everyone was advised to check in handbaggage for free due to a full flight. That was somewhat reassuring; the annoying this is, that I could have easily come in for an earlier flight.

My early afternoon flight to TXL was cancelled just as I was checking in luggage; since then, the following flight I was rebooked onto has been cancelled too.

The last remaining flight of the day is likely well oversubscribed by now; the remaining Easyjet flights to SXF are also no longer available for purchase.

The app/website, which earlier allowed rebooking, is now unable to do so; I joined the line at the lounge in order to join the line to be called to speak to an agent to be rebooked.

A complete shambles, to be honest.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Nothing worse than any halfway decent airport should be able to handle, especially one with lots of runways.

Johan
Flew this morning from AMS to BLL and tracked the aircraft on Flightradar. Aircraft arrived maybe 10 min late from LHR but still an hour time for the turn around to BLL. Suddenly I get this on the app:

Not cool of course. Reason: late incoming aircraft. I asked the agent to get me rebooked on another flight. Didn’t feel like waiting 10 hours in the lounge. She rebooked be on the KL1345 at 12:55.
Then after 5 min my name is called in the lounge and she told me the KL1343 is departing at 10:20, so only 15 min delayed.
It was apparently a glitch. Luckily!

So I flew reasonably on time on KL1343.

Strange incident though.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: FB, MM
Most of the flights were heavily delayed, some were cancelled. The departure flight board was heavily red...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Looks like it's still going on. I'm sitting just now in GVA with a lengthy delay on the KL1930. Was hoping to have enough time for a visit to the nice new lounge in AMS.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:33 am

Everything is delayed today. Heavy thunderstorms this morning caused the trouble plus limited airspace in Germany.
I was in the KL1651 AMS-VCE today, quite heavily delayed as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.