Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ticino
Fog today so I am stuck in a plane hoping for the fog to clear. 2 to 3 hours said the captain. They made us board to be ready if it clears.
So what happened?

Johan

Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh boy, oh boy, they are at it again!

This time it's the wind: all of 10 m/s, gusting to 15 m/s. Hardly something to get excited about, but the wind is northwesterly, so they don't have a single properly aligned runway.

KL has canceled almost 50 flights.

Johan
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Looking forward to my 6pm flight then..
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:06 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'm scheduled to be flying in at 22:35, about 25 minutes before the last train of the day departs. Hope things will have calmed down by then! Missing that train would be a bit of a practical problem..
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Oh boy, oh boy, they are at it again!

This time it's the wind: all of 10 m/s, gusting to 15 m/s. Hardly something to get excited about, but the wind is northwesterly, so they don't have a single properly aligned runway.

KL has canceled almost 50 flights.

Johan
Felt quite a bit stronger as I drove round Schiphol-Rijk this morning (Google Maps sometimes takes me round the airport if something happens round Badhoevedorp. Nice spotting in places, got a Baltic 737 and Jet A330 land above my head.)

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I'm scheduled to be flying in at 22:35, about 25 minutes before the last train of the day departs. Hope things will have calmed down by then! Missing that train would be a bit of a practical problem..
Last train of the day? 22:50? Seems a bit early.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Just after 11PM is the last train to the Eastern part of the country. But I'm happy to say that I made it, even though we departed with about half hour delay. The otherwise quite empty terminal at Schiphol was still very active at 11 today...seems quite some flights came in very late today.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
So what happened?
Johan
We took off after 3 hours, the captain's initial worst-case scenario. Lots of people had long-haul connections they couldn't make, but our next flight was also heavily delayed so we ran and managed to get in despite having been offloaded. Our bags didn't make it though. At the airport in Zürich they couldn't tell us whether our bags were on the next flight even though it had already left Amsterdam. Not too happy with the lack of information available when bags get delayed. Because we were continuing to southern Switzerland we hang around for an hour hoping the bags would be on the flight, but they weren't.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Just after 11PM is the last train to the Eastern part of the country. But I'm happy to say that I made it, even though we departed with about half hour delay. The otherwise quite empty terminal at Schiphol was still very active at 11 today...seems quite some flights came in very late today.

pretty much every flight was affected
hopeful_me and caliform like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was debating with myself whether to fly via AMS last Monday or Tuesday. For reasons other than the weather forecast, I picked Tuesday. Due to the AMS mess I would have missed my connection on Monday, so in hindsight I was really pleased with my decision. On Tuesday my first flight was right on time, but then the next one went tech. It finally departed 21 hours late. The weather was really nice, though.

Johan
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:04 am

Thick fog earlier today caused multiple delays at Schiphol.. how that none of you got affected.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
The airport is fine today, but those travelling to/from Leiden, den Haag and Hilversum and further to/from Schiphol airport by train have to count on major delays due to a broken overhead wire and works at Leiden station. Will last at least to 17.00 (see: www.ns.nl).
Old May 7, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM reports that all these cancelations have cost it €25m in the first quarter.

Johan
Old May 14, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now what?!?

Just saw this on the KL website:

"Amsterdam Airport Schiphol - Delays due to restricted runway capacity

The restricted runway capacity at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol may cause delays for KLM flights and can even lead to some cancellations. The delays may cause inconvenience to some of our customers. KLM deeply regrets this and is doing its utmost to limit any inconvenience this may cause and to ensure that everyone gets to their final destination as quickly as possible."
Old May 15, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Just saw this on the KL website:

"Amsterdam Airport Schiphol - Delays due to restricted runway capacity

The restricted runway capacity at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol may cause delays for KLM flights and can even lead to some cancellations. The delays may cause inconvenience to some of our customers. KLM deeply regrets this and is doing its utmost to limit any inconvenience this may cause and to ensure that everyone gets to their final destination as quickly as possible."
been there for a week now orso, the lvnl got some software upgrade from what I heard and seems it is giving some problems.my flight on Saturday got a 2 hour delay,and did not look well for a lot of other flights(not only KL),when I look now it looks a lot better as on Saturday 80% of flights was delayed on the screens when I got there.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yep, also heard from an FA that the new ATC software was causing lots of issues. Very comforting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.